Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

I work in an ICU. I am post op day 10, I go back to work next Wednesday Night (I work 12 hour night shifts). My weight restrictions are no more than 35 pounds for 2 months. To prevent incisional herniation!

Good luck @@TMG1980TMG

I am an NP in the DFW, having a band to sleeve procedure nearly 1 month ago now. Despite following the post op instructions TO A TEE, i have only lost 12 lbs. kinda discouraged, because the thought of failing a second wt loss surgery is devastating. i lost 100 lbs with the band, but overtime and after some band complications, I gained it all back.

Anyhow, i was told by the NP in my surgeon's office that wt loss after band-to-sleeve procedures are slower for some reason which she could not explain.

Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so, why?

Hi, I am an RN in Texas. I got sleeved in February, and so far so good. Right at about 30 lbs lost. I think I am going into a stall right now. I could use advice on food choices. I'm just starting soft foods, and I have to chew chew chew....Sometimes it seems not even worth it to eat. I literally puree my food in my mouth before swallowing, and I still have to force up little burps often. Any soft food advice?

@@LDAF Greetings! I'm an RN living in PA and works in Baltimore Maryland, about an hour south. For soft foods, Soup was my friend and vegetarian chili. Also cheese sticks were great buddies! If you are a fish fan, tilapia and salmon are great. I fried mine in a pan with olive oil, lemon, and a touch of salt and pepper. The oil helps the plumbing out... If you can't tolerate the oil, I'm sure Pam would work fine.

Looks like you have made great progress.

I've been a nurse for ~20 years the last 12 in a level III NICU...in STL, MO. I was sleeved 7/14/14. I'm 5'6", I weighed 360. I'm 38 years old. My BMI was 58. I am currently 214 with a BMI 34.5. While that is still obese I feel great. I had no comorbidities at my highest weight thank God, but I was tired and miserable.

I have lost 146 lbs since the start of my journey (that started 2/6/14 with my first surgeon's appoint) 45.5 of that was prior to surgery and about 22 was my 2 week liquid diet.

Now that I am 8 months out I lose slower, but I still lose I would like to get to 165, but if I don't I'm ok with that. I had this surgery to change my life and more importantly my participation in it and I have. I'm happier and enjoying doing things with my boys(all teenagers)and my husband. I have ice skated, went snow sledding which I hadn't done in years. I went dancing with my husband which I also hadn't done in years.

Good luck to all!!! And especially to those who are just starting and wondering and worrying if it will work for them cause I know that I worried if this would be another thing to fail at. Even at 8 months out it still early in my journey, but I feel it is really the best tool possible to be successful and stay successful.

Edited by vanessak8

Hello! I am RN in Oregon. I am a Nurse Case Manager/Discharge Planner in a hospital. I was sleeved on March 17th. No problem with N/V/D or pain. Some problems with Constipation. I know I need to drink more Water and walk more. My goal is 100 # and I am down 17 since surgery. Best wishes for everyone on their journey to better health!

Hello! I am RN in Oregon. I am a Nurse Case Manager/Discharge Planner in a hospital. I was sleeved on March 17th. No problem with N/V/D or pain. Some problems with constipation. I know I need to drink more water and walk more. My goal is 100 # and I am down 17 since surgery. Best wishes for everyone on their journey to better health!

@@dwhitt19 I was sleeved on March 2, 2015 in Tijuana, Mexico, through A Lighter Me and Dr Ortiz. I felt the care I received was as good, if not better than what I would have gotten here in the States (patient/nurse ratio 4:1)... I felt very safe and had no problems, while there.... I did fly home on a pack Southwest plane, with several screaming kids... 3 days after I came back, I came down with strep throat. Luckily, while in Mexico, I bought several z packs, pain medication and generic prilosec... I am just over 5 weeks post op and am nearly down 50#'s... Good luck and let us know how things go!

Hey everyone! I am getting sleeved in 2 weeks and super nervous. I am a Surgery Trauma RN, but mostly super anxious because I am going to Mexico alone and I haven't received a ton of instructions from my coordinator so I don't really know what to expect. I guess it's a control thing. Anywho, any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!

I live in San Antonio Texas just north of your destination. Many nurses in Texas go to Mexico for their surgery and every one of them has reported a very positive experience. You can do this and you will not regret it. I was sleeved June 2014 and have lost almost 60 lbs. Starting weight 220 ... Now 160. It is life changing!!!

I stayed a total of 2 nights/3 days in the Hospital. The hospital I work for in the DFW area, specifically does not cover bariatric surgery, so paying cash was my only choice and with airfare, spending money in Mexico, my surgery cost 1/3 what it would have cost here in the DFW area. Best of luck!

Hello! I am RN in Oregon. I am a Nurse Case Manager/Discharge Planner in a hospital. I was sleeved on March 17th. No problem with N/V/D or pain. Some problems with Constipation. I know I need to drink more Water and walk more. My goal is 100 # and I am down 17 since surgery. Best wishes for everyone on their journey to better health!

Hello! I am RN in Oregon. I am a Nurse Case Manager/Discharge Planner in a hospital. I was sleeved on March 17th. No problem with N/V/D or pain. Some problems with constipation. I know I need to drink more water and walk more. My goal is 100 # and I am down 17 since surgery. Best wishes for everyone on their journey to better health!

Bonniefreel

I have had the same problem and found that if you get some benefiber and sprinkle some in your morning drunk (I.e. coffee, juice, water) it helps a lot! I am 3 years out and still do it

Hi all, I've been a nurse 9.5 yrs. I work on on a busy comprehensive medicine unit, 12.5 hours/day shift. We care for ID, Med-Surg, Onc, Cards (no drips), and Ortho patients. On a daily basis we usually have 6 patients but can have as many as 8 or 9 with discharges and admissions. I'm getting sleeved on 4/27 and am going to start my 2 wk diet on Sunday. My greatest concern pre-op is being hungry and eating regular food. Post-op, when I return to work, I'm concerned about not eating or drinking enough. Any tips for success?

@@elladvyne OMG!!! I was an ICU nurse for 20 years and would rarely (thank Goodness) get pulled to what we called "intermediate care" which sounds very much like what you described. Worked like a dog every time and never got to go to the bathroom!

Are you going on an all liquid pre-op diet? Or is it a combination of liquid and lean Protein?

My opinion here- I don't think an all liquid diet is safe considering your work. Perhaps 2 liquid meals followed by a lean Protein meal might work. If your plan is for all liquid, please talk to your surgeon/dietitian.

Post-op- How long are you taking off from work? Once you get back, keep a Water bottle handy wherever you go. Also- greek yogurt is your friend and easily portable.

Good Luck!

I'm a phlebotomist and nursing student. Does that qualify? :) :D

I am a RN, getting a gastric sleeve on Thursday 4/16. I also just got a fantastic new job...that starts 10 days after my surgery.

It is in the nicu, so no heavy lifting. But I am so nervous about making such a huge change physically at the same time I am changing my job as well.

I have been a nurse for 20 years, & am also in a MSN program. A lot to do & my body needs to be able to keep up with my brain.

Edited by Jennicarn