Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Hello everyone! I am a RN and have been a nurse for 9 yrs. My nursing career began in Mother/Baby then to L&D. Moved up into management at the hospital and decided to spread my wings to being a manager at a women’s health clinic. Due to a move to Texas I am now a high risk maternity case manager….LOVE IT!!!

My surgery date is August 21st. I started my liquid pre-op diet today and I am going to bed hungry. I hope I can continue to stay positive until my surgery. :unsure:

Hello everyone! I am a RN and have been a nurse for 9 yrs. My nursing career began in Mother/Baby then to L&D. Moved up into management at the hospital and decided to spread my wings to being a manager at a women’s health clinic. Due to a move to Texas I am now a high risk maternity case manager….LOVE IT!!!

My surgery date is August 21st. I started my liquid pre-op diet today and I am going to bed hungry. I hope I can continue to stay positive until my surgery. :unsure:

Hi! Welcome! I will be sleeved 6 days after you! I start my pre op diet on the 17th. I am in nursing school, I graduate in December. I have my Advanced Med/Surg final tomorrow..... I couldn't read one more line! It is so important to me as a nurse to be a healthy role model for my patients. I am hoping to work with kids, or mother/baby. Looking forward to watching your journey!

Hi! Welcome! I will be sleeved 6 days after you! I start my pre op diet on the 17th. I am in nursing school, I graduate in December. I have my Advanced Med/Surg final tomorrow..... I couldn't read one more line! It is so important to me as a nurse to be a healthy role model for my patients. I am hoping to work with kids, or mother/baby. Looking forward to watching your journey!

Good luck with your exam!! I can't imagine going through nursing school and having surgery. How much time will you be able to take off of school for the surgery and recovery?

Well, my school is funny.... I have class one time a week and lab combined so I sit in seat for around 8-10 hours (depending on the class) once a week. I had it all planned out to where I wouldn't miss any class time, and my surgeon decided to take a vacation (It is OK, well rested surgeon = safer surgery) I am actually missing one class/lab, but I went to my direct advisor and explained what I was working towards, and why. I told her I was willing to postpone the surgery (yet reluctantly) until December. She actually gave me her blessing, told me not to worry about it. I have a couple classmates who are taking notes for me the day I do miss and will have 9 days between surgery and in seat class again. I will have five weeks before a clinical rotation, my surgeon has a four week restriction. The professor directly over the class was informed and also gave me her blessing, they both said that they could tell I have done my homework and they agree that for my health it is what is in the best interest of me. I am slightly nervous about being in seat 9 days later, but half the day I will be sitting and the other half is lab, but it is never highly physical. We shall see what my complaints are in a couple weeks!

Hi everyone,

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner in WV, I worked cardiac as a RN for seven years and before that was a LPN. I was sleeved on July 17th, physically everything went fine, especially after the J P drain was removed. For the first week after surgery I was waking up with horrible night sweats and av terrible feeling of panic or anxiety. The sweats seem to be gone, thank God but I am still having some anxiety. Everything seems a little overwhelming, I'm getting my Protein in through shakes, building up my Water intake, struggling a little with food. I think it has helped me to go back to work but I know there will be crazy days there that make trying to eat and drink hard.

I am taking my prereqs and plan on applying to nursing school within 2 years. I was sleeved on 6/10/2013. I've lost a total of 45.5 pounds since my heaviest weight and 32.4 pounds since surgery. I have finally hit onederland!!

Hi, i'v been an RN for 8 years, I worked in ICU, telemetry, and have been doing hospice for almost 2 years. I hope to have my surgery in Jan, in Juarez, mx. my insurance does not cover WLS. I live in a small town in New Mexico a 3 hr drive from El Paso tx, I chose Dr. Jose Rodriguez. A good friend of mine had her surgery with him, she is also a nurse, she said she got better care there than in states, she drove her self to El Paso and drove her self back home. I wish I could have surgery sooner but I am out of vacation time for this year I am afraid 1 week is not enough. I do on call nights and week ends every other week, so if i take a week off i actually have 3 weeks. I am so afraid I will be one the 1% or that the surgery will not work for me, or I will feel sick from not being able to have carbs or sugar. I have had several sugeries in past and never worried. I guess it's because it is permanent. I am really glad I found this forum, I think my friend is tired of my questions. I would like to know if there are others from new mexico or others that have used this DR,, I haven't read much about him and have not found anything bad, he has years of experience and teaches Drs in states how to do procedure. I even had my cousin in Juarez check out hospital and Dr. all good reviews.

Hi I have been an RN for 8 years......the first 4 on. Cardiac stepdown unit and for the past 4 years I'm in the emergency room.....I had a lapband in December of 2008 and had it removed emergently removed due to erosion and almost perforation in July of 2011.....I finally have gained the courage to have the sleeve and I am scheduled on Aug 29th by a wonderful surgeon....I decided that I am going to take 2 months off to recover and to be able to handle my phases properly......good luck to everyone

Hi I have been an RN for 8 years......the first 4 on. Cardiac stepdown unit and for the past 4 years I'm in the emergency room.....I had a lapband in December of 2008 and had it removed emergently removed due to erosion and almost perforation in July of 2011.....I finally have gained the courage to have the sleeve and I am scheduled on Aug 29th by a wonderful surgeon....I decided that I am going to take 2 months off to recover and to be able to handle my phases properly......good luck to everyone

Congrats on your date and recovery wishing you all the best. Taking time off is wise.

Congrats on your date and recovery wishing you all the best. Taking time off is wise.

I agree. Time off is a great idea - especially in our line of work. I think I can work out about 3 weeks off of work at this point. How long are you all allowing yourself for recovery before returning to the floor? I have a few months before my paperwork should be sent through for insurance approval, so if I need to work out more time, I may be able to do so. I'm wondering if I can use short term disability benefits?? I haven't approached human resources with that question yet - I figured I would wait until I get my surgery date first.

I agree. Time off is a great idea - especially in our line of work. I think I can work out about 3 weeks off of work at this point. How long are you all allowing yourself for recovery before returning to the floor? I have a few months before my paperwork should be sent through for insurance approval' date=' so if I need to work out more time, I may be able to do so. I'm wondering if I can use short term disability benefits?? I haven't approached human resources with that question yet - I figured I would wait until I get my surgery date first.[/quote']

I taking 2 months off.....at my job we have to use 40hrs of PTO time then the short term disability kicks in at 60% base salary

Hello, fellow nurses! I am happy to report that I had surgery on the 13th and I'm doing great :) I also totally agree with taking as much time off as possible - I'm not going back until Sept 29th.

Hello there everybody, have been all over this web site and have read it from top to bottom. Glad to find this group. I have been an RN for 28 yrs. Wow, how time flies! I have probably done every kind of nursing out there. Hated the desk jobs, did not care for supervisory or director nursing. My favorite type of nursing has been ER and trauma surgery. Did surgery for years, have been out of it for several yrs now. (It's my love, I still dream about being in the OR. ) I wanted all kinds of experience so I jumped around enough to where now I have to focus on gathering retirement.

So,now I am working for the county, as a correctional nurse. I have always love excitement and I get plenty of it daily! I have always had problems with my weight, have been on every diet more than 4-6 times. WW probably about 10 times. Every time I lost, I swore that I would never go back......heard that before? You guys know. Long story short, getting my sleeve done Sept 10th by Dr Alvarez in Mexico. Super excited but I am only going to be able to take off 2 weeks from work. I will get to do the desk work when I get back, for a while and my co workers will pull my slack if needed. I am going to Mexico by myself,

I am not all about an audience. Even gave my sister the wrong date.

I would like to know energy levels of others at 2 weeks out. Nausea is also a concern. And I need to learn how to sip, sip, sip......Thank you all for the devotion and knowledge you'll share, it's reassuring!

Hi, I'm Amy, I've been a Psych Nurse for 38 years. I too spent several years working in Corrections. That was a fun job, but I hated the 12 hour shifts. I had surgery 15 days ago with Dr. Alvarez. I'm going back to work on Monday. Michelle.... you're gonna be in great hands. Call Susan and find out who your "sleeve sister" is going to be. I hooked up with both my "sisters" on line and on the phone. When I got to San Antonio it was like meeting old friends again. We went through everything together and have become great friends. We spent 2 hours on the phone last night on a 3 way call. I'm in Orlando, Linda is in Kentucky, and Nancy is in California. It was a great experience. Dr. Alvarez and his staff are amazing. You couldn't be in better hands. The three of us traveled alone... but we were together through the whole process. My Boyfriend wanted to come with me, and I'm glad I told him to stay home.

Hi everyone' date=' I am a RN, for 7 years now..... I did ICU, Long Term, Cardio/Pulmonary, Dialysis and for the past 5 years have been in Home Care where I am the clinical supervisor....I also started out as a CNA years ago and I have never worked so hard in my life!!..CNAs are worth GOLD!!!...I am getting sleeved in Tijuana Mexico on August the 21st and I can not begin to describe my excitement!!.....My highest weight ever was 247, I have done every diet in the book. I just lost quite a bit with HCG but gained most back, I weighed this am and I am now at 224...goal is 140....I start preop this Saturday...I am ready to start living again. Everyone says "You arent that big"....They are NOT living in my skin!,,I have not dated in years because I am so uncomfortable in my skin, I run from cameras and everyday is just pure hell to me.....I have not had any second thoughts about this, no jitters, nothing but EXCITEMENT!!!![/quote']

Who is your doc?