Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Glad to see people are still finding their way here. The app for the iPad and iPhone is not working so it does not let you see when someone posts. Will have to check it at home on the laptop tonight!

Hi My name Angela Cannady I am an LPN from Augusta GA I have been a nurse for 7 years. Medsurg with an emphasis on Diabetes and GI health. I just had my gastric sleeve surgery this past Tuesday July 31st. I was released from the hospital yesterday.

I have had a challenging time with my Protein as of yet. But I really focusing on my Fluid intake. I am a type II diabetic prior to surgery I wore a insulin pump. I am currently not taking anything for my diabetes with close monitoring with my endocrinologist. My blood sugars have been from 82-112 without any interventions. I am still taking my Lortab elixar (uggh horribly nasty). I would love to be a part of this group I think thios is great because as nurses we tend to put others needs before our own and with this process we must take care of ourselves. :rolleyes:

Hi My name Angela Cannady I am an LPN from Augusta GA I have been a nurse for 7 years. Medsurg with an emphasis on Diabetes and GI health. I just had my gastric sleeve surgery this past Tuesday July 31st. I was released from the hospital yesterday.

I have had a challenging time with my Protein as of yet. But I really focusing on my Fluid intake. I am a type II diabetic prior to surgery I wore a insulin pump. I am currently not taking anything for my diabetes with close monitoring with my endocrinologist. My blood sugars have been from 82-112 without any interventions. I am still taking my Lortab elixar (uggh horribly nasty). I would love to be a part of this group I think thios is great because as nurses we tend to put others needs before our own and with this process we must take care of ourselves. :rolleyes:

Hi Angela! Sounds like you are on your way! How long are you planning on being off? Jana

Are you a nurse? I am starting a support group for nurses that are contemplating' date=' undergoing or are now 'old pro's' with their sleeves!

By way of introduction, my name is Jana & I live in the DFW area and am currently undergoing the approval process. I have been a RN for 38 years--18 years in Surgery & 18 years in Case Management & as a Manager for a major health plan carrier.

So feel free to jump on board![/quote']

Hi I'm Kym Rn for 26 years now in Cath lab surgery is the20 th prepped starts Monday I'm taking 8 weeks off only because I can this site will help you south good luck on your journey

Today I told my boss that I am going in for a gastric sleeve. She actually seemed relieved because I had a flurry of doctor appointments in the last 3 months that she thought might be more like cancer! LOL I told her that was what tipped my decision to do the surgery, with the acceleration of decline in health & mobility, it is time to get serious.

She was also relieved that I don't plan on taking off but 2 weeks. I think I am being realistic because it took me that long to be mobile & good with a laparoscopic hysterectomy 4 years ago. Plus I have a total desk job & can work from home the 3rd week if I must.

How long are we supposed to not drive?

I'm a RN for 20 yrs and NP the last 10. This is such is a big decision facing the unknown. I'm hoping for a surgery date end of August and really worry about the first month. I'm planning on taking 3 weeks off which is at my bosses suggestion. This forum has given me the confidence that I will get thru this. Nice to hear from nurses too. How have any of u handled having surgery at the hospital where you work. I know people who work in the preop/OR and I dread my loss of privacy.

So nice to hear all the nurses do like us CNA's lol. I can tell you I was sleeved on March 26th and I can tell you it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I feel 100% better I can tell it has made my job so much easier. I started at 327 and today was 268. I can tell you it is still pound for pound and as time goes no you still want those bad foods we all find comfort in. This has been my challenge the past few months. If any help to you all I had a hard time at first fearing this would not work because so many thing have not worked in the past. I did not want to go for my 2 week check up in fear it did not work. I lost 17lb the first week. Then it was the 6 week check up when the MA told me I was not doing well I was in the 10% for weight loss. I was dying to see the doc just knowing I was not doing well. He was upset she said that to me because at that stage it is to early to put a % on any weight loss. Most people are still holding Fluid from the surgery.

I love being back at work and if feels good to hear everyone say how good I look but said to say there are some haters who question if I really lost that much weight lol. I just keep in mind I have lost that much and I never had a goal weight in mind to reach. I went into this wanting to be a healther me and I am doing just that so I dont care where the scale ends as long as I feel better. Good luck to you all feel free to ask me any question along your way.

Hi all...I'm a nurse too LPN finishing my BSN (2nd degree). I currently work as a part time school nurse.

I was just sleeved on 7/17 and doing great!!!

For those with upcoming surgeries ask about getting a scopolamine patch to put on the night before surgery. It was a god send and I feel this kept me free of nausea post op.

I am excited about what my future will be and feel so much lighter already!! Looking forward to hearing about everyone's successes!!

Hey! It's me! RN 33 years! I think I worked in every field imaginable. Icu, or, er for 10 years, school nurse, outpatient clinic, director of nursing, VP of staffing agency, and home care. i hope to be sleeved in Oct. I have federal BCBS (I work for the VA) and am going through the Reqs. Won't know about approval until my last NUT visit in early sept. glad to see fellow RNs LPNs and APRNs out there getting healthy. lets do this nurses!!

Ohh so glad to have found you all:) I am a L&D RN for 11 years now, I was also a CNA for 2 years prior:) I was sleeved on July 24th so day 9 post surgery, my surgery was at Madigan Army Hospital in Washington State we are retired military. I was one of the lucky ones to have horible nausea for about 24 hours finally I refused all narcotics and felt much better about 24 hours later. My doc would only give me one dose of Toradol though preop he had said different. He said he had concerns about my bleeding though he was giving me lovenox. Hmmm..... Well it took me til day 6 to be able to drink enough to get in all my Protein and Water. I still am taking zofran occasionally. I would say the pain was minimal sore but tolerable, actually the removal of the JP was the worst pain I had, but that was because it was stripped right before it was pulled the resident was not willing to wait for it to release. Ughhh..... Ohh well. I am actually very worried about going back to work. I am actually research menus and going to right out a plan to eat. Where I work getting a 30 min lunch is rare let alone a 15 min break. My plan is to eat at 5pm then goto work at 7pm have a snack during report 10pm another snack 1 am lunch and 5am dinner and a snack on ride home. Snacks will be protein of course. I am actually considering having a cooking day and freezing my meals for the week for me and my family. Right now I am having to let my kids know the ways they have ate the most of there lives is wrong. I do not want them being overweight and it is starting to happen to them. LOL Here I am on medical leave and awake at 0200. I am off to take an ambien and get some sleep. I need to try to convince myself you can sleep at ***ht for awhile.

Hi fellow L&D nurse! I am still pre-op so do you mind if I ask some questions? How long are you taking leave for? I'm torn between 4-6 weeks. I have the PTO time saved, but our small unit will really suffer if I'm gone too long. I agree with you about the need to plan what you'll eat-we don't get regular breaks either, I plan on Protein Shakes during work as I certainly won't have time to chew as long as I should! I'm afraid it will be the hardest part of this-learning to slow down! Have you told any co-workers? Do you have any fatigue issues?

Thanks for your patience-I hope your recovery continues to go well! And congratulations on your surgery!

Best wishes,

Brigitte

I was so happy to see this group! I am an RN, working as an oncology nurse for the past 10 years. I am scheduled for surgery on 9/5 and am planning on taking 4 weeks off. The only real fear that I have is how I am going to manage eating correctly once I return to work. I do not have a desk job so I will be up walking around most of the day. And we only have 30 min. for lunch (which is not guaranteed). I have several coworkers who have had bariatric surgery, but they all have desk jobs. They can have drinks and Snacks at their desk. I am hoping everyone at work will be supportive of my new lifestyle. I will have to take a few minutes out more often to take a drink of Water or eat a small snack. I will be needing to do major planning for my meals from now on. I am trying to do a lot of research on this pre-surgery. I am searching for any ideas/suggestions/tips.

I'm a RN for 20 yrs and NP the last 10. This is such is a big decision facing the unknown. I'm hoping for a surgery date end of August and really worry about the first month. I'm planning on taking 3 weeks off which is at my bosses suggestion. This forum has given me the confidence that I will get thru this. Nice to hear from nurses too. How have any of u handled having surgery at the hospital where you work. I know people who work in the preop/OR and I dread my loss of privacy.

I know what you mean, I work in the health insurance company that reviews & pays for my procedure. The advantage I have is they are DEADLY serious about patient / employee privacy. The only way it will get out is if I lose so much weight it becomes obvious.

I feel for you because I don't think they are that stict in hospitals but don't let it hamper you. You are being proactive & demonstrating you will do anything to get healthy--so to heck with what they say!

So nice to hear all the nurses do like us CNA's lol. I can tell you I was sleeved on March 26th and I can tell you it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I feel 100% better I can tell it has made my job so much easier. I started at 327 and today was 268. I can tell you it is still pound for pound and as time goes no you still want those bad foods we all find comfort in. This has been my challenge the past few months. If any help to you all I had a hard time at first fearing this would not work because so many thing have not worked in the past. I did not want to go for my 2 week check up in fear it did not work. I lost 17lb the first week. Then it was the 6 week check up when the MA told me I was not doing well I was in the 10% for weight loss. I was dying to see the doc just knowing I was not doing well. He was upset she said that to me because at that stage it is to early to put a % on any weight loss. Most people are still holding Fluid from the surgery.

I love being back at work and if feels good to hear everyone say how good I look but said to say there are some haters who question if I really lost that much weight lol. I just keep in mind I have lost that much and I never had a goal weight in mind to reach. I went into this wanting to be a healther me and I am doing just that so I dont care where the scale ends as long as I feel better. Good luck to you all feel free to ask me any question along your way.

Wonderful news Deanna! There will always be haters wherever we work which is why we can go to each other & lift each other up.

Glad to hear you say that about your doctor & not wanting to hold you to a number. Just keep getting healthier!

I was so happy to see this group! I am an RN' date=' working as an oncology nurse for the past 10 years. I am scheduled for surgery on 9/5 and am planning on taking 4 weeks off. The only real fear that I have is how I am going to manage eating correctly once I return to work. I do not have a desk job so I will be up walking around most of the day. And we only have 30 min. for lunch (which is not guaranteed). I have several coworkers who have had bariatric surgery, but they all have desk jobs. They can have drinks and Snacks at their desk. I am hoping everyone at work will be supportive of my new lifestyle. I will have to take a few minutes out more often to take a drink of Water or eat a small snack. I will be needing to do major planning for my meals from now on. I am trying to do a lot of research on this pre-surgery. I am searching for any ideas/suggestions/tips.[/quote']

You have already made a great start by getting on VST. I worked in surgery for ~18 years & thought I knew everything about this surgery. After reading the posts for a few weeks, I have learned so much more about living after the surgery. (I have yet to get a date).

Do your coworkers know about your surgery? If so, perhaps they will be more supportive of you taking frequent mini-breaks to get your intake? Plus you have a major advantage over the desk jockey types (like me)--you will be burning more calories! Win-Win!

Hello all! 33 year old Psychiatric/Mental Health RN. I was sleeved on 7/19 with a major hiatal hernia repair. Overall doing well.

Today and last night have been a little rough. I have been getting dizzy/blacking out from basic chores. Luckily Nurse Mommy is only a phone call away. Definitely some orthostatic hypotension going on. Have to work on getting my Protein in (I've been slacking... Yeah... I know...). I may need to add a little salt. I am doing well with getting lots of fluids every day. I'm averaging 60-80 ounces.

That's all I have. I'm so happy to find my nurse sleever brethren. :)