Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Best Advice: Try To Id Where The Fear Is Coming From

HI all. I just had my sleeve done at Brigham & Women's in Boston on Friday. I came home yesterday. I have had very, very little discomfort. I actually had a blast at the hospital...a lovely roommate, funny & supportive staff, smiles and encouragement all the way through. I am constantly sipping either G2 or Protein Shakes and it seems like I will be able to get in all my fluid/protein requirements today.

I have a couple of bits of advice for folks out there. Before surgery, I was trying to mentally prepare for everything. Then I started realizing I was borrowing trouble. Why obsess about what could go wrong, instead of what could go right? I finally realized all of these fears were control issues. I couldn't project myself into how it would feel after surgery, so I began to think about stuff that could go wrong...what if I vomited? What if I got dehydrated? What if I got a stricture? What exhausting and counterproductive thinking!!

Here's what you do to insure all will be well. Do EVERYTHING your doctor tells you. This is not the time to cheat, negotiate, or do all those other mental gymnastics we used to do to rationalize going off the diet. This is NOT a diet. The preop diet is designed to shrink your liver, but also to get your body as strong as it can be for such a shock to its system. Do you want the surgery to work and your recovery to be easier? Follow the plan. After surgery, FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S ORDERS. Don't force yourself to another level before it's time. You have had 80% of your stomach removed. There is a significant amount of healing that needs to take place. Putting something in there that is not sanctioned by your doctor is just silly. You've gone through all this and you want to sabotage it. Time to get anew way of thinking, folks.

I hope this doesn't come off as too preachy, but I have been astouded by someofthethings I've read on the boards. What a wonderful place they are....such great support and useful information but,in the end, it's up to you. You need to decide to do the right thing for your own well being!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Continued best wishes for your healing!

Good advice! I'm glad to hear you're doing well =)

I could not agree more. Trust in your doctor, or get a new one. Follow HIS plan, not someone else's here on the forum. If you want to know how soon you can eat this or that, call your doctor or NUT. Maximize the honeymoon phase. Take full advantage of those months where the weight is going to come off the easiest. Say goodbye to your food crutches before surgery. Eat your way into a healthier lifestyle, don't just eat less.