Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sure most of us here are petrified of having a leak. My doctor, at least, never really discussed the possibility of it, and it wasn't until I started reading these boards post-op (doh!) that I realized how real the threat of it is.

In a number of threads (including one in which I was a total poop-stirrer ;) ), people always threaten the idea of a leak due to not following the post-op diet to a T, but then always add in the caveat "that's not what my leak was from."

So I'm wondering, has anyone here who has had a leak, actually gotten one from not following the post-op diet religiously?

Also, why do the doctors wait and see if it will just heal on its own over the course of months, rather than go in and fix the leak? I'm sure there must be a medical reason for that, I'm just not sure what it is. Anyone know?

Thanks!

I must confess I have always wondered about the not fixing the leak thing?

Does anyone know why they leave it to heal by itself?

I didn't realize if you have a leak that they don't fix it. Isn't that dangerous? Can't you turn septic if it isn't treated?

Scared to death of having a leak when I have surgery...

The staplers do, on occasion, misfire. It is a very rare incident, but if it misfired on YOU, then it doesn't seem so rare. From what I've seen on here, more leaks are caused by that, or by a band to sleeve revision where there is scar tissue from band problems, or other things the band has done to the stomach, making the sleeve a little riskier for leaks.

That said-- I heard "a story" about someone who got the sleeve and did not deal with head and heart issues and went home and ate a whole pizza and died. (That could be urban sleeve legend, I don't know!) Point is-- don't screw around with doc's orders. There's a reason for them, and it is the patient's safety.

Also, when there is a small leak, my doc also told me he takes the "wait and see" approach, because more often than not, it will heal on its own. Less surgery is always better. Anethesia and surgery are harder on the body than maybe waiting out a leak.

Sometimes they will go in and place a stent until it heals...I've heard it's painful though.

I don't know if any of this answers any of your concerns, but...there it is....

The pizza thing has to be an urban sleever's legend. Unless they swallowed it whole, I don't know how they would manage to eat more than a few bites before their stomach started to protest in a major way. Lol. But you are right, following the doctor's orders for safe eating and healing is well advised.

No idea on the leak thing, other than I hope I never get one! :)

The urban pizza legend is wacky! It sounds untrue, but people do some crazy things....There are warning labels on all sorts of things that I would never think to do, that someone probably did at some point to warrant putting the strange warning label on.

My doctor told me he's only had 1 leak and that he thought it was because of the person progressing too fast, but he didn't go into details. From here it makes me feel like it's more of a Russian roulette thing, you're unlucky and the stapler misfires or something unlikely like that.

But - It is possible to get a leak months out from surgery, which leads me to believe that it's possible it's from things people eat, but do not realize that that's what it's from. Like eating chips and not chewing them up well or something. Or having something get stuck just the wrong way.

My dr told me about a patient of his whose best friend brought her a double cheeseburger and fries in the hospital. She ate it and ended up being hospitalized for three weeks and still isnt right. I wonder about these stories too but people can be dumb.

I'm sure most of us here are petrified of having a leak. My doctor' date=' at least, never really discussed the possibility of it, and it wasn't until I started reading these boards post-op (doh!) that I realized how real the threat of it is.

In a number of threads (including one in which I was a total poop-stirrer ;) ), people always threaten the idea of a leak due to not following the post-op diet to a T, but then always add in the caveat "that's not what my leak was from."

So I'm wondering, has anyone here who has had a leak, actually gotten one from not following the post-op diet religiously?

Also, why do the doctors wait and see if it will just heal on its own over the course of months, rather than go in and fix the leak? I'm sure there must be a medical reason for that, I'm just not sure what it is. Anyone know?

Thanks!

[/quote']

I know they try not to go back in to fix it because they will have to reopen wounds and major surgery on someone who is already sick from a leak is no bueno :P

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

I didn't realize if you have a leak that they don't fix it. Isn't that dangerous? Can't you turn septic if it isn't treated?

Scared to death of having a leak when I have surgery...

They usually will inert a stint through a scope procedure...you are right if left untreated you will become septic.

The staplers do' date=' on occasion, misfire. It is a very rare incident, but if it misfired on YOU, then it doesn't seem so rare. From what I've seen on here, more leaks are caused by that, or by a band to sleeve revision where there is scar tissue from band problems, or other things the band has done to the stomach, making the sleeve a little riskier for leaks.

That said-- I heard "a story" about someone who got the sleeve and did not deal with head and heart issues and went home and ate a whole pizza and died. (That could be urban sleeve legend, I don't know!) Point is-- don't screw around with doc's orders. There's a reason for them, and it is the patient's safety.

Also, when there is a small leak, my doc also told me he takes the "wait and see" approach, because more often than not, it will heal on its own. Less surgery is always better. Anethesia and surgery are harder on the body than maybe waiting out a leak.

Sometimes they will go in and place a stent until it heals...I've heard it's painful though.

I don't know if any of this answers any of your concerns, but...there it is....[/quote']

The stints are very painful my dad threw up everything and had the worst reflux from it.