Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Having A Single Incision Vsg?

Hi everyone! My surgeon asked if I wanted to have my VSG with a single incision vs. the multiple small incisions. He said there was a slightly higher risk of a hernia with the single incision through my belly button, but that it was up to me. Is anyone else having this? Or, has anyone else had this with success? I'd love to know if you had complications, how you felt, etc.

I did a search and found a few people who had it done, but didn't see a ton of comments about it. Any help would be appreciated!

It is a fairly new procedure and not many Dr's do it yet. I am having it done with 5 small incisions. I do not like anything going through my belly button, it takes a long time for that to heal.

My VSG wa done with three incisions and my belly button incision is the one that healed fastest with the most invisible tiny scar.

My VSG wa done with three incisions and my belly button incision is the one that healed fastest with the most invisible tiny scar.

Thanks for sharing! How was the pain and recovery time?

I was lucky, first day was the worst but they kept on top of my pain with meds. Since then I have recovered in leaps and bounds. I did a lot of walking around the ward and my firm tummy pillow was brilliant to press against me while getting up and walking. I have really had an extremely smooth recovery. I'm swimming 30 minutes of breaststroke every day now ( im a month out today) until I'm cleared for more strenuous exercise . I suppose I was about 10 days out when I stopped feeling like a bit of an invalid.

I was lucky, first day was the worst but they kept on top of my pain with meds. Since then I have recovered in leaps and bounds. I did a lot of walking around the ward and my firm tummy pillow was brilliant to press against me while getting up and walking. I have really had an extremely smooth recovery. I'm swimming 30 minutes of breaststroke every day now ( im a month out today) until I'm cleared for more strenuous exercise . I suppose I was about 10 days out when I stopped feeling like a bit of an invalid.

That's amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope I recover similarly! Also - I've heard a few people mention a firm tummy pillow but I'm not sure I get it. Why do you need this? You just hold it against your stomach? Is it just like a firmer sleeping pillow? Haha, what am I missing!

Hi birdy, I hope you will recover well too! A tummy pillow is just a small (but long enough to fit widthways accross your tummy) but really firm pillow that you can press against the tum when you get up, walk etc. The pressure really helps to support your poor tum and it also helps with the pain. For me it was kinda like a security blanket too! LOL Anyway I don't know what I would have dome without it. I took a small cushion I had at home to a tailor to add more filling so it was much firmer. It was perfect. Good luck!

It's neat that they can do it through 1 incision now. My surgeon didn't offer that to me. I have six incisions (had a hernia repaired at the same time as vsg) and they're all small enough that there is only one (The one they pulled the stomach out through) that I think will be much of a scar. It doesn't bug me at all. I have quite a few stretch marks on my stomach anyway. A couple tiny scars are nothin compared to those =p

Hi birdy, I hope you will recover well too! A tummy pillow is just a small (but long enough to fit widthways accross your tummy) but really firm pillow that you can press against the tum when you get up, walk etc. The pressure really helps to support your poor tum and it also helps with the pain. For me it was kinda like a security blanket too! LOL Anyway I don't know what I would have dome without it. I took a small cushion I had at home to a tailor to add more filling so it was much firmer. It was perfect. Good luck!

Gotcha! Will stalk around for a firm security pillow. :) I went back to my doctor and told him I had changed my mind and would move forward with the single incision since he is experienced at that and is teaching doctors in the Chicago area how to do it. They also said the recovery and pain would be slightly less, so that's a good sign!

Izuri - I know what you mean about stretch marks! I'm in the same boat. But less so for cosmetic reasons, I've heard that recovery and recuperation time with a single incision was slightly less and since I've never had surgery before EVER, I'm going to give it a go!! :)

When is your date birdy?

When is your date birdy?

Aug 20!! I scheduled the surgery and have gone through nearly all tests - but I'm still waiting to hear back from BSBSIL about approval. That's now keeping me up at night. I'm so nervous!

I just got approved!!!!!!!!!! So much relief, and I'm so excited!! Not excited for pre op diet, but very very good news!!! :) yay

I have a single incision on july 16.. I was walking the same day.. No pain at all just discomfort.. I think is a great option , your recovery is more faster.. I totally recomended ... In obe week i was power walking and runnning.. I have lost 10 pounds after my surgery. Before the surgery i lost 43.. I felt great and with a lot of energy..

@Cita - Thanks for sharing! I hope that's what mine will be like. Since it's an option and my surgeon teaches that, I am definitely moving forward with the single incision.

It's also great knowing about your energy level because I'll be starting a new job after my surgery (about 3-4 weeks after) and want to be in good shape for that!

Did you have really bad gas right after? Any other tips or watch outs?

I had the single incision and have no regrets. Small "scar" and little pain. Can barely see it. I am very happy with the results =)