Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know if my anxiety is normal, but to me it seems so extreme and I wonder if I'm doing too many things at once. My surgeon's office called to offer me the first available date, August 15th, I said it was too soon. WHAT??? I couldn't believe those words came out of my mouth. She then offered August 28th, and I told her that I would get back to her. I couldn't help it, it was like I lost control of my body or something and couldn't say yes. I have been waiting and wanting an August date, because I got a new job, and I'm only hanging on to my current job because my deductible and OOP were met. I don't know if I'm panicking because I'm starting too many things at once, or if everyone goes through it. I'm starting a post master's program on August 27, I'll maybe have surgery August 28, and I start my very first job as a NP on September 17th. I've always done many things at one time and have been able to handle it, but this time I'm not so sure. What do you guys think? I feel like ALL of my dreams are coming true, but I just want to bury my head under the covers. Thanks for any advice.

Go for the first date available. The sooner you get through the start of this procedure, the closer you will be to happiness. The pre and immediate post-op diets suck, but as soon as you get back to regular food, you will be soooo happy you did it =) Good luck!

I say go with the first available date. It will give you more time to recover before you start your new position.

It is definitely not just you! I can absolutely relate to your thought process. I was offered an Aug 20 or Aug 28 date, I opted for Aug 20. Things have happened really quickly for me too - from seminar to nutritionist and psychiatric appointments, my pre op diet starts in 6 days. I too am starting a new job in the next month and the decision coupled with fears of energy levels at a new job, insurance concerns, and a big trip in September have my head going a mile a minute.

However, I know I want this. And I know the sooner I do it, the sooner I'll be to recuperating, past the liquid diet stages and working toward a better and healthier me! It helps when I just breathe and take one day at a time - as corny as that sounds. Good luck to you - you can do it!

I would say go with August 15th as well. you will ahve a month before starting new job so you would be in better shape.

But I react as you are when I went to my appointment and Doctor said we can have a surgery in September :) I said it is so soon might be October but he smile and said ok 3rd week on September :)

I agree. Go for the earliest date. I panicked when I got my date, too, but got over it when I concentrated on the health reasons for the surgery. It looks as though the earliest date gives you time to recuperate before starting school and the new job.

I think it's natural to feel some level of panic. You are making a life changing, irreversible decision. You'll have the best chance of being successful if you're very sure that this is the right step for you. It took me about a year to finally make up my mind.

Have you gone through any kind of supervised diet plan mandated by your insurance? I found this period a great time to explore all my options and truly figure out if this was right for me. If you have a counselor or clergy member you can talk to (and trust), maybe that would be a good step.

Take care and I hope you find peace with whatever decision you make.

I would definitely schedule ASAP because you want to have plenty of time to recuperate! I went back to work at almost 3 weeks post-op and I regret it. I was very tired and lethargic that entire week. I had a few co-workers get the surgery and had minor complications but were required to stay out of work for a full 6 weeks. An employer won't allow you back to work without the doctors clearance usually. I think the main thing is to determine just how much you want this. I think we all go through some sort of 'panic' stage where we questions everything. BUT...if you've gone through the entire process, I would assume you really wanted this change. The whole thing is scary but believe me...the longer you prolong it, the worse the anxiety will become. Just go for it and be on your way to the healthier you!!

If I started the process again, I would take the first date offered because when that date went by, all I thought was "Huh, wouldn't it be nice to be getting sleeved today, instead, I'm waiting another month". I'm very inpatient though. I waited because although I was physically and mentally ready, the emotional preparedness to give up my food addiction and giving my family time to adjust to the fact I'm having surgery in Mexico was more important.

It's not just you. I was offered August 4 and couldn't do it. I could have taken Aug 28, but then thought - let's just do this! So, I took Aug 16.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm going to talk to my manager in the morning to make sure I'll have enough time to apply for FMLA and STD if I take the August 15th date. That means I will have to hurry and buy all my pre-op diet stuff to start it on Wed. Here we go....

You are not being crazy, it's a huge deal. You're having a perfectly normal reaction =)

I would have the surgery ASAP though. Having surgery the day after you start a school program and only a little under three weeks before starting a huge new job does not sound ideal to me. You wanna give yourself enough time to rest. The first couple days after surgery, I could barely keep myself awake through the day. I hope that the 15th ends up working out for you. =) Let us know how things play out.