Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay I am getting worried here. Can I actually go bald? I use special Shampoo, Nioxin. I take Biotin each day. I eat 50-60 grams of Protein each day.My hair is falling out at an alarming rate. Any advice? Anyone actually lose all their hair?

I suggest Rogain for Men, be extremely careful, you will grow hair anywhere it drops. A friend of my had the lap band and her hair is coming out also. The dermatologist suggest rogaine for men; get the mouse its less mess; you should see results in 30 days. please let me know if help.

I suggest Rogain for Men, be extremely careful, you will grow hair anywhere it drops. A friend of my had the lap band and her hair is coming out also. The dermatologist suggest rogaine for men; get the mouse its less mess; you should see results in 30 days. please let me know if help.

geez i hope i don't get hair on my ass and not my head:-)

Just curious (and scared)...how far out are you?

Just curious (and scared)...how far out are you?

I had my surgery April 16th. My Hair loss is pretty significant but I would still rather be thin with thin hair:-)

LMBO!!! She said it wasn't messy and haven't had any problems with droppimg it anywhere. She purchased the mouse.

My surgery was April 16th as well and while I see more in the sink I still have a good amount of hair.... I did recently get it chopped off and colored but I am hoping I don't see an increase... I also take a hair supplement that has Biotin and I started taking it and my Vitamins before I had my surgery. I also use Nioxin about once or twice a week. The majority of folks have hair loss... some are just more severe than others...

I hope it stops soon.... :)

My surgery was 2/9/12 and at about 3 months, my hair started falling out even th0 I took an extra Vitamin and Biotin everyday. Alot fell out, I mean alot, even tho I had really thick hair to begin with. Then about two weeks ago, I went and got it cut. She took off much more than I asked for, but what do you know- it basically stopped falling out! It is still a lot thinner than I am used to but, I am hoping it will grow back.

i sure hope it does grow back, thanks everyone

I am really worried! I can see my scalp through my hair and never could before!!!! I have curly hair naturally but my hair is everywhere around the house! Worse than my cats! Do we know for sure if it grows back? I'm taking Biotin to help.

From Bariatric Times... (http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/09/19/the-latest-on-nutrition-and-hair-loss-in-the-bariatric-patient/)

Iron

Iron is the single nutrient most highly correlated with hair loss. The correlation between non-anemic iron deficiency and Hair loss was first described in the early 1960s, although little to no follow-up research was conducted until this decade. While new research is conflicted as to the significance of ferritin as a diagnostic tool in hair loss, it has still been found that a significant number of people with telogen effluvium respond to iron therapy. Optimal iron levels for hair health have not been established, although there is some good evidence that a ferritin level below 40mg/L is highly associated with hair loss in women.1 It is worth noting that this is well above the level that is considered to be anemic, so doctors would not be expected to see this as a deficiency.

Zinc

Zinc deficiency has been tied to hair loss in both animal studies and human cases. There is data linking zinc deficiency in humans to both telogen effluvium and immune-mediated hair loss. Zinc deficiency is a well-recognized problem after biliopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch, and there is some indication that it may occur with other procedures such as gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding. In 1996, a group of researchers chose to study high-dose zinc supplementation as a therapeutic agent for related hair loss2 in patients who had undergone vertical banded gastroplasty. The study administered 200mg of zinc sulfate (45mg elemental zinc) three times daily to postoperative patients with hair loss. This was in addition to the Multivitamin and iron supplements that patients were already taking. No labs for zinc or other nutrients were conducted. Researchers found that in patients taking the zinc, 100 percent had cessation of hair loss after six months. They then stopped the zinc. In five patients, hair loss resumed after zinc was stopped, and was arrested again with renewed supplementation. It is important to note that in telogen effluvium of non-nutritional origin, hair loss would be expected to stop normally within six months. Since the researchers conducted no laboratory studies and there was no control group, the only patients of interest here are those who began to lose hair again after stopping zinc. Thus, we cannot definitively say that zinc would prevent hair loss after weight loss surgery, and further study would definitely be needed to make this connection.

A further note: The tolerable upper intake level (UL) for zinc is set at 40mg in adults. This study utilized a daily dose of more than three times that level. Not only can these levels cause gastrointestinal distress, but chronic toxicity (mostly associated with copper depletion) can start at levels of 60mg/day. Information related to this study has made its way to many a support group and chat room—even to doctor’s offices—with the message that “high-dose zinc will prevent hair loss after weight loss surgery.” Patients should be advised that high-dose zinc therapy is unproven and should only be done under supervision due to the associated risks of toxicity. A lab test to check for zinc deficiency would be best before giving a high dose such as this.

Protein

Low Protein intake is associated with hair loss. Protein malnutrition has been reported with duodenal switch, and in gastric bypass to a much lesser degree. Little is known about incidence, as only around eight percent of surgeons track labs such as total protein, albumen, or prealbumen.3 Limited studies suggest that patients with the most rapid or greatest amounts of weight loss are at greatest risk.4 With surgical reduction of the stomach, hydrochloric acid,5 pepsinogen, and normal churning are all significantly reduced or eliminated. Furthermore, pancreatic enzymes that would also aid in protein digestion are redirected to a lower part of the small intestine. It is thus likely that maldigestion rather than malabsorption is responsible for many cases. Some studies have also implicated low protein intake.6

Research also indicates that low levels of the amino acid l-lysine can contribute to hair loss and that repletion of lysine stores may both improve iron status and hair regrowth. In a study of anemic patients with hair loss who were supplemented with 1.5 to 2g of l-lysine in addition to their iron therapy, ferritin levels increased more substantially over iron therapy alone.1

Biotin

Many individuals believe that supplementing with, or topically applying, the nutrient Biotin will either help to prevent hair loss or will improve hair regrowth. To date, there is no science that would support either of these presumptions. While biotin deficiency can cause dermatitis, hair loss is only known to occur in experimentally induced states in animal models or in extreme cases of prolonged diets composed exclusively of egg whites.7

Other

Other nutrients associated with hair health include Vitamin A, inositol, folate, B6, and essential fatty acids. Hair loss can also be caused by systemic diseases, including thyroid disease and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and is influenced by genetics.

Conclusions

Hair loss can be distressing to bariatric surgery patients, and many will try nutrition themselves to see if they can prevent it. Unfortunately, there is little evidence that early hair loss is preventable because it is most likely caused by surgery and rapid weight loss. Later hair loss, however, can be indicative of a nutritional problem, especially iron deficiency, and may be a clinically useful sign. Educating patients about the potential for hair loss and possible underlying causes can help them to make informed choices and avoid wasting money on gimmicks that may have little real value.

geez i hope i don't get hair on my ass and not my head:-)

No worries, those things just happen naturally as we age! Made me laugh.

Hair loss isn't always due to nutrition.if you research post surgery hair loss you will see it is often 3 months or so after a significant physical trauma. I lost all my hair after my sleeve and all the complications I had. It's grown back thicker and darker now but I wore wigs and hair pieces for about 5 months. But as I say mine has come back and I hope yours does too.

hair loss isn't always due to nutrition.if you research post surgery Hair loss you will see it is often 3 months or so after a significant physical trauma. I lost all my hair after my sleeve and all the complications I had. It's grown back thicker and darker now but I wore wigs and hair pieces for about 5 months. But as I say mine has come back and I hope yours does too.

This gives me hope! My hair was thin before surgery and i'm 5 Weeks out and already see it thinning more and more.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST