Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Drinking And Eating

I am sure this is being discussed elsewhere, but I could not find it easily, so forgive me. My doc says stop drinking 30 min prior to eating, while you are eating and 30 min after. A friend of mine, who went to a different doc, says his said drink up until you start eating, then 30 minutes after. An hour of not drinking anything sounds a lot better than an hour and a half. What have you been told? What do you do?

We were told a half hour after eating. What it does is when you drink Fluid during eating your pouch will release into your intestines before your stomach has a chance to process the nutrients of the meal. Also, you would be training your new pouch to want more food because it would now be emptied quicker than having a meal digest.

Right, I knew the whys, I just wasn't sure about the drinking before the meal, if that was something that was common or not.

First I heard about not drinking before. They actually said to get fluids before so no thirst during meal. I would ask the Doc again to just verify.

15 before and 30 after for me. I do have to stress though, always follow your nut/surg's orders. Every doctor is different and their advice is what works for them and how they perform surgery.

I was told don't drink anything 30 minutes before a meal and 30 minutes after a meal

I was also told no drinking 30 mins before and 30 mins after.

This will probably sound stupid but I found it impossible to keep up with the 30 minutes before and after. I was stressing myself out with it! So I just drink when I feel like it. I stop a few minutes before I know for sure that I'm going to eat. I do try to wait longer after I eat.

I do (mostly) follow everything he says; there are tiny things here and there I step out of line with, but I keep up with my weight every day and know that if something isn't working, I need to back off. I just wondered about that, the drinking, because I know there are different doctors who say different things, and one thing I have learned from reading through this forum, and talking to my friend, is that my doc seems very conservative. Which isn't a bad thing but the food gets old.

Though I guess I can't complain; six and a half weeks out and I've lost 50 lbs (well, 20 the two weeks prior and 30 the six weeks after).

I am sure this is being discussed elsewhere' date=' but I could not find it easily, so forgive me. My doc says stop drinking 30 min prior to eating, while you are eating and 30 min after. A friend of mine, who went to a different doc, says his said drink up until you start eating, then 30 minutes after. An hour of not drinking anything sounds a lot better than an hour and a half. What have you been told? What do you do?[/quote']

I wa to stop 30 mins before and 30 mins after I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't do this and yeah I threw up twice so follow what's ur doc says they know best

me too...30 before and 30 after. I have been told my doc is conservative too.

me too...30 before and 30 after. I have been told my doc is conservative too.

And really, I don't think there's anything wrong with being conservative. And I will still do that, 30 min prior, 30 min after. It would just be nice some days if I didn't have to stop 30 min prior to eating. Sometimes I don't realize time has gotten away from me and it makes my day all wonky.

my doctor says we can drink up until we eat but not during or 30 minutes after. I know some doctors say 30 before... I have done both and it seems if I wait the 30 minutes before I fill more comfortable when eating. honestly I sometimes do wait and sometimes I don't but I never drink with my meal and always wait 30 minutes after.

Wow, mine says 30mins before and 1 hour after!

Mine said 30 before and 30 after:):)