Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At What Weight Limit Did You Say "you Have Had Enough"?

Like others have said...when you cannot wipe your own butt. It's kind of an eye opener. When sex is difficult due to position limitation or your drive being low...that sucks. My final straw came in my body breaking. Arthritis in my joints, degenerative disc disease, skin issues...it all started happening to me at once. I'm 33. That crap is ridonkulous. And I'm over it.

So now I am full steam ahead with this process. 16 week weight management program (required by insurance). Clearances from all the docs: bariatric surgeon, cardiologist, pulmonologist, GI, gyno, psychologist and PCP. It's worth the work and effort to be healthy.

For me it was not a number. It was not being able to lose even when I really was working my butt off and it was the way I felt in my clothes. I refused to go past an 18 and that limited what I could wear. I think the most shocking thing that really made me start down this path was trying on old clothes that realizing that I couldn't even get them all the way up my legs. That was a real eye opener for me. At least for me I don't think I have ever really seen myself clearly, when I was skinny I felt fat and when I was overweight I felt ok... weird huh? No I see exactly where I am and I am jumping in eyes wide open to change it and keep my eyes clearly focused on my progress throughout!

Thanks. Did you get sleeved yet?

No still waiting for my approval

For me it was less about the number and more about how things suddenly started getting really hard to do. I was having trouble tying my shoes, bending down to pick up dropped items, and even..uh..having trouble wiping myself thoroughly. lol. TMI, I know, but that was the big one. That was when I knew I had to make a serious change asap!

EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine wasn't a # it was a picture! I didn't realize it was me!

Like others have said...when you cannot wipe your own butt. It's kind of an eye opener. When sex is difficult due to position limitation or your drive being low...that sucks. My final straw came in my body breaking. Arthritis in my joints, degenerative disc disease, skin issues...it all started happening to me at once. I'm 33. That crap is ridonkulous. And I'm over it.

So now I am full steam ahead with this process. 16 week weight management program (required by insurance). Clearances from all the docs: bariatric surgeon, cardiologist, pulmonologist, GI, gyno, psychologist and PCP. It's worth the work and effort to be healthy.

I can agree with you on that I am 25 and about 3 years ago I started to have killer pain on my left hip. It has been coming and going since than and it sucks butt!!!

Mine wasn't a # it was a picture! I didn't realize it was me!

I don't even let people take pictures of me unless its me doing it. BOOOO I dislike this part of me not being happy with my body. I am ready to do something about it

to gonnebeslim1day

i honestly dont think i realized i was so big! when i post an after photo i will post the before that changed my life!

I can agree with you on that I am 25 and about 3 years ago I started to have killer pain on my left hip. It has been coming and going since than and it sucks butt!!!

I found out that my knee, ankle, heel, hip and back pain didn't have anything to do with my weight really...or even my knee injury. I have degenerative disc disease in my L5 with a tear on the right side. It's inflamed and there's Fluid leaking from the tear onto the nerves that run down my right leg. Explains so much right now. I have to get epidural steroid injections now. And those suck soooooo bad. But I would never have guessed I had such a thing.

I found out that my knee' date=' ankle, heel, hip and back pain didn't have anything to do with my weight really...or even my knee injury. I have degenerative disc disease in my L5 with a tear on the right side. It's inflamed and there's Fluid leaking from the tear onto the nerves that run down my right leg. Explains so much right now. I have to get epidural steroid injections now. And those suck soooooo bad. But I would never have guessed I had such a thing.[/quote']

O wow that is some good intell I would have never though it could be something else.

when I broke the chair in front of family on my 28th birthday this year

when I broke the chair in front of family on my 28th birthday this year

That's been 1 of my worst fears

In May, when I literally sat in my closet and couldn't find one thing to fit me, I sat in the middle of my closet and cried. I cancelled my dinner plans with friends. And I just sat there crying completely alone in my closet. My weight had officially taken over my ability to have a social life. I had already given up dating months if not years ago, but now I was having to give up my friends and social life out of shear embarrassment. I had to invest in a box of rubber bands just so I could wear my pants to work. I never even had to do that when I was pregnant. My maternity clothes don't even fit me now (I know because I tried them too). Enough was enough. I want my life back.

Wow, does this thread strike a chord! I have been battling my weight for many years; yo-yo diets, you name it, there is a good chance I've tried it...My weight has fluctuated up and down and up again...but never this high.

The turning point for me was this past winter. I had gained 20# post-break up, and then was diagnosed with asthma. I decided to try the hcg diet, and then got horribly ill. My asthma went crazy, they put me on steroids, and I gained 25# in a month!! Now I have plantar fascitis, so between that and the asthma, I have become really intolerant of exercise. I have never been this heavy in my life! 255!!! OMG. I was SO depressed and felt like SUCH a failure... I called one of the weight loss surgeons in town, had a discussion with her...and discovered that she didn't take my insurance.

I went thru my ***, and have just finished the 6 month required pre-op class. I have my exit interview tomorrow, and then wait for approval...I am looking at late October for surgery; my surgeon is backed up about 6 weeks from the time all the pre-op stuff is finished. This is a whole new world, and I am so excited about getting started. :D

I have a 3 year old daughter, who is the light of my life. I have always been active- dance, sports, swimming, and can't wait to enjoy all of them again, this time with her. I work 12 hr day shifts in a busy cardiac surgery ICU, and it is exciting to think of having the energy to enjoy it again, and NOT have my feet hurt all the time...

KristiP- I understand wanting to be a mom...the doc told me years ago that I wouldn't be able to have kids...so I went to China and adopted my precious kiddo! :-) (right before my 40th bday!)

I really enjoy this site. So much helpful info and support. Thank you to the BTDTs, for paving the way and sharing their experiences for all of us newbies!

Bonnie

In May' date=' when I literally sat in my closet and couldn't find one thing to fit me, I sat in the middle of my closet and cried. I cancelled my dinner plans with friends. And I just sat there crying completely alone in my closet. My weight had officially taken over my ability to have a social life. I had already given up dating months if not years ago, but now I was having to give up my friends and social life out of shear embarrassment. I had to invest in a box of rubber bands just so I could wear my pants to work. I never even had to do that when I was pregnant. My maternity clothes don't even fit me now (I know because I tried them too). Enough was enough. I want my life back.[/quote']

Aww hugs!!!