Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post op & discouraged!!

I had my surgery on Aug 28th. I lost 15 pounds within the first two weeks but when I started eating solid foods I gained back 10 lbs. Which really discouraged me. Right now I feel nooo restriction and am pretty much just trying my hardest to control myself while waiting to start the fills. Which it sounds like it may take more than one to get it right. Since the gain I have lost back 4 lbs and I really havnt done much of anything different. Someone pointed out to me that when you are on the liquid phase, your colon empties. Then when you start solids, you fill er back up again and that can amount to added weight. But I believe that my body has equalled itself back out again and I am back to losing weight. Just hang in there, and dont beat yourself up like I did. It makes losing weight ALOT harder :)

When I first read your post, I thought at first that I was re-reading the post I wrote. That is exactly what happened to me. The only thing is that I don't know how much I've started to gain back. I'm too afraid to weigh. I have an appt this week and hope the doctor will do the 1st fill even though it's a week early. I'm just so scared that I paid all of this money and it's not going to work. I know the band works but what if I'm not disciplined enough? I just keep thinking that if all of these other people have been successful then hopefully I will be able to as well. I think mostly I'm frustrated with myself for paying this much money, struggling through the Optifast and now I'm not exercising, not being careful with what I'm eating. It's like I'm not even trying to be successful. I feel good with the little bit of weight that I've lost. I really can tell a difference in my energy level, clothes are fitting better, and I feel like I look better. I'm just worried that I won't lose any more or worse that I will gain it back.

:) The whole point of that was to say Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. Good luck to you!

Try to remember this is a journey. You didn't put all your weight on overnight, it's going to take time for you to lose it.

Every band doctor I've heard of, including my own, say that 1 - 2 pounds per week is what you want. More than that and you are starving yourself, which is not healthy and can cause problems. Less than that and you probably need a fill, or to make better food choices.

At three months out, and 30 pounds down, you've lost an average of 2.5 pounds per week. That's fast.

I think you need to sit down with your parents and explain what the perameters of GB weight loss expectations are. If they won't listen to you, make them go with you to your next doctors appointment. What you DON'T need, is added pressure from the people you are looking to for support, and they need to understand this.

Hi Everyone,

I was banded 9/1/06 and have lost 10 pounds post-op. How many calories should I be eating? It sounds like some of you eat a lot. I've been writing down everything I eat and have been averaging about 600-700 calories per day with solids like yogurt and cottage cheese now in my 3rd week.

I have to admit that hearing some of the stories about no restriction and being able to eat whatever I want is scaring me a bit. I want this band to work for me, so I realize it's just a tool, that I have change my lifestyle. Still - a scary thought that it might not work.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Sarai,

I really think that we should try to keep in contact. Because like you, I feel we are going through the EXACT same thing. All the feelings you described, I feel also. I'm so pissed at myself for not following orders exactly and I'm wondering how all of these other people did so well. I'm scared that I will be one of the few that this band does not work for. I'm scared that even when I get a few fills that I will still want to eat everything. AHH, it's like once I get to feeling better, like this is just a phase, something else rushes over me to worry about. And when I ask people on here about it they kinda make me feel like the rebel in school that got in trouble all the time because she didnt do what she was told. I would just like someone to tell me that it gets easier and that they were right where I am post op and now theyve met their goal or SOMETHING, there has to be SOMEBODY, ANYBODY??

Wel, I am probably not one who you will relate to. I never had any interest in following the advice or protocol of the American system of lap banding.

My basic attitude is that if the lap band can't reduce my hunger then I won't lose weight. I refuse to go through hunger; why? Because all diets have pretty close to 100% failure rate long term. That is, hunger is a bad strategy. If you can't get to a reduced state of appetite, some day you will eat again. And, in the meanwhile, you have gone through a near obsession with food. What will I eat? When? How will it taste? How much can I eat? What will I eat the meal after that?

I hate thinking about food. I won't diet if that it makes me care about food all day, all the time.

And I was aided and abetted in my strategy by my surgeon, who said from the day I was released from the hospital, 'eat what you want'. No rules- exactly my thinking!

I already know I can trust myself to eat only healthy foods, but without a dimininishment in hunger levels, I couldn't get myself to eat the right quantity.

Why am I writing this book?

I can't help you with your fear and obsession about losing weight on some arbitrary schedule that has nothing to do with your body.

But I can reassure you that the lap band does indeed diminish hunger, at least for me, and in a surprisingly natural way.

Just had my third fill, and it really the difference is amazing. I am having to add a snack as I am losing too fast (for me).

And I HATE snacking.

Moral: get a fill, get another, maybe get 5 or more, but fill carefully and gradually and you will get there.

Yes, I started this thread, so I know how it feels not restricted when you're supposed to be. But get another fill, it does wonders. I also hear you're supposed to wait 24 hours without eating solid foods, so watch out for that, and that it takes a week for it to settle. I know eat less. I even lost weight. But you throw up more, so watch out.

I understand your frustration and your fears. I lost 26 pounds in the 4 weeks post-op before my first fill and then gained back about 8 before my fill. Lost again and then started to gain before my second fill. I am wondering if this is a pattern for me.

I am a lot tighter after this second fill, though and I am pleased with my progress overall. People can notice the difference and I feel much better. One thing that people consistently say is that I look "healthy". I think slower weight loss is healthier even if it is more frustrating.

Start exercising and look at the big picture. You are doing quite well.

:help: Hi,

I am only 10 days post band. Am I the only one here that is cheating and eating things I am not suposed to have? I know I am only cheating myself and I am ashamed and miserable. I am very uncomfortable,even in pain, right now as I had cheese ravioli and bread for supper as that is what I made for my kids. Last night I had some soft Soup and some baked potato. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to and I usually start my day on the liquids, but just can't stop myself by midday or Supper time. This is why I am overweight to begin with is I have no willpower. Maybe I do have an eating disorder? Am I doing damage, stretching my pouch, hurting my band etc.??? What can I do to stay with the liquids and how did all of you do it. I feel sick to my stomach right now not only because of what I ate, but because of how angry I am at myself and scared too. I have lost weight, 10 pounds since day of surgery. Please help and don't be to hard on me as I am being very hard on myself. Tammy

Wow! I have been feeling exactly like everyone on here to the point where I wished I did have the guts to get the bypass operation. I was banded August 8th, the day of surgery I was 210. now I'm 194. I can eat as much as I want so I think why did I do this? I was walking each day, now I'm getting lazy. I need a fill I think. My appointment is on this Thursday, so I'll see what he says. I know it is a tool and I need to do the rest, but like all diets I've ever tried, if I don't loose 40 lbs. the first week, I'm mad. Let's keep this going. This does take longer, and I'm glad for what I lost, just impatiet. Patti

Thank you very much ;)

It's just that there's this guy, and he had his operation in april, and he recently said that he lost more than 60 kg. He's half his size, and 30 kg in 3 months are what my parents are pressuring me to do... :confused:

Plus, I lost like 10 kg right after the operation because of the liquid diet and lack of eating.

Neither you nor your parents can compare your weight loss to that of another person and especially not a male. Most Males have more muscle mass than females and therefore lose weight more rapidly in a shorter period of time. No matter what your parents want, weight loss is individual to each person.

To make an accurate comparison on how well you're doing in your weight loss efforts, you can only use the medically defined band weight loss expectations. The minimun weight loss expected for the band is 1 (0.4536 kg) to 2 (0.9072 kg) pounds a week, which equates to 4 (1.8144 kg) to 8 (3.6287 kg) pounds a months.

Do you realize you've almost doubled that?! So, I think it's time for you to "school" your parents because it's obvious to me they may be missing some key informaton about the band and how it works. I've found the "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" book to be a very good reference.

So don't be down on yourself or the band because you are doing one hell of a job!