Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal Weight. - How You Get The Number?

I have sleep apnea, and my sleep doctor told me that if I got my weight under 165 I wouldn't need the CPAP machine to sleep. So that's my goal weight. I've been under 165 as an adult before and I know this is true. I'm not sure why this is the magic number, but it might be from a calculation of my height and build.

My sleeve doctor asked me what my goal weight was, and I told him 165. He didn't argue, so I assumed that was a good number.

For some reason, my doctor never gave me a goal weight. His office just asked what MY goal was. At first I said 170 because even though that would still be in the overweight range, I couldn't imagine being any lower. Then after some inner debate, I decided to change it to 150. Hey, if I'm doing this thing, might as well go all the way, right?

I'm struggling with the same issue right now. I was 175 when I met my husband and back then I think I looked just fine. No bikini material but just fine. (Of course I didn't think so then). Anyway- I REALLY struggle with think I can even get to 150 but I, like you, have decided to make that my goal. 150 or 155. Realistic for 5'7''? :)

I am 5'6 and have my goal set at 160lbs. I haven't spoken the doctor about it yet. That is still considered overweight for my height. Since i have been obese since I was 6 YOA, it is hard to see anything less. I know what the charts say, but when you been fat all your life it is hard to see anything else.

I'm struggling with the same issue right now. I was 175 when I met my husband and back then I think I looked just fine. No bikini material but just fine. (Of course I didn't think so then). Anyway- I REALLY struggle with think I can even get to 150 but I, like you, have decided to make that my goal. 150 or 155. Realistic for 5'7''? :)

Most definitely realistic! I'm 5'7" as well. My friend said I would look anorexic at that weight because I'm "so tall." Well, I guess I'm tall compared to her who's 5'3".... I have to remind her that 159 is the highest normal BMI weight for someone my height, so 150 isn't THAT crazy!

I suppose if my body stopped at 170, I would be content. But damn, do I wish to be in the normal range!

Thank you everyone.

I am 277lbs right now ( 5'7"). but I always knew that I have a big ones. so when I check that my normal weight suppose to be 145lbs I just think it is impossible so when I filled out the doctor paper I just decided to go with top range for ideal weight. which is 160.

I still not sure that I am ever would be able to go down so far. even on my wedding I weighted 168 after 6 months diet.

Looking at you girl sometimes i think that might be it is possible to get 145 but..... dream dream dream.....

I'm 5'7" too, and also with a heavier/more solid frame (always "knew" this but the guy doing the DEXA scan confirmed that for me a couple of years ago). My surgeon has set me the, IMO, very unrealistic goal of....drum roll.....59.2kg/130lbs. While that is a lovely number, I am sorry, it's not even remotely realistic for me. Even 150-160 would be pushing it, I think. So I've just nodded in agreement, and made a mental note to myself that MY goal, for now, is 81.5kg/180lbs, and when I get there I will see how I feel and reassess. Even though 180 is still in the overweight range, according to the BMI Charts which take into account absolutely NOTHING but your height and weight. Which makes the BMi scale good for nothing more than a basic guideline, and of no real use in the real world.

I mean, what's he going to do if I don't reach his goal for me? Ground me? Put me in detention? Retrieve the discarded portion of my stomach and the weight I have (at that time) lost and put them all back in? lol. I refuse to set myself up for failure or disappointment based on a fairly arbitrary number.

There would have been a time that I would have grabbed onto that number he gave and then beat the he** out of myself when I didn't get there, but I'm older and wiser now.....thank God!

:-)

My doctor asked me my goal and I told him 155, I'm 5'8 and large framed. He said, he'd feel better if I shoot for 175. He thought 155 would make me look sickly. So, I agreed, and figure when I get there I can assess what I look like and decide if I want to loss 10 more pounds or more.

I am scared to set my goal below the lowest I can specifically recall being: 180lbs. I remember being that wright (summer between 9th and 10th grade, having starved and bulimia'd myself down to that from about 198). I still felt like the most enormous creature in earth at the time, but when I look at the few pictures of me from that summer, I look, IMO, quite normal. Maybe a tiny bit pudgy.

My doctor suggested I would probably get down to around 130lbs........I'm sorry I can't see it. I cannot even recall when I might have weight that.....it must have 5th/6th grade or something! So I'm afraid if I set my sights too low, and don't get there I will feel like a failure. My way of combatting that is too start with a higher goal and adjust as/if necessary when I reach it.

I had the same feeling but my nutritionist set my goal weight at 140. I am happy with that but I would also have been happy with 170 which is how much I weighed when I met my husband. I was in great shape! But, 140 is also where I should be. My body will tell me where to stop and I'm not going to allow myself to get stressed out over the number. I am so happy with my progress already and I will probably start crying once I get under 200 lbs!

I meet with my NUT on Wednesday and I'm sure they will give me a goal weight of 140-150. I haven't weighed 140 since my freshmen year of high school. I would Love to get down to 125-130 but it all depends on what my body wants. I'm 5'3 1/4 and I doubt I would look unhealthy or too skinny at 125.

It's definitely a huge change! I'm scared to be at 140 because it's been over 10 years since I have! If we follow everything then our body will not let us get to an unhealthy weight!

I went to a BMI calculator and kept changing my weight until it said normal. I'm 5'2" and it says 135 is normal. I think I'm about 240 now. Waiting to get a surgery date!

Hello' date=' everyone.

I am new here and still trying to understand a lot of thing.

I would have the surgery in September. and i notice that all of you has Goal weight and some said Person goal weight.

WHO decided what the number should be? Does you doctor said you that?

Mine didn't tell me anything after my first appointment. Might be it would be later on?

Please share.[/quote']

I have to be honest. I was thin once. I could not be lower than 160. Given that I've aged and had a child, I added 20 to that and set it to 180. To look at a bigger number was daunting for me, so I have a personal goal of 209. Starting weight-254, current weight-228. 200 is my first goal:)

It's so difficult to "hear" what the medical professionals say because with my 5'5" height my healthy weight is between 124-152....big range! My Dr. didn't give me a goal weight however I have it in my mind at 135 or 140. But I'm like many of you....if I feel my body has hit the "right weight" I will stop there.

I am 5' 6", I am in the process of scheduling my surgery date. My first appointment with the doctor I weighed in at 279lbs. Now two months after seeing him and the nutritionist I am weighing in at 267lbs. :rolleyes: My doctor used the BMI wheel and said my goal weight was 178lbs to be healthy. I have set my personal goal to a little less. But as long as I am healthy in the end I don't care what my weight is.

This really is a tough one. If I look at the BMI calculators, my minimum weight should be 165. This is my ultimate goal, but I don't know if I'll get to it or not. I have been overweight since I was six. My lowest weight as an adult was around 190 and that is the goal set by my surgeon. I felt really good at that size and honestly wouldn't mind if I stopped there. I am 5' 7-1/2" and have a pretty large frame though, so 190 on me looks like about 165 on others. So my goal is basically somewhere between 165 and 190. It's a big range but I think I'll be happy if I fall anywhere within it.