Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Gotten Ulcers From Drinking Coffee?

I totally understand. I have followed every single rule that they have set for me. Getting sleeved should not mean the end of all the things that made us happy. I can deal without the grease and junk food. I get that it will get me nowhere' date=' but caffeine, COME ON doc!!! I'm not going to OD on it when the only time I consume it is through coffee. Funny story (speaking of condescending)....I asked my NUT when I could start having the occassional glass of wine. She literally looked down her nose at me and said, "We will talk about that at your next appointment, but you must remember that alcohol is nothing but empty calories." I wanted to look at her and say, "well so is Water, but you sure want me guzzling 64 oz of that crap a day!" Besides, I don't think there was ever a time in my life where I drank a beer because of how HEALTHY it was. DUH!! :P [/quote']

Lol! oh man that is just like my nut.

I have never heard about not having caffeine. My doctor must just be super lenient. I got very little instruction past at 4 weeks I could eat normal food. Anyway' date=' all I drink all day is tea. Earl Grey and good ole Lipton iced tea - I'm nit dehydrated Guess I should ask at my next appt! I'm feeling a tiny bit paranoid that I've been doing the wrong thing![/quote']

Or my doc is supper strict!

This really helps! I have one cup of coffee each day maybe 2 on a Long day. Some days none at all. But the idea of no coffee at all is abhorrent. I agree ith Happy Camper everything in moderation.

Oh & my surgeon has never mentioned coffee but has mentioned other no nos & slider foods. It does seem to be different opinions.

I have had 2 cups every morning with my sugar-free french vanilla since my 3rd week with no problems. Life is good. Ten weeks out now.

I asked my NUT when I could start having the occassional glass of wine. She literally looked down her nose at me and said, "We will talk about that at your next appointment, but you must remember that alcohol is nothing but empty calories." I wanted to look at her and say, "well so is Water, but you sure want me guzzling 64 oz of that crap a day!"...

Uh....water is not empty calories. It's no calories at all, and it provides the most important element of life to your body.

Veronica, there are many reasons to give up caffiene....ulcers are just one of them. The risk is not great, but it is there. And since they are doing so much work to completely reshape your stomach, they want you to pamper it. That's why they tell you to cut out the coffee.

Kicking a caffiene addiction is terribly difficult. But it can be done and many people here did it before surgery. Yes you will have no energy for about 2 weeks. It is a tough time. But it gets better once all those chemicals finally leave your body. After that, you will wonder why you ever needed it at all.

Uh....water is not empty calories. It's no calories at all, and it provides the most important element of life to your body.

uh..relax..it was a joke. I drink 64 oz a day.

Prior to surgery I got gastritis from the massive amount of coffee I drank...now Im 4mo post op and i have 1 cup in the morning..I also take 300mg of zantac in the morning(always had acid issues)...coffee isn't a problem just like everything else, don't drink it in excess or with tons of cream and sugar

Did they tell why?

Hey, I just saw this! I am 5 days post op. She said because it stimulates appetite and would probably cause me to fall off the 3 day liquid diet. But, I couldn't stop drinking coffee and my NUT relented after she saw how grouchy I had become. So, my last full cup was Aug 19, the day before surgery. Now, because I'm a risk taker, I had a couple of sips today. Now, I'm feeling like I have more gas than yesterday. My doctor's instructions say that you can have coffee several days after surgery, if tolerated. Quite frankly, although I love coffee, it made the old stomach hurt. I'll pass on it for a while.

i think some of them like to shock you my doc tuts at me for drinking so much tea, its Decaf tea!!

She still says that’s a lot of tea! (I see 2 consultants the head consultant is the not liking tea person lol)

They gave me tea and Water only the 3 days I was in hospital and it wasn’t decaf trust me it was full on caffeinated tea but she always comments on the tea never tells me it will do a b or c just that’s a lot of tea and gives me the look.

I only drink 4 full cups a day just the word tea seems to ruffle the feathers I think it’s the same for coffee they think its not plain water so don’t drink it!

Veronica, there are many reasons to give up caffiene....ulcers are just one of them. The risk is not great, but it is there. And since they are doing so much work to completely reshape your stomach, they want you to pamper it. That's why they tell you to cut out the coffee.

Kicking a caffiene addiction is terribly difficult. But it can be done and many people here did it before surgery. Yes you will have no energy for about 2 weeks. It is a tough time. But it gets better once all those chemicals finally leave your body. After that, you will wonder why you ever needed it at all.

Boy you ain't kidding it's DIFFICULT! I am currently drinking 1 mug (1.5 cups) of coffee every morning with splenda and sf Creamer. I was hoping that with the weight loss I would gain energy, however, my energy level has suffered greatly after surgery. I have ZERO motivation to work out. I truly believe that if I start to workout I can gain energy and kick the coffee habit... I just need the motivation :(

Prior to surgery I got gastritis from the massive amount of coffee I drank...now Im 4mo post op and i have 1 cup in the morning..I also take 300mg of zantac in the morning(always had acid issues)...coffee isn't a problem just like everything else, don't drink it in excess or with tons of cream and sugar

Thanks for the advice. I have been blessed with no issues with stomach acid. Prior to surgery I only got indigestion when I ate greasy food. Thankfully, I am not a fan of the grease!

Hey, I just saw this! I am 5 days post op. She said because it stimulates appetite and would probably cause me to fall off the 3 day liquid diet. But, I couldn't stop drinking coffee and my NUT relented after she saw how grouchy I had become. So, my last full cup was Aug 19, the day before surgery. Now, because I'm a risk taker, I had a couple of sips today. Now, I'm feeling like I have more gas than yesterday. My doctor's instructions say that you can have coffee several days after surgery, if tolerated. Quite frankly, although I love coffee, it made the old stomach hurt. I'll pass on it for a while.

Thanks! I just got back from going on a cruise and just realized that this thread was revived.

i think some of them like to shock you my doc tuts at me for drinking so much tea, its Decaf tea!!

She still says that’s a lot of tea! (I see 2 consultants the head consultant is the not liking tea person lol)

They gave me tea and Water only the 3 days I was in hospital and it wasn’t decaf trust me it was full on caffeinated tea but she always comments on the tea never tells me it will do a b or c just that’s a lot of tea and gives me the look.

I only drink 4 full cups a day just the word tea seems to ruffle the feathers I think it’s the same for coffee they think its not plain Water so don’t drink it!

I agree, I think they try to shock you. My sleeve is not temperamental at all and at the beginning I was afraid to do anything because what my surgeon, nut and case manager told me. I generally like to follow doctors order but sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do... in this case, it's my coffee!