Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How dare she!!!

I agree with you. I do not want pity either. I hope that you understand that the expression "Have no Pity on us" is not a request or a desire for pity, but a request and desire for equal treatment. It is just an expression.

No, I knew what you were saying, but I mean that I think too many people still think that respect for some people to others that are different imply that they must feel pity towards the people different from them.

My wife likes dogs, as long as they don't touch her or lick her. :faint:

Why not just get a picture of a dog and leave it at that? Then you wouldn't have to feed or pick up after it. LOL

I would actually PREFER to have my change put on the counter. I hate it when a cashier puts your money in your hand, with the receipt on the bills and the change on top. Then you have to juggle everything while you arrange it into your wallet. Put it on the counter, or put the change in my palm with the bills on top. Ask me if I want my receipt in my hand or in the bag.

These things, as in almost every aspect of life, depend entirely on custom and personal preference. No one is going to get it right for every individual out there, but some common sense really makes a difference in how a transaction is perceived.

I guess people that have never been challenged with a weight problem, just do not understand. I wish every time someone decided to interfer with your business, and tell you that they do not carry your size, they would be forced to feel the way they just made you feel. Boy, this would change the way people jumped to conclusions!!

I once went in to buy boots and they were too tight around my calf. I said something about that and the sales woman said it wasn't her fault that my leg was too big. I never bought boots from them again. At that time I wore about a 16. I bought some boots last year and I can't zip them all the way up, but I just wear them half unzipped under my pants. But TOG is right. Young people are ignorant. I like to freak out my classes by pointing out that I wore a size 5 when I was a freshman in college. I suppose that would be a size 4 not. I'll guarantee that few of them wear a size 4. Then I tell them that on average people gain 10 pounds each decade of their lives. That really disturbs them. I'm really such a nasty person.

By the way, the current media frenzy about fat is based in a flawed CDC study in 1998. Our textbook had a section on fat people with that study cited so I checked it out. I found out that the statistics were faulty. The listed the deviation from the mean on several of the sections and so I called the business dept. to find out what that was in the standard deviation. It turned out that on at least one group (the one I worked on) the standard deviation was plus/minus 70 pounds. That meant that some adult women weighed 40 pounds. I took statistics a long time ago, but at that time a standard deviation of over about 5 meant the study was iffy. Then the CDC admitted that the study was flawed, but this didn't make the big news. I know that Coke machines are being removed from schools in favor of juice. I happened to be drinking apple juice at the time, and it has 1 more gram of carbs than a Dr. Pepper and the bottle I was drinking had about 210 calories. So they are replacing soft drinks with fruit juice that is just as fattening, if not more so. Why are people so stupid?

I, too, had read that fruit juice is not what it is cracked up to be. Mothers are fond of shoving bottles of the stuff in their toddlers' gobs; they feel virtuous because it ain't soda, but it is high in calories and sugar and will rot their teeth. It seems that the under-fives don't get milk anymore. And what about Water?

As for boots, I have huge feet, size drag queen in fact, but I have the calves of a gazelle even though I take size fat when it comes to clothes. It would be a good thing if clothing manufacturers got over their own bad selves and produced an array of clothing to fit who we are. I have been sour about this for years now.

About the only step in the right direction has been the invention of (ex)Spandex. Whoever discovered that deserves a bottle of champagne (or whatever).

I, too, had read that fruit juice is not what it is cracked up to be. Mothers are fond of shoving bottles of the stuff in their toddlers' gobs; they feel virtuous because it ain't soda, but it is high in calories and sugar and will rot their teeth. It seems that the under-fives don't get milk anymore. And what about Water?

As for boots, I have huge feet, size drag queen in fact, but I have the calves of a gazelle even though I take size fat when it comes to clothes. It would be a good thing if clothing manufacturers got over their own bad selves and produced an array of clothing to fit who we are. I have been sour about this for years now.

About the only step in the right direction has been the invention of (ex)Spandex. Whoever discovered that deserves a bottle of champagne (or whatever).

The endocrinologist that treated me for diabetes before I considered a Lap-Band gave me a list of banned foods. Fruits and fruit juices were on the list. His famous quote was: "The American Diabetes Association's recommended list of foods for a diabetic to eat is poison to a diabetic".

Fo all the insensitive and rude people in this world.......Some people are like slinkies. They really have no purpose in life but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

I just sometimes wish we could!!!

llewis

Ok, here is my complaint. Being overweight is discriminated against more than anything else. I once dated a blind girl. We went out a few times, and I started to like her. Well, she turned me down because I was overweight. She couldn't even see me, and she was afraid of what others would say. She was thin and very pretty. We seemed to be great for each other, and she had very few flaws until that.

Most every girl I have met, won't even consider a relatioinship with me because I'm fat. It's like if you fall into a certain category, girls won't even think of you as dating material. Let's see what would those categories be: married, gay, priest, and being fat. I'm a perfect gentleman when I'm with a lady. And they feel very comfortable with me, and safe, because they think that I would never make a move on them. It's a good feeling to have, to know that all the girls feel safe with me, but it's the reason they feel safe. Most of them it's because I'm fat and I'm just not the boyfriend type, and they all think that I know that too. It's almost a sin for me to fall for a girl. Anyway, it sucks at times.

Most every girl I have met, won't even consider a relatioinship with me because I'm fat.

Douglas....

You are dating shallow girls. Expand your horizons (no pun intended).

I have noticed that people often have unrealistic expectations when it comes to who they will date. I know a man who weighs over 300 pounds but he won't date fat women. Instead, he prefers to get his chops busted by thin blondes, 10 years younger than himself.

I introduced my overweight girlfriend, who is 60, to a nice gentleman (also overweight) of 62. She turned up her nose. She wants a younger man, "in better health" (translation: not fat). Good luck with that one, dear. They all want the same thing.

The pretty blind girl is holding out for a boyfriend who has no physical imperfections. Few young stud muffins are going to be interested, however. Unless she's an heiress. What a shame.

Ok, here is my complaint. Being overweight is discriminated against more than anything else. I once dated a blind girl. We went out a few times, and I started to like her. Well, she turned me down because I was overweight. She couldn't even see me, and she was afraid of what others would say. She was thin and very pretty. We seemed to be great for each other, and she had very few flaws until that.

Most every girl I have met, won't even consider a relatioinship with me because I'm fat. It's like if you fall into a certain category, girls won't even think of you as dating material. Let's see what would those categories be: married, gay, priest, and being fat. I'm a perfect gentleman when I'm with a lady. And they feel very comfortable with me, and safe, because they think that I would never make a move on them. It's a good feeling to have, to know that all the girls feel safe with me, but it's the reason they feel safe. Most of them it's because I'm fat and I'm just not the boyfriend type, and they all think that I know that too. It's almost a sin for me to fall for a girl. Anyway, it sucks at times.

Douglas: you know what is worse than being a fat man? Being a fat women.

I have always thought heavy men are sexy, if there is one thing I can't stand is a thin man. Of course that's just me. I have been like that in my skinny years as well.

But Douglas make no mistake, being a over-weight women is the absolute worse. Men will hardly talk to you much less take you out. :heh:

Back when Mad TV used to be funny it used to have a reoccurring skit called Lowered Expectations. This addressed the very problem that the chronically dateless have: their expectations are often far too high. I have known many dateless folks who routinely refuse to date anyone who is realistically within their grasp because the person isn't attractive enough. I have a friend who is single, in his 40s, has only ever been laid by one woman, and is only attracted by girls who look like Hilary Duff. When I suggested that he date a sexually frustrated colleague of mine, an over-weight woman who is middle-aged, he gasped in horror and said no! I attempted to match up another man, a guy who was in search of a date after his wife had dumped him, with a plump but very good looking girlfriend of mine. That never panned out either even though this guy came lumbered with a collection of children and was no centrefold himself.

Of course we women are just as bad. My plump blonde girlfriend had been complaining about the lack of men and sex in her life but probably would have rejected this guy had it come to the point where he had actually made a date with her.

Yep, over the years I have known many lonely people who have rejected other lonely people just because they weren't good enough.

I totally agree with everything you all are saying. I don't know what is worse, being a fat man, or fat woman. Case in point, since I'm fat, I have no girlfriend, of course, there are probably other reasons as well. I work with kids, and when I work with teen girls, I get a look like I'm a sexual predator, but when a single fat woman works with young boys, she doesn't get looked at like that. I work with both girls and boys, don't get me wrong, but I have had that look quite a few times. I have been told that if I had a wife or girlfriend, it would be different, or if I were a woman it wouldn't be as bad. Tell me about that!!! Let me do say that the teens parents think I'm the best, so much as a single mother who had 3 children, thought the world of me as a person. I helped her with her family, and the middle child, who was a girl, became close to me. Since I was like an older brother, or uncle-like to her, the mother made me a temporary legal guardian of her daughter for when we were together. Now that says a lot about the family thinking highly of me, but others that don't know me, see what I look like, and think one thing, or lots of them do.

Now, I do want to say that I have dated a wide range of girls. From thin to fatter than me. From pretty to ugly. From rich to poor. From smart to not-so-smart. In all combinations of them realm. I have given everyone a fair chance, and it just hasn't worked. I have met girls from church, the library, the book store, waitresses, other youth ministers, a wide range of places. So I don't look for the 'perfect girl' in fact, I'm attracted to the 'not-so-perfect' girl, at least in the eyes of most men. I'll give anyone a chance.