Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atkins Bar...you Wretched Little Thing!

So I'm 6 weeks post op and experimenting with different options. I'm on a full diet and return to work Aug 6 (teacher) so I said I would try a bar to see if that could be an option if I'm in a jam or working late unplanned. I ate the bar slowly, it went down well and I was very full. About an hour later....my stomach started to send me hate mail lol. It is the first belly ache that I've had post op. Ugh! Soon after you know where I had to spend some quality time (at least I finally finished 50 Shades while in there lol). When I looked at the ingredients I think it was the sugar alcohols which I didn't have much trouble with before. Welp....cross those off my list!

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I am going to have to read that book too. My mother of all people bought it! With all the chatter going on about it I suppose it might help me get my mind off of me and this 6 month diet! Some distraction huh?

Sugar alcohol is nasty. I can handle a tiny bit but I have to really watch the amount if it's in something.

I get the caramel nougat Atkins and those only have 4 I think . I don't know why they put it in there. They had them before without sugar alcohol.

What kind did you try? Had you eaten anything else with sugar alcohol in it today? My stomach has been very sensitive to SF candy but during my 4 month pre-op diet I sometimes had 2-3 Atkins bars a day and never had problems. I'm not sure which varieties have more SA but I would recommend the ones without chocolate. I got sick of the fake chocolate and towards the end I was only buying the oatmeal squares (so good in microwave), apple cinnamon bars and peanut nougat one (not sure of exact name). Unfortunately, I've never seen these ones sold individually but I will tell you Walmart carries Atkins products for MUCH cheaper than anywhere else!

50 Shaded is definitely a distraction lol. I started reading it when I first came home from the hospital. I just finished book 2.

I didn't even think to look for sugar alcohols but when I ran to the bathroom I knew they had to be in there. I bought them because there was a Protein bar thread and people seemed to like those. I'll go back and try to find another. I always plan ahead, but looking for things to stash in my drawer that can keep.

I'm a teacher too so I definitely understand! I always had them and some Peanut Butter and almonds in my drawer. This was pre-op doing low carb, I was told not to try nuts yet. I'm lucky to have a fridge very close by that only a few of us share so in there I always kept some string cheese and lunch meat. I don't want to have to think about planning for school just yet! Teachers start back August 17th for us.

Actually, it looks like we have a lot in common, JD7176... very similar stats- BMI, goals, height (I'm 5'9"), surgery dates (6/25 for me). Good luck! Let me know if you find any "best practices" for school days! lol

Hi keldolbeth!!!! I'll let you know what I come up with. I do have the packs of almonds that I use now (I've been cleared for everything) and plan on keeping those around. I was just looking for more options. There is close fridge and I may even get one of those tiny ones that sits desktop. It holds like 4 cans of pop which will be enough for some cheese, turkey, etc. Training starts Aug 6!!!! This is a first for my district and I'm having a hard time coping lol. School still doesnt start until Tuesday after Labor Day. We usually didn't go in until 3 days before.

I had the Peanut Butter Granola one. The only other thing I had today was a Greek yogurt. I think I'm done with Atkins lol.

I'm a teacher too! I've been trying out different bars for Breakfast because I can't seem to get up early enough to get dressed much less make Breakfast. Anyway, I tried one that contained those sugar alcohols...ugh....never again! My insides did not appreciate it at all.

I had a Zone bar this morning-chocolate Peanut Butter. It was really good. No badness for the tummy. It was 200 calories with 14 grams of Protein. It did have 25 carbs which I know a lot of people on here are low carbers. I'm not.

I'm a teacher too so I definitely understand! I always had them and some Peanut Butter and almonds in my drawer. This was pre-op doing low carb, I was told not to try nuts yet. I'm lucky to have a fridge very close by that only a few of us share so in there I always kept some string cheese and lunch meat. I don't want to have to think about planning for school just yet! Teachers start back August 17th for us.

Funny how things happen, I am a teacher as well as a nurse! Took a radicle sabatical from nursing, which was contributing to my food addiction, due to the depression and anxiety involved with the particular position I held. Child's school found out I had stepped down and contacted me in less than a week to fill-in for a teacher leaving mid-year. That was 5 years ago and now I am the science department! Love teaching, but it has its own stress that does not help my addiction either. However, my worst days at school are still better than the stress I endured while nursing. I just wish so bad I could have gotten my surgery this summer so I could enjoy this upcoming school year while getting healthier. I have got to get a better attitude about my situation before August 6th when I go back! This 6 month diet because my BMI was 39.18 instead of the 40 has got me very depressed. If I knew for sure I would be approved in the end it would not be so bad.

Sorry for ranting about my situation! This was a conversation about protien bars which I do need to know more about. Do keep us all posted with suggestions and reviews of different brands. Got a feeling I will need to stash some away in my desk too! Thanks ladies for being here to help me through all this!

I know it's tough on the go, but some Greek yogurt with fruit like Chobani should be easy and fast. I think that I'm doing so much better after swearing off processed foods. These thing are more food science than food. Usually there is a huge ingredients list. Wow, listen to me. I've gone all health food nutty.

I always carry some nuts with me and have some in my desk. I also pack my lunch with everything weighed and measured. I have one of those bento boxes with a place for an ice pack. It works for me. Your mileage will vary ;-)

So I'm 6 weeks post op and experimenting with different options. I'm on a full diet and return to work Aug 6 (teacher) so I said I would try a bar to see if that could be an option if I'm in a jam or working late unplanned. I ate the bar slowly' date=' it went down well and I was very full. About an hour later....my stomach started to send me hate mail lol. It is the first belly ache that I've had post op. Ugh! Soon after you know where I had to spend some quality time (at least I finally finished 50 Shades while in there lol). When I looked at the ingredients I think it was the sugar alcohols which I didn't have much trouble with before. Welp....cross those off my list![/quote']

I just tried the Protein pudding someone suggested in another thread! It's 190 calories and 30 grams of protein! I loved it! I'm travelling next week and will take some with me! You can get it on Amazon!