Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am planning to have my surgery with Dr. Kelly and Omar said that I don't need a passport, just my drivers license and birth certificate..is this true?

I would HATE to get there and can't get in or out.

Has anyone gone into Mexico without a passport?

from the Travel.state.gov website:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: For the latest entry requirements, visit the National Institute of Migration’s website, the Secretary of Tourism’s Manual on tourist entry, or contact the Embassy of Mexico at 1911 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006, telephone (202) 736-1600, or any Mexican consulate in the United States.

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. While documents are not routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from the border with the U.S. will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and will require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM). All U.S. citizens entering by land and traveling farther than 20 kilometers into Mexico should stop at an immigration checkpoint to obtain an FMM, even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. Beyond the 20-30 kilometer border zone, all non-Mexican citizens must have valid immigration documents (FMM, FM2, FM3 or FME) regardless of the original place of entry. Failure to present an FMM when checking in for an international flight departing Mexico can result in delays or missed flights as airlines may insist that a valid FMM be obtained from Mexican immigration authorities (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) before issuing a boarding pass.

All U.S. citizens entering Mexico by sea, including U.S. citizens engaged in recreational or commercial fishing in Mexican territorial waters, are required to have an FMM. Additionally, boats engaged in commercial activities in Mexican waters, including sports fishing vessels, must be inspected and permitted by the Secretariat of Communications and Transportations (SCT), which publishes Spanish-language information on Mexican boating permit requirements. All U.S. citizens aged 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport book to return to the United States via an international flight. All U.S. citizens aged 16 or older traveling outside of the United States by air, land or sea (except closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport book or a passport card to return to the United States. Travelers with passports that are found to be washed, mutilated or damaged may be refused entry to Mexico and returned to the United States. We strongly encourage all U.S. citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. U.S. citizens can visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.

While WHTI compliant documents other than passport books are sufficient for re-entry into the United States by land or sea, they may not be accepted as entry documents by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

I would get one. I've only flown into Mexico, but every time you need the passport, more for getting back into the country that the other way around.

Agreed, I am going to get one even if they don't ask for it, I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks

it's taking about 6 weeks to get passports completed - but if you want you can pay extra $100 I think to have it expedited. my vacation is not till next March - so I am good to go, just called passport office and they finally received everything - should be 6 weeks they said.

Mexico could care less if you go there at all. To be honest they welcome us citizens with open arms and when they see you coming in the van or shuttle or whatever they couldn't care less. They thrive on Medical Tourism.

The USA is where you will need documented proof that you are from the US, but again they won't deny entry to a fully documented (passport OR birth certificate and drivers license) plus if you ate going back to the US your driver SHOULD have a medical pass which allos him to bypass the regular line into a much shorter and faster line. Ive heard of MANY people only going thru with a certified birth cert. and their drivers license!

My cousin didnt have a passport, just her license & birth cert and had no trouble getting back across with the rest of us that had passports. Unless you plan to do some international traveling in the next decade, I'd say save the 100+ bucks!

I was told that I did not need one, but being the extra prepared person i am decided to go apply for one. I asked the clerk if i expedited it, would it be back within 3 weeks? She said yes. Well i was just looking at my reciept and noticed that she didnt charge me for expedited! Not only that, but with my application is my only birth certificate!!! I am in bummer town right now since it is 11 pm and not a darn thing i can do about it until tomorrow :*(

Going into Mexico you will not need to show anything. With that being said anyone driving back from Mexico to the USA must have a passport or enhanced drivers license . The people that live in border states with Mexico and Canada can apply for those. This is the law by our Government (TSA). I went last week and on the return the Border Agent checked our passports. I am a travel agent and deal with this all the time. Passports take between 4-6 weeks depending on the season. To expedite the cost is an additional 60 dollars. If you live in a city that has a passport office you can walk it through.

I have my passport but my husband does not. He's military...so I'm pretty sure they'll let him back in the country with his military ID, birth certificate, and driver's license. Too late to worry about it now! ;-)

I am planning to have my surgery with Dr. Kelly and Omar said that I don't need a passport' date=' just my drivers license and birth certificate..is this true?

Has anyone gone into Mexico without a passport?[/quote']

Please get a passport a passport card is cheaper and you can use that.but yes they will let you back into the USA with your driver license and birth certificate.

I am planning to have my surgery with Dr. Kelly and Omar said that I don't need a passport' date=' just my drivers license and birth certificate..is this true?

Has anyone gone into Mexico without a passport?[/quote']

Oh and it took three Weeks for my passport book to come in and I didn't pay extra money for that another lady said hers only took three Weeks too and that's not expediting