Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is There Anything That You Wish You Knew Pre-Op?

Also she didn't ask for people to be all, nope I did fine... She asked if there were things people wished they'd known prior to surgery. That's what this thread should be about! The rest of the forum is filled with success stories and I don't think the negative side gets truly represented enough on this site. Even people who had major complications and months of suffering are so disillusioned that they are like oh well this is the best thing ever... I'm sorry, but if I'd gone through what some people have I would not be painting such a pretty picture of it. I'm super excited for those that do have great successes, but lets also remember there are those that don't and they should also be able to feel validated here as well.

Well most answers are responses to what we were told and weren't told by the Drs. and how things were glossed over. Most so far, who are decent people and wish Mews wasn't suffering are just saying they were told what could happen, didn't feel hoodwinked and even with complications are okay. That doesn't mean her pain isn't valid or that she isn't supported.

Yeah, I think people do the greatest service when they are honest. Being thin is not the greatest thing ever. Yes, it can help open doors. But at the end of the day, you are still you, with the same problems, the same insecurities, etc. just in a smaller body. People have to have a realistic view of what goes into it before making the decision.

Well most answers are responses to what we were told and weren't told by the Drs. and how things were glossed over. Most so far' date=' who are decent people and wish Mews wasn't suffering are just saying they were told what could happen, didn't feel hoodwinked and even with complications are okay. That doesn't mean her pain isn't valid or that she isn't supported.[/quote']

I wasn't really referring to those that said their experience and offered condolences... More the ones that were making it sound like she must have not followed dr's orders or that she just wasn't really ready for the commitment it takes.

I don't agree with that at all, dr's should be nothing like sales men, they hold people's lives in their hands and shouldn't be hearding people through like cattle! I do agree that we do have to take responsibility for our health to, but dr's get paid the big bucks and go through all that schooling so we can trust in them. From what the op said, she did check him out and they didn't live up to expectations or what they even said they'd do. Not every surgery will be a happily every after... Thats the only thing that gets on my nerves about this site is that if people come on here, like this lady, it's like people try to make it sound like it must have been something they did... Not the case here I don't think. I'm sorry for your experience, op, and I wish these kinda things didn't happen but they do. You even stated you weren't trying to discourage anyone from it who really needs it or wants it. I think there are people who do really need this surgery to save their life, but I think that for every one of them there are about 5 that see it as an easy way/fast way to achieve weight loss.

Thank you for your perspective.

One thing I didn't make clear is the fact that I spent well over six months doing serious research into the surgery. I hold advance degrees in two different research fields so this was something that came very naturally to me. I even went so far as to read medical journals on the subject to get a full perspective of what I was getting myself into. I knew most of the risks that I was taking, including even death, when I chose this surgery. However, there is a lot that isn't told or glossed over. For example, at one of the seminars I went to when I asked about complications I was told that there is a chance of a leak but that was such a tiny percentage that it's nothing to worry about. What happens when you're the person with the leak in that small percentage? I knew my surgeon had an impeccable background and all of the information I could find on the group was positive in terms of their skills. And I'm not saying that my surgeon did a bad job with the surgery itself. I think my problem was that I trusted him a little too much.

Unless you're a doctor, we all put faith in our surgeons to know what they are doing and that they are doing what is best for you. Therefore, when I asked him what sort of issues I would have after surgery I listened to him, took notes, etc. None of the above things were ever mentioned in my conversations with him. I am bothered when doctors ignore issues or don't feel the need to bring up things that may put the surgery in a bad light. For example, when I had a knee replacement done a few years back my surgeon sat me down and said this is what could happen and why. He knows better than I do. He is the one with the appropriate education and the experience to tell me what i may not find in an article or on the internet. I told my VSG surgeon I wanted to know everything that could go wrong. He told me that very little could go wrong and did a standard list of a few things. He also knew my health issues, including my depression as I'm never one to hide that fact from my doctors. Nothing about how this would affect my depression even came up. Yes, I would have some tummy troubles but those would settle down in a few months.

I am still very proactive in my health. When my doctor ignored my pleas that something was wrong I took it in my own hands to once again do research and find a good gastroenterologist who deals with bariatric patients. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to see what is going on. I have a strong idea of what I think it could be (combination of bad reflux and gastritis) and it has nothing to do with the skills of the surgeon. Rather, yet another unspoken side effect of the surgery itself. The thing is that I want to be treated for it and get on with my life. My surgeon was not nearly proactive enough. I was very condescendingly told to make sure I "eat slowly, chew well, and space out [my] bites." This is something I had been doing since day one, including following all of their rules, and I told him but the way he was acting was that it was my fault for not following directions. I find it rather ironic that he only took interest in my issues once I mentioned I was seeing another doctor about it.

As for the post-op care, once again, I knew exactly what my diet was supposed to be like. I stuck by the low-carb diet for as long as I could until I could barely think straight and almost passed out behind the wheel while driving. Once again, the doctor said this was no big deal, just take some time off of work. However, I found out from another doctor that not everybody reacts to a low-carb diet the same way and some have serious difficulties with it. My body was basically going into a form of shock without carbs (it's not carb withdrawal. This was something completely different). I was told me to start taking in sugars to help me through it. I also developed reactive hypoglycemia, which is something that once again is very common place yet no one told me about it (and no I'm not diabetic). I literally have to keep candies in my purse to keep myself from passing out at times. Once again, I did the research but the doctors are supposed to know more and help me through this. That wasn't the case.

As for the psych clearance, my own psychiatrist did it. He's known me for over ten years and knew that I was mentally able to handle such a drastic change in lifestyle. As I said, my depression was under control. Also, I didn't have any food addictions or eating disorders which is one of the main reasons for the evals in the first place.

I digress though...the whole purpose of this post was to see if there was something that you wish you knew beforehand that nobody told you. Once again, I'm not trying to discourage anybody. I just wish I had known people who went through this surgery and could tell me what it was really like. As I said, there's only so much you can get from reading.

It was a yes or no question, so my answer was no. I did not read it to say to refrain from answering if you have had a good experience. At least that's how I read it. I do not think my positive response invalidates anyone's bad experiences. At least I did not mean to come across that way.

(my phone went crazy!!)

(BAD phone!!)

First off, I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time. It does seem that only the good stories get told here, doesn't it? I hope with the help of your new doctor, you can get on the road to being mentally, physically, and emotionally healthy.

I am still pre-op, so I don't have anything to add to your post about regrets, but I was just wondering about your reasons for having the surgery. The reason I ask this is because it seems that no one mentioned the risks versus the benefits of the surgery and how it applies to your PERSONAL situation.

Take me for instance, I'm 36 years old and I have diabetes, hypertension, arthritis in both hips, and in my right knee. When I consider sticking myself four times a day for the rest of my life because of the diabetes, I'll risk the surgery. When I consider taking 2 medications twice a day everyday for the rest of my life and insulin to lower my blood sugars versus keeping candy in my purse in case my blood sugar gets too low, I'll risk that too. When I consider losing a foot or a leg from diabetes, it's a real no brainer for me, I'll risk a complication in surgery. When I consider taking 2 b/p meds everyday in an effort to prevent stroke, I'll take the risks of surgery. I am in physical pain from the time that I wake up until I go to bed, and it doesn't help that I have a very physical job (nurse), so just the thought of maybe going an entire day without pain is enough to make me risk a surgery that may cause a leak, a clot, or future surgery. This is why I AM choosing the surgery.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope you start to feel better really soon. I wish someone had real discussions with you about this surgery and how it would affect YOUR life, but it's not too late to discuss this with your psych. I think you can still feel positive about the decision you made, because your reasons for making that decision are still there. I hope once you start to feel better physically and mentally, the reasons for the surgery will outweigh the complications you're having. Good Luck and Feel Better Soon! (hugs)

It was a yes or no question' date=' so my answer was no. I did not read it to say to refrain from answering if you have had a good experience. At least that's how I read it. I do not think my positive response invalidates anyone's bad experiences. At least I did not mean to come across that way.[/quote']

Hey dooter... I thought your answer was straight and to the point... Others made it sound like the op did something wrong or something and that just kinda got under my skin.

Hey dooter... I thought your answer was straight and to the point... Others made it sound like the op did something wrong or something and that just kinda got under my skin.

Ok cool. I didn't want anyone to misunderstand my intentions. ;)

One thing I've noticed four months after surgery is that there are a lot of issues associated with the sleeve that the doctors didn't discuss or were "glossed over" by them in their seminars and "education" classes. From what I've gone through and what I've read post-op I truly wonder if I would've had this surgery if I had known about it before hand. Yes' date=' I've lost a decent amount of weight but there are many times I wonder if it was worth it going through all of this suffering since the surgery. I was a relatively happen person before the surgery but now I'm being described as a "shell" of my "former self" and many people are commenting that I haven't looked well.

Are there any issues that you've experienced post-op that would've changed your mind if you had known about them in advance?

In my case I can think of a few:

[*']Depression - I know this was never mentioned by my doctor and I've seen many people comment about this on the forums. For me personally I was diagnosed many years ago with severe clinical depression. It was under control with medications prior to the surgery. However, afterwards my depression got so severe that even my psychiatrist was concerned. I dropped off a medication I had been on for about six years (as it worked well) to see if something would pull me back out from it. I think this alone would have stopped me from having the surgery because I was always under the mantra of I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable. And just to put this in perspective, this isn't the run of the mill "sads." I'm having a major depressive episode which is never, ever fun.

[*]Gastric Issues - I realize that our stomachs are new and temperamental. However, I was told by the surgeon and the nutritionist that after eight weeks I should be able to eat food without any real issues. Now don't get me wrong. I follow the rules like everybody else. I'm not trying to down a Big Mac. However, I haven't been able to tolerate most solid foods for close to two months now. Even taking small bites, chewing well, etc. doesn't help matters. I'm basically living off of soft/mushy foods and to be honest I'm getting sick of it. While we're trying to figure out what's causing that, I did find out that I'm suffering from very bad reflux, something I didn't have before the surgery.

[*]Blood Clots - There is a reason why you have to take those gods-awful shots. They are a real concern and they DO happen. I know. And don't trust anybody who tells you that your clot is "small" and "nothing to be concerned about" even though it was over 18 inches long, running from your ankle to mid-knee. I guess that person has never had a pulmonary embolism. Oh and clots don't go away over night.

[*]"Cut and Run" Doctors - I guess this should be an old adage to some as many surgeons across all fields just care about the surgery itself and nothing else. However, I learned that just because a doctor or a group claims they will provide good post-op care doesn't mean that they'll actually do it. Heck, the reason I chose my surgeon, besides his credentials, was the fact that they pushed how great their post-op care was. Also, don't ever choose a surgeon who is only in the office one day a week because if something is really wrong, you'll have to wait the week to see him/her. Oh yes, they have colleagues but they "frown upon" seeing another doctor even in their own group.

Is there anything you wish you knew (e.g., gallbladder issues, loose skin/rashes, etc) in advance? Would any of that have changed your mind?

P.S. I know I sound angry as I am. I don't want to discourage people from having this surgery if they really want/need it. However, I'm a big believer that you should really know what you're getting yourself into so you can make a completely informed decision. I know right now that I would not have gone through with this surgery knowing what I know now.

Thank you for posting this!! I am pre op and I feel like its good for me to hear the lwhat others wish they knew pre op. maybe this can help shape my experience.

Thank you kindly!!

Wishing you Wellness!

Sannah :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I did a lot of research before my surgery it was my surgeon who suggested I read up on forms like this one. So no there really isn't anything I wish I had known. As far as your gastric issues it takes 6-7 months before everything is healed and running normally. It also should help now that you have know about the acid reflux. As far as complications go can anyone really know how bad something is going to feel before actually experiencing it? My surgeon warned me that "...the first two weeks are hell..." and I was still surprised by how crappy I felt the first week.

I wish that I really knew how difficult it would be to take in fluids post surgery. I am only a week out and I have faith it will get better, but right now I'm really struggling.