Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Advice To All Newly Post-Op Sleevers...

I just discovered this thread. If you don't mind sharing your expertise, I have a couple of questions.

I've been doing low weights, high reps, combined with 1 workout of 3 heavy weights to exhaustion of the muscle. So, if I do legs Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, then I do LWHR on T and Th, then heavy weights, low reps on Saturday. I'm seeing a lot of muscle tone and some improvement in strength doing it this way. I'm working my way up to pull ups with both arms and legs. I'm still pretty heavy, 241, so I'm not having lots of success with the pull ups. Is there a better way to get to my pull up goals? Should I just continue to try doing them once a week like I'm doing, or do I add them to one or all of my weekly workouts?

Second, I just found out today that I have to lose 70 more pounds for the plastic surgeon to do my Tummy Tuck. Are there specific weight exercises/cardio combinations I should be doing so that I lose the fat in my torso rather than losing muscle mass in my arms?

I'm almost a year out and I do cardio 7 days a week, if that information helps.

I wish there was a short video of sime post op exercises we could do immediately. I would like to minimize the sagging skin myself.

Actually there is! Jimmy posted this link a while ago www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

3 sets of 10 is gd... Don't work upper body again give it a couple days of rest since you're just beginning.

U should be in the mirror focusing on your technic for that particular exercise. Technic is what gets u results bad form gets you injuries.conventrate on that. I'm focusing and concentrating...i'm using the machines to start with to help me get my form developed as you suggested. Toning and building muscle is the SAME EXACT THING. You can lift heavy and do less reps or lift light and do more reps. So should the 3 sets of 10 be heavy or light? They are both effective.

You should focus on 2 body parts a day. When you say body parts, do you mean biceps and triceps? Then the next day back and chest? I don't think my Gold's Gym have that many machines...lol I'm going to have to get creative. lol It should take you about an hr and a half to complete this. 2 days a week will not get u the results you're searching for. It has to be 4-5 times a week. JIMMY!!!!!! you trying to turn me into a gym rat! lol ok so if i'm doing an hour & a half weight training 4-5 times a week, when and how much cardio should i be getting in? You should feel tightness. After u stretch it should feel like ya muscles are loosening up. After two days u will feel slight pain from tearing of muscle fibers in a destroy and rebuilding stage. Make sure u have a Protein shake within 1 hr of your completed workout to help assist the recovery phase.

what are your thoughts about insanity? can i get some weight training with insanity? do you think will also help with my core?

update: my 2nd day i worked on my lower (legs), my shoulder and arms are sore! 3rd day i'm going to rest. :)

also, i will the net and make up a schedule to work 2-3 body parts 4-5 days starting next week.

BIG THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! i don't think i would be weight training if it wasn't for you and this thread!

Jimmy- you are such a great guy. Thanks for helping all of us and wanting success for each of us. Your time and attention to helping others shows what a great spirit you have!

thanks so much :) Its refreshing to see and feel the love!

Anytime, knowledge is only useful when shared

I just discovered this thread. If you don't mind sharing your expertise' date=' I have a couple of questions.

I've been doing low weights, high reps, combined with 1 workout of 3 heavy weights to exhaustion of the muscle. So, if I do legs Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, then I do LWHR on T and Th, then heavy weights, low reps on Saturday. I'm seeing a lot of muscle tone and some improvement in strength doing it this way. I'm working my way up to pull ups with both arms and legs. I'm still pretty heavy, 241, so I'm not having lots of success with the pull ups. Is there a better way to get to my pull up goals? Should I just continue to try doing them once a week like I'm doing, or do I add them to one or all of my weekly workouts?

Second, I just found out today that I have to lose 70 more pounds for the plastic surgeon to do my Tummy Tuck. Are there specific weight exercises/cardio combinations I should be doing so that I lose the fat in my torso rather than losing muscle mass in my arms?

I'm almost a year out and I do cardio 7 days a week, if that information helps.[/quote']

Well u only need to work legs twice a week. Since we use our legs EVERYDAY nonstop to get around we need to give them time to heal also. Jus do t an th and rest them over the weekend. Dont exert the muscle.

The workout routine u are doing is good since it consist of Interval training. What u should do is heavy/low reps Tuesday's and light/high reps Thursday. This way you will actually be stretching and mobilizing the muscle from Tuesday in Thursday. This increases blood flow to the muscles and speeds up recovery time over the weekend.

As far as pulls there is no easy way besides using the machine for assistance. You just gotta pract everyday and you eventually build up the strength to do it. Trust me.

Interval Cardio is the best way to Lose body fat. That means you gotta run, jog, walk on the treadmill. Mix it up in you hr of cardio.

what are your thoughts about insanity? can i get some weight training with insanity? do you think will also help with my core?

update: my 2nd day i worked on my lower (legs)' date=' my shoulder and arms are sore! 3rd day i'm going to rest. :)

also, i will the net and make up a schedule to work 2-3 body parts 4-5 days starting next week.

BIG THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! i don't think i would be weight training if it wasn't for you and this thread! [/quote']

No insanity is too intense and half the people who "claim" to use it never really finish it cause of the difficulty. Your best bet is to start with p90 then work ya way up to p90x and actually insanity.

Make sureto stretch after your workouts. I couldn't stress this anymore. It is extremely important to stretch to prevent injury and in the process less the recovery time and soreness pain.

I use the fitball (or swisse ball, whatever) to do some of my core muscles- easier on the back I find... One example- lie on back, support neck with hands, squeeze ball between thighs and knees and gently lift toward belly, gently lower and repeat...

I use three pound weights x 2 and do 15 reps in three sets of arm exercises- bicep curls, shoulder press, Triceps extension and a few others :)

I find this weight level + reps/sets works well for me as a female to both tone and build...

Whats a good workout for arms

@victoria ~ on page 2 of this thread jimmy gave us this website (see below) which is really cool and has helped me A LOT!!!!! just select the parts of the arm and it will give you exercises and videos! TOO DARN COOL!

www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Thanks im gonna look now :-)

Everytime I try weights my back goes out. I do the elliptical...wish I could get my core stronger without hurting myself. Any suggestions?

I have the same issue with my back - instead, I do isometrics, and specifically callanetics and the Bar method (just started the Bar method and LOVE it) - if you like slow, controlled movements, these are fantastic and can really sculpt your muscles. Highly recommended!

I've tried P90X and it's crazy tough. One that is tough but is doable for us ladies...Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. Start easy and go at your pace and then repeat the series if you need to. It is crazy fun too. I cannot wait til I drop a few pounds and start it again. I have a very week knee and I am just too heavy for it. But one day I will.

Hey Jimmy I have a membership at golds gym what are your opinions on the body pump class (it is a weight lifting class and I believe it covers the whole body but I haven't been so I'm not sure) is that a good place to start at?

Jimmy- you are such a great guy. Thanks for helping all of us and wanting success for each of us. Your time and attention to helping others shows what a great spirit you have!

thanks so much :) Its refreshing to see and feel the love!

Knowledge is meant to be shared and passed on. The same way I was taught will be the same way I will teach, too bad I couldn't get you all into the gym for 1 day and show you some tricks or the trade front and center

Omg! Im in love with this thread!!!

Hope so, this thread is meant to enable and motivate those who WANT the change and a higher success rate