Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Advice To All Newly Post-Op Sleevers...

big THANKS OP!!!!

i am a week post-op' date=' i have about 75 more lbs to lose, i walk/bike/jog pre and post op, 39 yrs old, a mother of 2, fairly active just never been consistant. what do you suggest? heavy less reps? light lifting more reps? how many times a week? how many times a day? i'm not really good with individual weights so I will probably start going back to the gym to use the weight machines. I do have individual weights at home up to 15 lbs. would you suggest using while watching tv, perhaps? in addition to going to the gym. i get my drain out tomorrow so I will start doing weights this weekend! OR do you think that's too soon? I'M FEELING GREAT THO! getting all my Protein in! YAY!

I know right...my invoice is in the mail, huh?

see....you should have never said you were a trainer...now you've got a stalker. lol j/k

thanks in advance for all your help![/quote']

Intermediate weights... Start with the machines, then move your way up to cables, then finally free weights. Why u ask? Because u want to build up strength in order to maintain the free weights and in the process do the execute the exercise correctly!

No watching tv unless there's a trainer on it guiding you because, watching tv actually distracts u from

Concentrating in the muscle you want to work out.

Weights are too soon for u because you want the wounds to close properly before doing vigorous workouts or u will be right back in the hospital for another 2 weeks.

DONT FORGET EAT OR DRINK ENOUGH Protein.< /p>

THIS HELPS BUILD AND FUEL MUSCLE DEVEVOPLMEMT AND WEIGHTLOSS.

It's a struggle with the weight however~ I'm very active with Kickboxing and Roller Skating it just doesn't show with my roundness~ I am 5'3 250ish. :ph34r: ......I am looking forward to my body being a reflection of my active lifestyle~

T~ :wub:

Then use lighter weights until it gets easier. The reason why because as u get older you will not be able to push ya self as hard with these cardio workouts So u regain weight. With weights u build muscle and muscle always burns more calories...

To maximize weightloss try this:

Use freeweights first, then jump into your classes and watch the weight melt away like butter in the microwave.

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is weight training? What excersises are good for the stomach & arms?

This may seem like a dumb question' date=' but what is weight training? What excersises are good for the stomach & arms?[/quote']

Weight training is the use of free weights such as dumbells and barbells

Everytime I try weights my back goes out. I do the elliptical...wish I could get my core stronger without hurting myself. Any suggestions?

Intermediate weights... Start with the machines, then move your way up to cables, then finally free weights. Why u ask? Because u want to build up strength in order to maintain the free weights and in the process do the execute the exercise correctly!

No watching tv unless there's a trainer on it guiding you because, watching tv actually distracts u from

Concentrating in the muscle you want to work out.

Weights are too soon for u because you want the wounds to close properly before doing vigorous workouts or u will be right back in the hospital for another 2 weeks.

DONT FORGET EAT OR DRINK ENOUGH Protein.

THIS HELPS BUILD AND FUEL MUSCLE DEVEVOPLMEMT AND WEIGHTLOSS.

I agree and hear you LOUD and clear it is too early. you'er absolutely right, execution is KEY and that's why i want to start with the machines to get my form correct. I will not watch TV, you're right again. GREAT INFORMATION!

Not sure what intermediate weight would be? i'm guessing it would depend on the amount of sets/reps i do? maybe i will start with at least 10 depending on the muscle(s) i'm working on. can you point me to a good website that explain the different machines and describe the area/muscle that machine works? Can you tell me what areas to concentrate on? i saw you mentioned core...can you elaborate on how to use weight training for your core? I will google/research but just some questions i have. :)

You've been a HUGE help!

Everytime I try weights my back goes out. I do the elliptical...wish I could get my core stronger without hurting myself. Any suggestions?

Yeah, use lighter weights... U don't HAVE to lift heavy but you could even it out by doing more reps.

If your form is mastered, I garantee your back won't go out. Bad form always results in negative pain...

I agree and hear you LOUD and clear it is too early. you'er absolutely right' date=' execution is KEY and that's why i want to start with the machines to get my form correct. I will not watch TV, you're right again. GREAT INFORMATION!

Not sure what intermediate weight would be? i'm guessing it would depend on the amount of sets/reps i do? maybe i will start with at least 10 depending on the muscle(s) i'm working on. can you point me to a good website that explain the different machines and describe the area/muscle that machine works? Can you tell me what areas to concentrate on? i saw you mentioned core...can you elaborate on how to use weight training for your core? I will google/research but just some questions i have. :)

You've been a HUGE help![/quote']

Intermediate weights would be the use of machines that has only one range of motion.

A great website would be www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

All u gotta do is click in the body part you want to workout and it will give u a list of workouts with video/image tutorials

But my best suggestion is to invest in a trainer for 2 months so u familiarize yourself with the machines and equipment. This way you know exactly where you need to be and exactly how to target the areas you want to refine.

Core is everything from under your chest to above your waist line. Which are you abs and obliques. In this stage you would do simple works like planks, side planks crunches, side crunches, bicycle crunches and holding in your stomach as long as you can for a certain amount of time 10-15 times a day.

But cardio is te best way to lose core fat because we cannot control where the weight will shed from because our body evenly distributes the weight.

Thanks for the tutorial website- it should prove useful for me when I'm cleared to do weights which my doc usually does between 2 and 3 months out.I can't stretch to a gym membership so I'll be doing a weights routine at home. I am 3.5 weeks out and was cleared to submerge a week ago so I have started swimming 30 minutes a day which I love. I plan to add 5 minutes a week until I'm up to an hour. I believe it is good for several muscle groups and great for cardio.

Then use lighter weights until it gets easier. The reason why because as u get older you will not be able to push ya self as hard with these cardio workouts So u regain weight. With weights u build muscle and muscle always burns more calories...

To maximize weightloss try this:

Use freeweights first, then jump into your classes and watch the weight melt away like butter in the microwave.

LMBO...Did you say Butter and Popcorn...too funny! Thanks again for the tips~

T~

Thanks Jimmy!! :)

So please tell me how to get rid of this horrible arm fat. You know...this nasty under arm fat that waves for 10 mins after my hand stops waving. :)

Loose skin on the arms arises when you lose too much fat and muscle in a particular area. You would have to do bicep curls and tricep extensions. Actually any strength training workout for your arms will do.

Only way to beat loose skin during ya weight loss journey is to lift weights, period.

Thanks Jimmy for all your advice and resources! I bought my 5lbs weights today, and will be buying ankle weights later on. I am going to start now.. Not having surgery for another 6 months lol but I am obviously obsessed with not having loose skin :D