Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled? Or Are All Bets Off?

Hi all. I'm not sure if I'm panicking over nothing, but I thought I'd ask.... I'm 16 days out of surgery and I've lost about 30 lbs since I started my pre-op diet. However, I stopped losing weight 6 days ago--I haven't lost a single pound since Friday. I haven't been doing anything differently. I'm still on full liquids and I haven't introduced anything new into my diet. I've just been drinking Water, Protein Shakes, and some low-sodium liquidy Soups.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this normal? Shouldn't it be a steady, progressive weight loss? Or are all bets off for the first couple months?

search for the 3 week stall. Nearly every sleever has a stall between 3 and 6 weeks post op. It's our bodies readjusting to our new diet and hydration. It will end soon, just keep following your plan. The good news is that most people's stall breaks dramatically, with a large amount of weight lost seemingly overnight. Mine was 5 or 6 pounds, IIRC. A good thing to keep track of is your measurements. Even when I stall, I see dramatic drops in inches lost. That's when I "shape shift". :)

I "think" I'm just now coming off my week 3 stall...Its been about 10 days of no weight-loss and a couple days I went up. Then yesterday I dropped a pound and last night 2 pounds. Some of it is Fluid. I took a fluid pill. I hope it keeps going down. Hang in there, the scale will move...eventually. :unsure:

I started a stall at four weeks which lasted almost four weeks. But, the scale is finally moving again. I feel your pain, it is FRUSTRATING!! Hang in there. All bets are not off. Just keep following the plan and be patient.

Thanks for sharing that blog, Thesmilos. It explains things well. I will make sure to refer to it the next time I hit a stall and start getting impatient again!

Thank you for all your replies! I knew there was a three week stall, but I stalled after about one week. I'm only 16 days out and I stalled at day 10. It just seems a little strange.

At this point I'm just echoing other, but it's just a stall =) Hang in there, it will start back up!!

completely normal! no worries you will lose more weight!

Get off the scale. Weighing daily, every other day, or multiple times a day only adds stress to your life.I think we are all aware that stress slows weightloss. Pick one day a week and scale n that day, do it in the morning after you go to the restroom ( his is typically your lowest weight of the day). If you have a few days of no loss, chances are that they will straddle the week and all you will see is the your weight loss wasn't as dramatic as the week prior. I know it's not easy to walk by a scale and not use it, but, I took this advice frome someone else, and it's the best thing that I've done since surgery.

I have had the exact same thing! I'm also 16 days out. I lost 12 pounds after surgery and stopped! Finally yesterday I dropped a pound, so hopefully I'm moving again! It is frustrating but I try to remember this time we are in it for the long haul! It will happen! The scale will move again for you too! This time is different from our past failures! Good luck!

The body does at certain times go into "starvation mode"... It basically clings to all the resources it has in case it doesn't get any more, hence all the calories you take in are being automatically stored for a little while until you push through the plateau! This is why diets always fail, you are always hungry and you can push through it until the scales start messing with your mind... This is why surgery helps, it reduces appetite so it takes less calories to make you full but the body is still storing wayyyyyy less than it would be normally!

Be careful about making sure you continue to exercise at these stages as the body clings to fat and starts trying to burn off muscle!