Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, so I have seen commercials lately for mayo and it is all about a BLT. I love BLT's, but rarely eat them. I eat a lot of lettuce wraps, and decided, hey, wouldn't that make a great BLT. So I got a piece of iceberg lettuce, diced some tomatoes, spread a little low cal miracle whip on the lettuce and added 4 slices of bacon, and, TA-DA a BLT. All the taste without the bread. I cook my bacon in the oven on racks so the fat drips off and then drain on paper towel. One slice of bacon has 42 calories, 3 g of fat and 3 g a Protein.

PS, I am 20 months post op, not for the newly sleeved and not something to eat everyday, but boy oh boy, did it hit the spot!

This sounds like something I am going to try. I had bacon over the weekend and ate a lot. Was really shocked when I seen the calorie count. It is so addicting. I see that you are below target weight. Great job! :)

You had me till Miracle Whip. Ewwwwww

I wonder how turkey bacon would work.

I love bacon...like seriously love it. I know it has a lot of fat and a lot of calories but if I had to make a choice of all the cake, candy and ice cream and Cookies I want or a few pieces of bacon, I'd pick the bacon every single time :)

Tomato Soup and BLT's were staples growing up in Chicago as a child.

I am a big fan of lettuce wraps, though I am only 7 weeks out and am going to wait a little while longer on lettuce. I definitely miss salads a lot too.

Yesterday I tried some crab sticks diced with celery & onion and low fat mayo with a slice of tomato on the side it went down very heavy. I am still not quite ready for solid food I guess.

I was told no Tomato Soup because of acidity during the liquid phase and tomato Soup with added shrimp was something I ate regularly pre-op and I was losing 10 pounds a month back then.

I am thinking of having tomato soup (made with skim milk) and my added shrimp today for the first time. I think the carbs are a bit high, but as long as I stay below 30 carbs a day, I'll be fine. I've already done the gazelle 45 minutes and swam Water walked, jogged and lifted weights 1-1/2 hours so far today. I suppose I can add another walk to my day to allow the tomato soup in.

Thanks for reminding me that down the road, bacon will be doable in small amounts.

Sounds yummy. Can't wait to get far enough to try it.

Sent from my iPad using VST

You had me till Miracle Whip. Ewwwwww

I wonder how turkey bacon would work.

oh, come on, its tasty! Or you could just have mayo. I am sure turkey bacon would be good too, but I am not into that stuff!

This sounds like something I am going to try. I had bacon over the weekend and ate a lot. Was really shocked when I seen the calorie count. It is so addicting. I see that you are below target weight. Great job! :)

Yeah, I can pack away a lot of bacon too if I want. That is why we only make it once in a while and I don't care how much of it I eat. And once cooked (as long as you don't fry it in its own fat), it is not AS bad as one would think. My lettuce wrap with 4 pieces might have had around 200-250 calories all together, at the most (4 slices bacon=170 calories, lettuce+tomato=almost nothing, 1 tbsp light miracle whip=30 cal, which I did not put a while TBSP on). So it is not that bad when you look at it!

Yes, I am below target. I actually never thought I would get to my target as my weight loss really slowed down. I actually did not reach goal until 18 months post op and the last 2 months I have been losing and have lost around 5 lbs, so it is true that you can continue to lose for the first 2 years! I am proof!

Love this, and I have to say bacon is high in fat, but we all (most of us) love it anyway. I agree about frying it in its own grease. I have tried several things over the years. The microwave trays that try to keep the bacon out of the grease but fail most of the time, to baking on a cookie sheet while its laying in its own grease.

Well my husband will make his own chunky Jerky out of deer meat every year, and i started watching how he will do a batch for his brother, (a special way from the other) he would take a strip of meat and shove a toothpick through the top, and then drop the meat between the racks of the smoker (similar to oven racks) until it catches on the toothpick. The meat just hangs there while he dries it out in the oven. I got to thinking about this with bacon. I so i did the same, put a pan under the bacon to catch the drippings, and to my surprise I got crispy unsoaked bacon. Still high in fat as thats natural meat but I did manage to cook with the grease just dripping away from it, and not laying in it.

I saw a recipe for BLT lettuce wraps recently, fairly similar. I think it was on kraftrecipes.com. I also had one from pinterest for BLT pinwheels. I made them last week to test them out for an upcoming event. I used real bacon, I can only do turkey replacements in so many things. I didn't realize center cut bacon is better so I will try that next time. It was easy and tasty. It was nice just to have a few slices for snack, already made. I wouldn't recommend the whole thing lol but it's a better option for a party appetizer. It was just low fat cream cheese, light mayo or miracle whip, Tomato, shredded lettuce, crumbled bacon on a low carb tortilla. Roll it up and freeze it for an hour-ish so it hardens and it actually looks like pinwheels when you cut it.

It's super good with Turkey Bacon too!

I have often thought that lettuce would make a good bread substitute. I'm not at the solid food stage yet, so I haven't tried it, but in what other recipes could you substitute lettuce for bread?

I have often thought that lettuce would make a good bread substitute. I'm not at the solid food stage yet, so I haven't tried it, but in what other recipes could you substitute lettuce for bread?

I use it as a wrap substitute all the time. So put your meat (I sometimes use turkey breast slices or ham slices), your veggies, and a little seasoning in the middle of the lettuce leaf and then roll it up. I have made a Thai wrap with chicken, peppers, onions, julienned carrots and a little thai sauce...YUM! Let the leaves warm up at room temperature and they will be easier to roll. I am not very good a rolling them up, so mine are a little messy, but still taste good and I don't miss the bread at all! I know people have used them in place of taco shells too, just spoon your taco mix into the middle.

The thin cut turkey bacon is not bad at all. 30 calories for 2 slices. Actually has more Protein than fat. I've eaten it a few times.

And I love using lettuce instead of bread. I have made fajita wraps for lunch twice in the last week.

I have a recipe for buffalo chicken lettuce wraps. I love buffalo chicken anything. However, I'm not approved for lettuce for a few more days but I plan to try it soon!