Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hate The Way Everything Tastes...even Water. Help, Please

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I was just sleeved on July 13th and I am on full liquids. The problem is I hate the way everything tastes and the sugar free stuff is the worst. Not only is the taste of the artificial sweetener so heightened that it is all I taste, but it also makes me run to the bathroom. Right now the only thing I like is a cream of chicken and herbs Soup but I know that is not enough Protein. Any suggestions? And will this change in the near future?

I went through the same thing and still go in and out of hating the powdered Protein Drinks and mixes. there are a few things that helped me get through that time. one i used plain powdered Protein and mixed it into chicken broth when that was what i needed to do. it actually worked and tasted pretty good. the other thing i found to be interesting tasting were the apple melon flavored Isopure drinks from GNC. they ae a clear Protein Drink. expensive but when they are cold they are a great way to get down 40(!!!!) grams of protein. what i found was if i could get that protein down creatively then ice Water was awesome and when that didn't taste good add in a squeeze of fresh fruit for flavor. one more thing - i say it all the time but I lived off the Soups at Trader Joes when I was on a full liquid diet. they are still yummy. i hope this helps! and congrats on your sleeve! the first month is the toughest. : )

It will get better every week! I couldn't do artificial sweetners either. I watered down juice- 1/4 Water, 3/4 juice. Just until my taste buds came back!

I promise you it will change. I couldn't handle my Protein shake that I loved 7 months pre-operation. Water was rough on me, I hated the way everything tasted.

What you are experiencing right now, I went through too and you are only 10 days out. Right now as long as you are getting your liquids in and as much Protein as you can, that's all you have to worry about until your taste buds change back.

I went to a place called Vitamin Shoppe and I bought Syntrax nectar (Fuzzy Navel), I blended that with Isopure Orange to get in extra Protein.

On full liquids I pureed Heart Healthy Bean and Bacon Soup with a little bit of Water, then I added the FULL can of water so it was nothing but liquid and I would have 1/4 cup for dinner. That's as much real food as I was able to get in me.

As far as liquids, I cannot handle sugar-free products unless they are made with Truvia. I drank Bigelow Decaff Peppermint Tea with Truvia and that counts towards your liquids.

I was on full liquids 5 weeks after surgery, then pureed one week, soft the next and now I'm suppose to be on regular food and I'm still basically on Pureed and softs.

Everyone is different. I had a drain for 9 days, I took a nap daily for 2 weeks, I coughed a lot, I only could drink out of a 1 ounce med cup, and I hated drinking out of a water bottle. Sometimes water still tastes weird, but I think it's part of the ketosis though.

Each day is usually better than the day before, a lot of others have experienced this also and you are not alone. I'm 7 weeks out today and I'm doing great, I still am going slow with the foods and still working on soft, but I can handle my Protein Shake, I can drink out of a water bottle now and I feel great.

Only thing I can drink is G2 and Decaf tea. Everything else taste bad.

Wow! Thank you everyone for your speedy replies. I am going to the Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow. I have to go to Barnes and Noble anyway and it is right next door.

I am having issues with the sicky sweet artificial flavors of the Protein shakes now, I am 10 days pre op. Not enjoying them at all. Not sure how I will Handle them after surgery.

Maybe the opposite will happen for you. On my pre-op diet I had no troubles and now I can't stand any of it. Here's hoping.

I have tried the Isopure and while it is tolerable flavorwise, it gives me a dreadful case of cotton mouth. I can't win for losin'! Thanks for the suggestion, though, I am drinking it as much as possible.

I would drink about 1 1/2 bottles per day for 60 grams total Protein of Isopure during the clear liquid stage. I would pour 2/3 of a bottle into a large plastic cup with lots of ice and just sip, sip, sip. The grape and orange flavors were tolerable. As the ice melts, it dilutes the taste of the Isopure enough to get it down easily enough. After those first days I never wanted to see the stuff again though! I would drink orange all morning and grape in the afternoon.

For lunch and dinner I would have either chicken or beef broth.

Good news! Sobe Life Water has zero calories and tastes awesome. I am drinking the fuji apple pear flavor and it rocks! I am so excited. Between this and the Isopure I will stay hydrated and get Protein.< /p>

I like the Sobe Life waters as well. The only thing I've found is you have to pay attention to which ones have sugars in them and which ones don't. They are not all the same you have to check the label. Although you need to get in all of your fluids, you don't want to get in too much sugar either.

Good news! Sobe Life Water has zero calories and tastes awesome. I am drinking the fuji apple pear flavor and it rocks! I am so excited. Between this and the Isopure I will stay hydrated and get Protein.

Have you tried making your own Soup?

Its easy to do if you don;t know and this is how grab chicken a whole one or thighs legs breast whatever you want boil up in Water onions and leeks you can throw in vegetable stock cubes or powder/granules for flavour leave that to simmer for a few hours.

Then drain the stock into a pot/bowl remove all the chicken flesh and throw in the stock so its skin and bone free you can sort out the onion and leeks and throw them in chop up veg any you want throw them in bring to boil them simmer for a few more hours and you have Soup.< /span>

Now you can just drink the broth if you're on that stage or ladle it into the blender and whiz it up to make a thick soup adding more or less of the broth to make it thinner/thicker.

That way there is no added crap except the veggie cubes/powder/granules its got Protein form the chicken it taste miles better and you have loads of it to either potion off and freeze or last you a couple of days and heat as required.

added in if you have chicken and veg left over you can portion it up and freeze for the next stage again blending or keep for more solid stage not blending

Thanks, I will be careful with the Sobe waters. I am being pretty good about reading labels so far but I won't get too comfortable.

I am planning on making my own Soups next week. I have a cookbook that is just Soups and casseroles. I hope to try some recipes soon.