Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last month I was all cleared for surgery and then 7 days into the pre-op diet, I freaked out and cancelled the surgery. I started thinking of all the things I would have to give up ALONG with the food and I started feeling depressed. The 7 days that I was on the pre-op diet made me feel like I was getting a glimps of my future without food and (I'm not going to lie) alcohol. I was highly irritable, short tempered, and hated that everyone around me could eat what ever they wanted and for the rest of my life, I would never be able to do. My husband and I LOVE (and make it a point) to try different kinds of food and drink from different cultures and such. For example, we traveled to Jamaica and made it a point to eat jerk chicken from a street vendor (always the best way to go for authentic)and had to, in the spirit of Jamaica, drink a Bob Marley. Went to india and of course had to have authentic indian food, went to mexico and (well you get the point.) I'm 31 years old and am a newly wed (2 years.) I'm afraid that if I "can't" eat, we'll never have fun and my husband will think I've turned into a "skinny brat."

It's been a little over a month since I cancelled my surgery and I feel guilty about it every day. I am really considring rescheduling, but I am afraid I am not over my initial fear of losing more than food. I'm afraid that down the line my husband will not like me. What's a girl to do? I'm so confused.

I think we are all different. I just came back from Honduras and I had no issues eating locale foods, although I admit this was a concern that I had. I really haven’t had any issues with foods. In the 1st few months I didn’t like meats but now that‘s not an issue. The only problem that I had when I was traveling was not being able to eat all the yummy foods, 4 bites in and I’m done…. :)

You will have to give up foods for about 6 weeks. Pre op 10 days then 2 weeks of liquids, 1 week of soft foods, etc. After that it gets better and better. After your sleeve, you really don't want things like you did before the surgery. I know for me the hardest part was the preop! I thought I would die!!! LOL I made it and I don't regret anything. I had some pain afterward. Spasmz in my chest after swallowing, fatigue, and still struggle with left side pain which I think is a muscle. I'm 9 weeks out today and I've lost 47 pounds. I could have NEVER done that before. You will be so glad and thankful if you make the decision to do this. You really have to want it though. I knew I couldn't do this any other way and I want to be healthy. Good luck and be happy with whatever decision you make!! :)

I have been there JGo. I had doubts hours after the surgery, when you feel the bloating and everyone tells you that you just need to get up and walk. My wife and I went Red Lobster two days before my surgery. I thought that I would order one of each from the menu, but I didn't. One thing that I wish I had done, was apply more of the VSG post-op diet before the surgery. If you get used to starting the day with a Protein Shake and Greek yogurt now, it will be less 'painful' later (post-op). My first whey powder shake was a week after surgery. I tried this beef based first but it didn't 'go down' well. (Who thought Raspberry flavored beef powder was a good idea?). As for alcohol, your body won't miss it and will thank you for it.

IN my case, I had already cut back because alcohol interferes with NSAID's and Tylenol type medicines that I took for my arthritis. Sometimes I do miss the days of us going out and not being conscious of what I order from any menu, but every time I can buy smaller size on the pants and shirt rack, I feel better about it.