Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Types of bands

Hi Everyone,

I need some opinions...

I'm planning to be banded soon. My surgeon offers 2 types of bands...The lap band and the swedish band...does anyone have any info on the differences? Does anyone here have the swedish band?

Thanks for helping!

Marsha :D

don't go for te swedish band. From what i read it's in the process of being redesigned.

Marsha,

From what I've heard, if you're planning on follow up in the US, don't go with the swedish band. It isn't FDA approved and it's even harder to find docs who will follow up.

Guest FlaKate

Marsha, I just had the Swedish band placed on 8/4 in Mexico. The patent has been acquired by Johnson and Johnson and is now in clinical trials in the US. My Dr. apparently demonstrated the first one placed in the US recently, I think in New York. It actually has a longer track record that the LapBand and is utilized extensively in Europe and other countries. Good luck!

I heard there was a MIDBAND now on trial in the US. Is this the Swiss band? Does anyone know what the midband is?

Originally posted by jOANNE

I heard there was a MIDBAND now on trial in the US. Is this the Swiss band? Does anyone know what the midband is?

the midband is made by the french their website is athttp://www.midband.fr/mid_anglais/index.htm

the lapband is usa fda approved their former name was bioenterics and now is called inamed. their website is at http://www.inamedhealth.com/

the swedish band is made by obtech medical, their website was at http://www.obtechmedical.com/indexie2.html , but since it's been aquired by johnson and johnson , that website is down.

Thanks for all your input. My doctor is going to be part of the US study for FDA approval of the swedish band. If I chose the swedish band, I would be part of the study. Well, I see him next week and will get more info then. I'm also worried about insurance not paying for the procedure with the swedish band because it isn't FDA approved. I guess I'll get some of my questions answered next week. In the mean time, I'm interested to hear any other info anyone has to offer so I can make an informed decision!

Thanks to all of you!

Marsha

Guest FlaKate

Marsha, I think if you participate in the trials, it all may be paid for! You bet I would do it. Im now 6 days post Swedish band placement and I feel GREAT with no regrets! Even my "little" gas problem seems to be resolving (thank goodness!). You go girl, follow your heart. Information is POWER!

G'day Folks :)

I've been reading the posts about the various types of bands.

For some reason my Dr has avoided directly answering my question on what type of band I have. I wonder if anyone out there can answer for me??

I asked was it a VG band he said no, thats an old model?

All I know is it holds max 14cc and its a reasonably new model.

I was Banded in December 2006

Anyone got any ideas how I can find out? I've done a google search, but I have to admit I'm no PC wiz.

CHEERS in advance :)

I may be mistaken, but I think that studies done on the Swedish Band show a significantly lower complications rate than the Inamed bands.

Kando

Hi Marsha, I have the swedish band and here in Europe they dont use any other type. Im satisfied and without any problems:-)

G'day Folks :(

I've been reading the posts about the various types of bands.

For some reason my Dr has avoided directly answering my question on what type of band I have. I wonder if anyone out there can answer for me??

I asked was it a VG band he said no, thats an old model?

All I know is it holds max 14cc and its a reasonably new model.

I was Banded in December 2006

Anyone got any ideas how I can find out? I've done a google search, but I have to admit I'm no PC wiz.

CHEERS in advance :)

You likely have the large Inamed AP (Advance Platform) band which is the same on that I have. I know that they use it in Australia and Canada (where I am). Mine is the large & will hold 14cc.

Here is a thread about this band.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/ap-bandits-t24564.html?t=24564

Andrew

You likely have the large Inamed AP (Advance Platform) band which is the same on that I have. I know that they use it in Australia and Canada (where I am). Mine is the large & will hold 14cc.

Here is a thread about this band.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/ap-bandits-t24564.html?t=24564

Andrew

CHEERS Andrew Thanks so much for the information :) I suspect your right about the type of band I have :)

WoW havn't you done amazing? 45lbs in about a month? HOLY SMOKE - Congrats - Well Done! Was all that done since the band? or did you lose some on a liquid diet before surgery?

CHEERS Andrew Thanks so much for the information :eek: I suspect your right about the type of band I have :Banane30:

WoW havn't you done amazing? 45lbs in about a month? HOLY SMOKE - Congrats - Well Done! Was all that done since the band? or did you lose some on a liquid diet before surgery?

About 30 of that was lost in 3 weeks of Optifast preop.

Andrew