Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Praying The Sleeve Helps With Diabetes...

Oh goodness where do I start?

I am in the process of having the procedure done

I have done research and I read that the RNY was a good procedure to have to help put the diabetes in remission. After seeing my Dr., DR. David Le he suggested that I have the sleeve. He said that because I don't have a lot to lose I can do good with the sleeve. I am actually happy that I am having the sleeve done, I was a little nervous about the RNY.

I saw the DR. last week and I really thought he was going to give me a surgery date. I have to wait one more month and lose 10 lbs. my pre-surgery weight should be 175. I am at 185 and measure 4'11".. I have a BMI of 38 and a A1C of 6.5... However when I started the process I was 195. and an A1C of 8.9...

How many of you had the sleeve done to put the diabetes in remission?

I am a type 2, and currently not being able to take meds. for diabetes, they make me very ill.

Just trying to get positive and successful stories to assure myself I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks...

Scaredoftheunknown...

I am also type 2 and am on huge amounts of insulin and pills. I am going to have this to do away with the insulin, I feel like a human pin cushion. I hear that it has helped many get off of insulin and also some that it just improved. Since you are not even on medicine and your A1C is 6.5 you should have it in remission in no time. Best of luck and let me know how it worked for you. I am not going to have surgery till sometime in October if everything keeps going well.

I am not on insulin but have been told it is in my future if I don't get this under control. I am being sleeved next week, so I am praying that it works for me.

I was on metformin (500 mg twice a day). My diabetes disappeared 1 day after surgery. Cool.

I too was on Metformin 500mg twice a day. Then, after my sugar levels and A1c went wild, my doctor switched me to Victoza (non-insulin diabetes med) injections once per day. My sugar levels remained in the mid 200's. I was sleeved on 6/25 and took my last injection the day before as I was not allowed to take it the day of surgery. I have not taken any diabetes medication since then and my levels are consistently in the 80's and 90's. This surgery will most likely prove to have similar results for you as well.

Good luck!

I truly hope and pray that I have great results Like you have!! Only one more week....

scaredoftheunknown

i've had diabetes for the past 20 years. I was on meds and insulin.

when i had the WLS, hospital took me off meds and insulin - told me to see PHP one week after surgery. PHP said to stay off meds till i have a new A1C.

My new number 5.2 -WOW.

no more med or insulin for me.

you may be clear of the diabetes meds too - wonderful feeling.

other health issues may diminish or go away completely i.e. my blood pressure meds. are now gone too

good luck

kathy

I had the same experience with him. I had lost 60lbs and thought I would be getting my sx date But he said he wanted me to lose another 20lbs. That has had me very discouraged. Im finding it very hard to lose those lbs. I feel like I'm under so much pressure since those 20lbs is what is keeping me from my surgery.

My surgery date is next week also and getting away from the diabetic meds is what I am hoping for. I go for my preop tomorrow and then the 31st I get sleeved!! This next week can't come soon enough for me!

I was told on Friday that I have Type 2 though my numbers seem low to me (Glucose: 140, A1C: 7). I hope my upcoming VSG cures this.

I am not on insulin but have been told it is in my future if I don't get this under control. I am being sleeved next week, so I am praying that it works for me.

Good luck with your surgery next week. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

OMG!!! I am so happy for all of you who have had great success with the surgery and having to stop medication or even lower the amounts of medication. The more I read the more courage I get to have the procedure done. For those of you who are ready to be sleeved I hope you too have great success. As well as for those of us who need to lose the weight before having the procedure done.

I am just speechless as how well everyone is doing. I am going to have some family and friends read your comments as some friends are not being to supportive of my decision. They don't get that I am doing this for my diabetes. Yes losing those extra pounds is a plus but putting diabetes in remission is probably the best thing I could do for my health.

Thanks so much.

I was type II and am now in remission. I took my last pill the day before surgery. I did need a few insulin shots immediately post op. Within days, my blood sugars were high normal. Within a few months, I was perfectly normal. I don't really test any longer, but when I stopped testing more than a year ago my levels stayed very constant around 80-95 all day long, even after meals.

I cannot begin to express the change once the diabetes is gone. It affected so many things for me and now I am free to eat and live like a normal person.

Good luck,

~Cheri

I HAD type II diabetes as well. : ) When I was in the hospital they pumped me and everyone else full of fluids with glucose in them. My diabetes sky rocketed and I had horrible headaches. For some reason they weren't monitoring my diabetes well. i had to insist that they check it and then they started giving me insulin shots in the hospital. I had never had insulin shots before then. i was just taking metformin. Since then I'm completely off all meds. Blood work is 100% normal including some elevated liver counts that were in existence pre-surgery. This IS a journey... especially the first month but everything is good now. If I look back one thing that would have been helpful is to have the nurses more in tune with the fact that my blood sugar needed to be monitored more closely.

I was type II and am now in remission. I took my last pill the day before surgery. I did need a few insulin shots immediately post op. Within days, my blood sugars were high normal. Within a few months, I was perfectly normal. I don't really test any longer, but when I stopped testing more than a year ago my levels stayed very constant around 80-95 all day long, even after meals.

I cannot begin to express the change once the diabetes is gone. It affected so many things for me and now I am free to eat and live like a normal person.

Good luck,

~Cheri

I agree having diabetes affects us in so many ways that people who don't have diabetes just don't understand.

I am hoping that I have the same results that you and everyone else on here have had.

THanks for sharing your experience with me.

Gloria