Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Hubby Keeps Eating My Food!

'couse it's a problem, but with an easy solution.

Most of our food is communal, but not one person in this house will eat the last bit of something without asking.

It's understood that there are some things that are for me only like certain Soups, high Protein crackers, my Protein powder and some other things. I will offer them some of my Protein ice cream or things I make, but they wouldn't just go eat it.

My husband and daughter know that I measure and weigh my food. Leftover meat usually goes into my lunch the next day so they make sure I have enough.

They also know that they can eat anything in the house and I cannot. It's just common courtesy.

I don't think he's eating your stuff because he sees that it healthy. He's eating it because it's convenient. He also may in a small way want to be a part of this.

You can buy him the same stuff, but make a shelf and a drawer in the frig and a shelf in the pantry for YOU ONLY. Make it clear. If he gets hurt feelings, just explain it to him.

I have the same problem but my kids eat all my food. They are 8, 6 and 2 years old. I really don't mind because it is healthy. The problem is my kids are considered under weight and we see NUTS for them to gain weight. They are on high protien, high calorie full fat foods. Right now I am pre-op so it is not so much protien drinks they eat. Mostly they eat my Greek yogurt, light baby belle cheese, sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles and my unsweetened almond milk. Once school starts back up I will be better off the older two get packed lunches with the full fat vareities. The two year gets what I give him so that will be an easy fix. Just wanted to say I know how it feels to go to the fridge and find your planned snack had already been eaten.

Tara

I have the same problem but my kids eat all my food. They are 8' date=' 6 and 2 years old. I really don't mind because it is healthy. The problem is my kids are considered under weight and we see NUTS for them to gain weight. They are on high protien, high calorie full fat foods. Right now I am pre-op so it is not so much protien drinks they eat. Mostly they eat my Greek yogurt, light baby belle cheese, sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles and my unsweetened almond milk. Once school starts back up I will be better off the older two get packed lunches with the full fat vareities. The two year gets what I give him so that will be an easy fix. Just wanted to say I know how it feels to go to the fridge and find your planned snack had already been eaten.

Tara[/quote']

This seems like it has an easy solution. Have you tried to buy full fat versions of these items & place them at their level? I'm sure there is something that I'm missing.

Yeah they have the full fat versions they just want to eat what mommy has. When I am home I make them eat the full fat version but when I am not home my husband does not want to fight with them and let's them eat what they ask for or they just grab them on their own. Meals are the best way for me to make sure they get the extra fat and calories without them knowing.

Maybe you could buy him some convenience items of his own that are less expensive? Or cook up things on the weekend that he can grab during the week (I do this for me a lot).

I buy the BIG bag of string cheese at Sam's when we have the $$$. Otherwise, I buy the big block of mozarella or cheddar and cut it into portions and put them in snack baggies for my kids to "share" with me.

I buy unsweetened kool-aid and make it with splenda and put it in bottles in the fridge (invest in some rubbermaid bottles). Besides, there is more variety in kool-aid than crystal light.

My kids love the Eggface Protein Granola so I make a double or triple batch every week. I also portion it out into baggies and hide some away for me (usually 1 a day for yogurt).

I really don't mind that he is eating healthy food, but he has other options for healthy food like the fruit that I buy because he says he wants it and then never eats it and it goes bad. Then he will stop by 7-11 on the way home and buy a huge Slurpee and danishes and donuts and all that sugary stuff I can't have. I am not going to buy anymore Ensure shakes, instead I am going to make my own Protein Shakes and I will buy other convenient healthy foods for him that are not so expensive like yogurt and cheese stix.

My boyfriend was eating my Protein Bars, and if I hide them he says...why are you hiding them! So I buy my yummy clif bars and I buy him whatever is on sale! It irked me because I would buy just enough for the week then he would be up all night just eating all the stuff I bought so I would have to go to the store again. Thank goodness he doesn't eat my cheese sticks or Chobani!!! Those damn Protein bars are expensive! I created a snack drawer for me and one for him. He gets whatever is on sale!

I think you hit the key issue when you said you are possessive about food. That's one of the reasons some of us got here and it's important to get over which MIT mean some counseling. I "hear" in your words resentment that he can eat crap that you can't. If its not a money issue than you need to take a step back here and deal with the real issue.

I think you hit the key issue when you said you are possessive about food. That's one of the reasons some of us got here and it's important to get over which MIT mean some counseling. I "hear" in your words resentment that he can eat crap that you can't. If its not a money issue than you need to take a step back here and deal with the real issue.

The words I would use are: "He eats crap that I wouldn't want to eat." I don't think the issue is being possessive. I think it's the fact that we so carefully plan our menus and when the food is not there (because somebody else ate it), we cannot eat the way we are supposed to.

Either the whole household goes over to better eating with maybe a few special treats that the sleever shouldn't eat for the rest of the family OR

The rest of the family keeps their hands off the healthy food or refrains from eating every last bit of something and replace the food they ate in a timely manner.

Simple consideration.

I would just not buy the "crap" and double up on the healthy stuff, then get a plastic storage box that fits in your fridge, put your portions for the week in it an label it with your name, then tell him he can have whatever is not in the box. Encourage him to continue eating healthy (even if it's not the reason, this may put the idea in his head) - tell him your proud of his food choices, but that you made the box to ensure you would get what you need throughout the week.

Good luck!