Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started My Liquids

OMG!!! I'm so excited but scared out of my mind. I start liquids, Monday the 23rd. Then the big day August the 6th... Also I have been having doubts about following thru. My husband says if I go through with it or not he will love me no matter what. I think the biggest thing that is getting to me is the surgery & the healing process. What keeps playing back & forward in my head is that we have 4 kids. What if i don't wake up? I couldn't bare the thought of leaving behind my husband & our 4 kids. Are these feelings normal?

You WILL wake up. I had the same thoughts when I was first put under last year, since then, due to complications from a gallbladder removal, I have been put under 3 times and it's a piece of cake. There is an anesthestist there monitoring your every breath, move, heart rate. Don't worry. Don't even let your mind think about something like that - you need to stay positive!

My husband told me the exact same thing you are saying. I'm trying. Thanks for the positive feedback. It's just hard sometimes wondering if I'm really doing the right thing here.

I'm only 4 days post op and I still have moments of wondering. One thing the dr's prep you for is all the physical aspects (pre op, post op diets and limitations, etc) but I wish someone had told me that there is also an emotional/spiritual aspect of all this. We didn't get overweight because we were just extra hungry. food is our drug and by Day 2 out of the hospital, I was craving a huge plate of chicken and rice. I TOTALLY wasn't prepared for that. I thought I would be nauseated and just have no appetite. Since then, it's been a struggle. I wish someone had told me "IT'S GOING TO BE HARD!" I was naively thinking that it would be easy... well at least easier. BUT, here's the catch, in spite of all of that - the numbers on the scale are going down (even on day 4) my face actually looks slimmer and my pores are tightening! My clothes are looser. There are POSITIVES and there are NEGATIVES. The key is to ride the waves as they come and STAY POSITIVE. Remember, you WILL eat again. This is what I keep telling myself when that b***h Martha Stewart keeps posting food recipies on Pinterest.

Think about your reasons for doing it in the first place. Whether, they are for health, to overcome your physical limitations, for fashion, for your kids, for whatever - I am struggling hardcore with missing food and even though it sucks (omg, it sucks it sucks it sucks!) I would do it all over again in an instant.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent. I think I wrote that more for me than for you. ANyway, stay positive. It's all any of us can do!

Your pores shrink? That would be nice.

One person I talked to said she grieved for food for about a month after her surgery.

Yes Shell12 - greif is the exact word! It's mourning. I miss my food and how it comforted/occupied me. Today is a little easier than yesterday and I'm sure there will be ups and downs but so far, the biggest lesson I can learn from this whole process is, NOTHING is black and white. It's not all or nothing, there is always an in between, a shade of gray.

And yes, my skin is so much clearer, plus i've been using a new toner and skin care line :)

My kids are basically grown. if something were to happen they would feel horrible for not coming to support me. ive asked them to stay home for money reasons alone (unless I can find one of those deal flights at the last minute).

We take chances every day. Personally I drive a accident prone road everymorning/afternoon to pay the bills. I have had quite a few accidents over the years (yes, i'm hell on wheels but most were not my fault). In addition, every time you got pregnang there's always that chance. But the love you have for you and your family keeps you strong. This is no different, except no diapers and in the end you will be able to do more with your loving family. Just keep thinking about the things you will be able to do and not focus on the "what ifs".

Good luck.

2 Klaaspice

OMG, really even after 4 days that's awesome. I keep telling myself that: for my health, kids (to be able to run around & play with them as much as I can without getting tired within 5 minutes), physical limitations. Yes ma'am I will stay positive from now on.

I am now a week out and do not know what the scale says yet. As far as hungry I have not been at all but there are things I am kind of craving even though I am still on Clear Liquids and know the 1 or 2 items that sound good are not on the plan for at least a few weeks. I agree there is a emotional aspect to all of this. The better your at home support is the better you will do. Having my husband with me for the visit with the nutritionist prior to surgery really helped. He understands what I am going through.

These feelings are completely normal. You are taking a risk and with that comes some anxiety. When you have a thought that says "What if I don't wake up?" find a positive, balanced counter thought such as "This surgery has a 99% success rate and it is most likely I will wake up". We all have negative thoughts and worries, but it's important to hear if that thought it the truth or the only possibility. I constantly think "I'm crazy to go to Mexico to have surgery and am going to be judged by others" but I remind myself that "I made a well researched and informed decision for myself and for my life, not for anyone else". Anyway, fear is an automatic response to risk and the unknown -- it's good you have it, it's what keeps you safe, like a smoke alarm, but it's just going having a false alarm right now!