Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Can I Start Eating Bread?

I started having a small bite here or there of bread at about 6 weeks. But it landed very heavy in the tummy - about half a slice of bread or a couple of bits of thin pizza are about all I can handle.

Also, this first year is critical. Most of the weight should come off during this time. So dont waste it by having bread and jam unless its a special treat.

Okay thanks Everyone!!!

I get low carb crackers at the regular grocery store and make my "sandwich" on 3-4 crackers, open faced :) it helped with my desire for a bagel, cream cheese and lox. Now I just have a mini version!

Edited by akreese02

@@K-Lynn because it is a starchy carbohydrate and it will lead to weight gain. Also, many overweight folks are addicted to carbs and sugar, both in breads...My surgeon has all his patients avoid all starchy carbs (breads, pastas, potatoes, rice) until they have reached their goal/maintenance weight. By that time you should be more in control of your eating and if you start to gain weight, hopefully you have learned tools to get it back off quickly.

@@K-Lynn because it is a starchy carbohydrate and it will lead to weight gain. Also, many overweight folks are addicted to carbs and sugar, both in breads...My surgeon has all his patients avoid all starchy carbs (breads, pastas, potatoes, rice) until they have reached their goal/maintenance weight. By that time you should be more in control of your eating and if you start to gain weight, hopefully you have learned tools to get it back off quickly.

Thank you!! No more for me, it was also giving me heartburn again!!! Not sure why :-(

@ImprovedDreamerGirl On your info it says you are LapBand? For me bread was the one thing that made me miserable every time I attempted to eat it, even 9 years out without an empty band, bread was my enemy. It just forms a dough ball that wont go down, and sits there until it slimes up or it is puked up. I could tolerate very toasted bread, it didn't make that same dough ball.

I am almost 11 weeks out and I use Arnold Whole Grain Double Protein bread toasted WELL. I allow myself UP TO 1 slice a day and for 100 calories it gives me 7g of Protein 3g Fiber and only 2g of sugar. just 1/2 a slice (or 1/4 of a sandwich) piled high with turkey, rare roast beef or chicken gives me a good amount of protein and is very satisfying. No issues with my tummy but I think I have a very well behaved sleeve so ymmv. I personally would avoid pb & jelly but as an occasional treat I think it might be tasty on the bread I mentioned.

K-Lynn...everyone will offer you different bits of advise. I am 6 months out now and for me personally, I simply can not tolerate bread. I can do a few mini crackers from time to time. However, I don't go overboard. If I want "pizza" there is a recipe to use cauliflower chopped to make the crust. Listen to what your dr/nut advises and listen to your own body. Anytime you venture into new food phases take it slow... Keep in mind the signal from the tummy is slow to reach our minds. I am only offering you my own personal experiance. My dr/nut will allow bread and other things that some dr/nut advise to stay away from....yet they always advise to make good choices. With the sleeve we have to reprogram our way of eating and go with out needs first over our wants....

Hugs of support in your adventure

I am two weeks post op. My dr/nut told me to add gradually. But also in moderation. Make healthy choices. Some will say no, some will say yes, ultimately it is the individuals toleration and dr/nut plan. I have heard some say that they experienced dumping after eating bread and some that took two thru three bites and had no problems afterwhich they became full and fulfilled the craving without relapsing. My dr/nut had me start on a stage that most people told me they hadn't started until six months out. Funny thing my nurse told me was don't listen to everyone you can use caution on what may trigger your sleeve and give you irritation but most importantly listen to your individual dr/nut and also pay close attention to you own individual body. I wouldn't go head crazy over bread but I would ask my dr/nut what they would prefer for you to have if you are having that craving. This is an old post but I decided to post anyway in case someone just as I, who was spending most of their time searching for every single piece of food that we place in our mouths after surgery trying to make sure that we weren't about to stretch our sleeve making sure that you ask your dr/nut and also look for those that have somewhat the same tolerants as you. Your body may or may not adjust well to bread. Take a bite of healthy whole grain or wheat bread and walk away. If you make it through that with no problems eat in serving portions and watch the calories and limit the rest of your calorie intake for the rest of the day.....Good luck to anyone who has had the sleeve, and congrats to those that have made it to their goal weight. God bless

I'm solidly in the "no bread" group and recommend staying away from all starches and sugar. Pretty much everyone I know or who has posted that they have started gaining weight, has admitted that carbs and sugar were their downfall. So why do it? Enjoy dips, guacamole, or hummus on carrot sticks, celery sticks or cucumber slices. Or just eat dips with a tiny spoon. You get more of the flavor that way. At parties, I load up my appetizer plate with dips, veggies, cheese, and meats -- but no carbs! I eat nuts; but even though Peanut Butter is probably okay, I stay away from it because I'm afraid one spoonful will lead to a million. Much like one slice of bread will.

I was cleared (medically safe) for all foods at my one month check. I have half a piece of oat bread toast with my eggs about 3 times a week and have had no problems with it. I do not find that I want more, or want carbs all the time. nutrition is right where it should be and my weight loss is right on track, per my bariatric practice.

I would just choose a no sugar added jam if you do this, and treat it like a fruit serving. We made some strawberry freezer jam with stevia this summer which would be an appropriate choice if your plan, like mine allows fruit.

I get thin multigrain rice cakes that are gluten free and put Peanut Butter on it. That's the extent of my bread eating. Although I did have a bit of a bread stick at Olive Garden with my mussels!!!

I'm solidly in the "no bread" group and recommend staying away from all starches and sugar. Pretty much everyone I know or who has posted that they have started gaining weight, has admitted that carbs and sugar were their downfall. So why do it? Enjoy dips, guacamole, or hummus on carrot sticks, celery sticks or cucumber slices. Or just eat dips with a tiny spoon. You get more of the flavor that way. At parties, I load up my appetizer plate with dips, veggies, cheese, and meats -- but no carbs! I eat nuts; but even though Peanut Butter is probably okay, I stay away from it because I'm afraid one spoonful will lead to a million. Much like one slice of bread will.

I had a sandwich on vacation. I could only eat 3 small bites. I am on the 99 percent track. Eat right 99 percent of the time and know when to have that 1 percent. I don't eat birthday cake, but if it's my birthday, I will.

But I am not a food addict.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app