Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Beginning My Journey - I Have Questions

Hello, I'm new in the forum and new to this whole process. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. First my story, I live in Portland Oregon and am fortunate to have two healthcare plans that both cover surgery at 100%, Kaiser and IBX (Independence BCBS). I have the option to try to be referred through either.

I am 5'6", 253 lbs. I have tried every diet under the sun but have a hard time losing any weight. I have severe IBS ever since having my gallbladder out and cannot eat any raw vegetables, several steamed vegetables, oatmeal, dairy, etc...so it's very hard to diet, fibromyalgia, moderate arthritis with bulging disks from L1-S1. I am pre-diabetic which worries me because my mother has diabetes and her father died young from complications from Diabetes. I have low blood pressure and borderline high cholesterol. I had a hysterectomy at age 27 but still have my ovaries. I'm worried my health issues will not be seen as severe enough for surgery or that my IBS will disqualify me.

Did anyone have IBS pre-surgery? Anyone try to go through Kaiser? IBX? Any answers or support would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Renee

Hi there... I have ibs and lots of the other stuff you mentioned. Although my ibs is not as severe as yours. I don't think it will stop you from having surgery though. I'm fairly sure you will still be able to do this despite your food issues. Most people end up unable to tolerate dairy and some of the other things you can't have till further out anyways and most people eat Protein first and don't have room for a lot else... I think you'll do fine!

Thanks for the encouragement. I have even started the process and have already been told by my primary physician through Kaiser that he won't refer me to their program. Looks like I'll have to try it through IBX BCBS.

Is your doc just against the surgery all together? At least you have another option.

Hi...I have my initial kaiser appt scheduled with the nutritionist on Aug. 6th. I hope I will qualify as a candidate. I'm 5'3" and weight 216 lbs. Anyone else go through Kaiser in Virginia? My PCP said I had to go through 6 months of classes...that sure is a long time...I was hoping to get in done in the next 1-3 months.

I have Kaiser. I am 4'11" weight 184 lbs. and I am diabetic, high blood pressure and cholesteral.

I spoke to my dr. and she sent the referral the same day. I went to the overview class for surgery and thought it wasn't for me as I thought I didn't have much weight to lose (so I thought). I asked to be sent to a dietitian who specializes in diabetes, I followed the same meal plan as the pre-op people follow and lost some weight joined the gym and yes my A1C improved but.... I still have diabetes. So I emailed my dr. and told her I wanted to go ahead and have the surgery. I just saw the surgeon and all tho I didn't get a date for surgery he told me I am a candidate because I have the comorbitity diseases. I see him in August and I am hoping I get my date.

You should try talking to your php and ask why they won't refer you.

Good thing you have another health plan that covers the surgery.

Best of luck to you.

Although I received bad news from Kaiser, my primary still won't refer me regardless if my BMI is over 40, BCBS is an automatic approval with a BMI over 40 with no wait time. I have to meet with a dietician once and that's it. Feeling so much better. Just waiting on my first appointment with the Nurse to get this going.

Hello' date=' I'm new in the forum and new to this whole process. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. First my story, I live in Portland Oregon and am fortunate to have two healthcare plans that both cover surgery at 100%, Kaiser and IBX (Independence BCBS). I have the option to try to be referred through either.

I am 5'6", 253 lbs. I have tried every diet under the sun but have a hard time losing any weight. I have severe IBS ever since having my gallbladder out and cannot eat any raw vegetables, several steamed vegetables, oatmeal, dairy, etc...so it's very hard to diet, fibromyalgia, moderate arthritis with bulging disks from L1-S1. I am pre-diabetic which worries me because my mother has diabetes and her father died young from complications from Diabetes. I have low blood pressure and borderline high cholesterol. I had a hysterectomy at age 27 but still have my ovaries. I'm worried my health issues will not be seen as severe enough for surgery or that my IBS will disqualify me.

Did anyone have IBS pre-surgery? Anyone try to go through Kaiser? IBX? Any answers or support would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Renee[/quote']

I have ibx I

5'4 and starting weight was at 262 an no health problems at all and I got approved I'm sure you will too

So I have all of my appointments scheduled for August and September. I also have a sleep study scheduled (although technically its not required). The sleep study doctor thinks I have sleep apnea just based on how small my airway is. She has also recommended I have my tonsils out. Says they are too large for my age? Anyway, getting excited that the process is finally moving forward.