Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Else Very Nervous About The Surgery And The Strict Diet Afterwards?

I am very nervous about the surgery and the strict diet afterwards. Anybody else feel this way? I don´t know if I am going to be able to follow the dietary guidelines etc...

Yes somewhat. But this is just not a surgery by choice but a choice we have come to, making a whole lifestyle change.

Thanks I really needed to hear that. I guess I expect to be as "hungry" all the time as I am now, I guess if will not be the same. I am just going to go for it and expect the best. Knowing that everything will be different and I will too.

Yes, I worry about this too. Mainly because my mind can't quite wrap around the idea that I won't have to worry about a "strict" diet plan. If I tried to make myself live off meals of 2-4 ounces a piece, I would immediately fail and go get a back cheeseburger. But the sleeve is going to give us the tool to be successful. I'm definitely going to get some counseling to help me through this transition. We'll get there and it will be great!

I think it's all a mind set. Am I nervous? Of course. I'm also very excited and after 48 years, I've made up my mind. It's all upstairs in my head. I'm ready for this now. My kids are raised and I have nothing, or no excuses left to stop me. Onward and upward. August 1st can't get here soon enough!!!

I'm a year out. You find your *groove* after a few months. There are no foods that are off limits to me, I just eat them in far smaller quantities.

If you are going to do this right, there is a fundamental change in your relationship with food. Make no mistake about that. Sure, you can sit down to that Taco Bell Burrito Supreme and force yourself to eat the whole thing ... with discomfort ... but then you really need to ask yourself, why am I doing this? Was I not full after 4 bites? Why do I feel I have to eat more? Getting to the heart of these issues can be disturbing and scary.

We are what we are for many reasons. This whole journey is not solely about smaller portion sizes. At least, it isn't for me.

I was worried about the preop diet and the liquid portion of the postop diet. Here I am off restriction since this past Tuesday and I can't believe the 8 weeks (2 preop, 6 postop) have passed. I really doubted making it through it all but I did. Remember the big picture and that the diet restrictions are only for a small time in the whole scheme of life.

Believe in yourself! You CAN do this!

I really needed to hear all this! This is so helpful. I am much less nervous and I already started packing my bags for the sugery tonight. My date is until the last days of Aug, but I am so exited I want to start "getting ready"-- I CAN DO THIS ! I know I can do it the right way thanks to all of you. <3 Wish me luck! ;D

I don't go until October and was not nervous UNTIL, I tried a friend's Protein bullet. Yuck, blech, ptooey!!! So now I'm a little anxious, but trying very hard to re-psych myself. I keep telling myself that I don't have to use those. Planning to order some sample packets these next few weeks. Hope I find a couple that I love!

I don't go until October and was not nervous UNTIL, I tried a friend's Protein bullet. Yuck, blech, ptooey!!! So now I'm a little anxious, but trying very hard to re-psych myself. I keep telling myself that I don't have to use those. Planning to order some sample packets these next few weeks. Hope I find a couple that I love!

I just bought my Protein Drinks at costco. It's called Premier Protein shakes. They have chocolate and vanilla. They only have 2 gr of sugar and they taste great! Well great compared to all the rest. I also bought the Magic Bullet blender there too and have mixed the chocolate Protein Shake with some frozen berries. I start my clear liquid diet sunday so I cant add the berries then, but you can mix is with ice, and a little coffe and make a blended coffee. I'm so ready for this challenge and can't wait to start getting results. My surgery is Aug. 1st. Good luck!!

Yes, I like the Premier Protein shakes too. I get mine at Sam's Club, but I wish we had a costco here in central Arkansas... I have a Ninja that is great for grinding up ice cubes into little bits, AND it has 4 individual sized blender cups that I can take with me. Ordered it from Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Your surgery date is just around the corner! Good Luck too!!

I'm so glad I found this thread. Everyone's responses are so helpful - it's definitely something I'm fearful of. Part of me is questioning if I can "last" that long - through the pre op liquid diet and post op, but it does help knowing that I just don't yet know how I'll feel post op yet, so it's hard to wrap my brain around it.

I think it's natural, having gotten to the stages where we are, to simply question if you can do it. I know it will be challenging (for me, mostly mental) every day and having tried and failed at so many different weight loss diet and lifestyle attempts, my biggest fear is - what if it won't work? What if I'm not mentally strong enough to do this?

Reading people's experiences and positive encouragement and support makes me think I can.

If you're looking for a good Protein Shake, try costco Premium ready to go shake you can get vanilla or chocolate they taste very good. my husband had the surgery 3 days ago, he did the pre op diet for 18 days and lost 30 lbs. if you dont like the store bought broth, make it at home. I make beef broth by boiling a pc of bone chuck steak bone in, add Tomato and onion, salt n pepper n after meat is cooked add cilantro. Trust me its yummy :) try sf Jello, low carb yogurts. This is the same diet he is doing now post op. He isnt hungry but he takes it for the Protein he needs. I am trying to invent a new menu for my husband, I will do what ever I can to help him succeed in our new life!!! Good luck :)

I'm a funny beast....I can totally rock two months of any diet :) (then hagendas for the third month right?) so I'm not worried...that and I recently spent two years in hospital with my baby, so I've had so much hospital I deeply fear it enough to stick to the after diet to a tee......if not almost fear real food after due to fear of leaks and complications leading to the dreaded hospital.....

If you need me to share horror stories of hospital to keep you on the straight and narrow path just let me know. I could scare the bejeezus...or chocolate ice cream, right out of you!

I don't go until October and was not nervous UNTIL' date=' I tried a friend's Protein bullet. Yuck, blech, ptooey!!! So now I'm a little anxious, but trying very hard to re-psych myself. I keep telling myself that I don't have to use those. Planning to order some sample packets these next few weeks. Hope I find a couple that I love![/quote']

Just so you know, the Protein bullets are NOT recommended AT ALL for sleevers. whey protein is best suited for us as we need the absorption quicker than how bullets (cassien protein) deliver it. Those are more for body builders. Do a site search here on protein bullets.