Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am under 10 months post op. I've hit my goal and could not be happier with my sleeve. But for the past month, I have had bouts of pain in my back around my ribcage, sometimes going to the front of my abdomen. Very uncomfortable; I can't seem to get in a position for relief. But the pain isn't unbearable. This happened about 3-4 times a week, for a couple of hours each time. I assumed it was just back pain. Last week after supper, I began having this horrid pain that started in my back that expanded around my rib cage to my stomach area. I was crying and couldn't find a position for any relief again. Incredibly painful, but I was afraid to go to the ER for fear of it just being an unimaginable case of gas. So the next day I went to my doctor and he thought it might be kidney stones. I went for a ct scan (no dye) and it came back normal. That very night I had an attack of pain so severe that I couldn't hardly breathe. The pain started just to the right of my stomach and flared all the way to my back. I dropped to the floor screaming and writhing from the worst pain I have ever experienced. My husband came home to take me to the ER and after 20 minutes, the pain immediately stopped. We went to the ER anyway and they did a ct scan with the dye, along with bloodwork and a urinalysis, and I could not believe it when they told me it was all normal too. While it has not happened since, I've been wondering if it could have been a gallstone that passed. I'm not sure if it would show up on a ct scan a few hours after passing. Has anyone else had gallstone pain post op or gallbladder attacks? I truly don't think that pain could possibly been caused by gas. My sister had to have hers out a few years ago.

that def sounds like ur gall bladder. call ur primary care dr & get a prescription for an ultra sound.

the next time u get the pain, press down under ur right boob. if it takes ur breath away, its ur gall bladder.

i had a gall bladder attack on thanksgiving night of '09. called 911. went to the hospital & ended up having emergency surgery.

Sounds like gallbladder to me--I had a very similar experience at 10 months post-op. There was a stone in the pancreatic duct that caused me the pain you describe. I went to the hospital and by the time they had done all the exams and labs the acute pain was gone and I just felt like someone had hit me with a baseball bat a few days before. The ultrasound showed more than a hundred stones and mine came our four days after the attack. Don't wait for another one, they hurt too much!

What is the typical time period for someone to have gallstones?

I am only 4 months post op and I think I am starting to have attacks. :/

2 months out, just had it taken out yesterday emergency

Just had a sono last week and my doctor said I have gall stones. I will be 4 months post on the 2nd of August. I am scheduled to have my gall bladder out August 23. I definitely do NOT want to have an attack or emergency surgery. Hope you feel better!

A coworker of mine has been having trouble with her gallbladder and was told it's hard to see the actual problem while you're not having an attack. I hope that they figure out what it is soon, the pain sounds awful =(

as today I'm 2 months post surgery vsg .on monday my doctor did a emergengy surgery took my gallbladder out is four day today I'm in pain this surgery was worse that the vsg. hope i dont have any more complication. I feel kind of deppress upset do to I can do nothing at all. no used to be in bed for so long. I will like to find out is there are any one how have the surgery like me and how quick is the recovery thanks

Really? Are surgeons not putting their patients on a preventative for gallstones?? Mine prescribes Actigall (aka Ursodiol) as a matter of course (unless you no longer have your gallbladder) for at least the first 6 months post-op. Gallstones are a pretty common side effect of rapid weight loss. I was more than happy to take a preventative - after WLS I wasn't in any hurry to have surgery again - for anything - EVER!

that was good that you Dr. gave some med for prevention is too late now for me is done feeling much better as a today lost 2lbs so far hope i can eat more in the next day.

Really? Are surgeons not putting their patients on a preventative for gallstones?? Mine prescribes Actigall (aka Ursodiol) as a matter of course (unless you no longer have your gallbladder) for at least the first 6 months post-op. Gallstones are a pretty common side effect of rapid weight loss. I was more than happy to take a preventative - after WLS I wasn't in any hurry to have surgery again - for anything - EVER!

My Dr also prescribes Actigal. I just need to be more diligent about taking it. Because I'm not allowed to swallow pills I have to open the capsule and put it in pudding... very nasty taste.

Oh yeah, I remember those days, and the Actigal was absolutely the worst - it made me shudder every time, but I was SO motivated to take that one. Fortunately, it wasn't too long before I could start taking them whole.

Hey, that's funny - I just noticed we had the same surgeon, no wonder! Dr. C. ROCKS!!

My surgeon prescribed the generic of Urso Forte to prevent gallstones. It's a rather large, oval tablet that early on caused a big gag reflex. I take it with my dinner and I'm highly motivated to take it to avoid gallbladder problems.

Some info:

What is Urso Forte (Ursodiol)?

Ursodiol is a bile acid that decreases the amount of cholesterol produced by the liver and absorbed by the intestines. Ursodiol helps break down cholesterol that has formed into stones in the gallbladder. Ursodiol also increases bile flow in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis.

Ursodiol is used to treat small gallstones in people who cannot have gallbladder surgery, and to prevent gallstones in overweight patients undergoing rapid weight loss. Ursodiol is also used to treat primary biliary cirrhosis.

Ursodiol is not for treating gallstones that are calcified.

My Dr. is removing my gallbladder while he does the sleeve. Alittle nervous i was told I would be sore on both sides because of this but reading everything about people needing there gallbladder out after wards I think its worth it to do it all at once.

HINTS; since I have been having gallbladder issues off and on for 1 year now.. Drink lemon either straight or with Water. NO ICE Water, makes it worse, room temp water. Helps the pain to a point.

Today I had my fourth major attack. From everything I've read, it's gotta be gallstones. Two weeks ago, I called every GI doctor in my area and next Wednesday, the 15th, is the earliest anyone can see me. But that seems like an eternity with these attacks. I've vowed to go to the ER, a much bigger/prestigious ER mind you, if it happens again tonight. This is the pits :(