Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Wrong With Me?

I am 4 months post op and have lost 60 lbs. But I got on the scale this morning and I have gained. Granted it was only 5lbs but still it was a gain. To be honest I thought I would be down more than 60 lbs by now. I haven't been as strict as I should be this last month...so many bad things happened and I went back to my old ways and turned to junk food. I feel like I have fallen off the wagon and I am struggling to get back on it.

Hi Brandy

So you fell off the wagon! That's okay, chalk it up for a learning experience. Do you have any junk food in the house? if so, throw it in the trash now! You don't need that stuff, it has no nutritional value. This is a time where you can look at what was your triggers to eating the wrong choice of food. Maybe seeing a therapist would be a great start to learn some coping skills to address the triggers that drove you to eating junk food.

This is a great time to commit yourself to LilMissDiva's "The Basic Bootcamp" program. This is going back to basics and getting your craving for sugar out of your system. I am so addicted to sugar and if I have just a tiny bit, I crave it. So I have to stay away from it. There's also the 5 day pouch test you can google.

This is not the end of the world, but it is time to forgive yourself and get back on track. You can do this. If you have any questions, please feel free to google me. :)

I agree with Dorrie 100%. We ALL have times when we slip up for whatever reason. And figuring out the root cause of our "head hunger" is important.

From a practical, do-it-now perspective, you can absolutely clear your fridge and cupboards of food you find "calls" you. I keep healthy food around--if I'm not hungry enough to eat the apple, I'm not really hungry. Just don't even bring it into the house if it's going to be a trigger food.

You might also find journaling helpful. I know a lot of successful people who, upon eating, will jot down their feelings, mood, what's going on--this helps them figure out if they're eating at times of stress, emotional upset, anger, boredom, loneliness, etc. Saw a post yesterday somewhere talking about the HALT diet--we eat because we're hungry, angry, lonely, or tired--if it's anything but hungry, it's head or emotional hunger, which will only be temporarily sidelined by eating.

HUGS to you--I know it seems really difficult now, but you've got a fabulous tool and a lot of support here. I am absolutely certain you are strong enough, smart enough, and WORTH the effort to get to the bottom of the issue and get it solved.

I understand what you're going through. I've lost near 70 pounds but it's taken me close to 7 months to do it and my weight bounces around,,drives me crazy. You had a set back, it happens..get back up :) I agree with dorrie, get rid of the junk food. It's only there tempting you. You know you shouldn't have it, you know you don't want or need it so wants the point in having it around? I bet once you get back on track it will be no time you get those 5 pounds off and then some. I've found when I start something like a journal, it really helps. I had a spell where I wasn't tracking and I got thrown off course, it set me into a stall and I started getting really discouraged..so I went back to myfitnesspal.com and it's really keeping me focused. I'm surprised but it's working. It really makes you aware of what you are eating and how often you excercise..it even keeps track of how many fluids you're taking in. If you don't use it, I highly recommend it. Or at least just writing it down. Ease back into it and you'll get there before you know it. Coming here and posting is a first step.

I agree with Dorrie 100%. We ALL have times when we slip up for whatever reason. And figuring out the root cause of our "head hunger" is important.

From a practical, do-it-now perspective, you can absolutely clear your fridge and cupboards of food you find "calls" you. I keep healthy food around--if I'm not hungry enough to eat the apple, I'm not really hungry. Just don't even bring it into the house if it's going to be a trigger food.

You might also find journaling helpful. I know a lot of successful people who, upon eating, will jot down their feelings, mood, what's going on--this helps them figure out if they're eating at times of stress, emotional upset, anger, boredom, loneliness, etc. Saw a post yesterday somewhere talking about the HALT diet--we eat because we're hungry, angry, lonely, or tired--if it's anything but hungry, it's head or emotional hunger, which will only be temporarily sidelined by eating.

HUGS to you--I know it seems really difficult now, but you've got a fabulous tool and a lot of support here. I am absolutely certain you are strong enough, smart enough, and WORTH the effort to get to the bottom of the issue and get it solved.

We gave similar advice,,I think we were posting at the same time.lol

You can be free of stress over food if you do not dwell on what you are doing wrong, but what needs to be done right, FIRST! First you must have Water, and second, you must have Protein, If you can drink your water, and drink your protein,(I mix mine with water by adding it to my 16 oz water bottles, throw away.)...If you can get those things in, and eat some fresh vegitable or fruit or both, then if you have any room in your belly, then try to eat some food with no nutritional value. But I would try to make at least one healty fruit vegitable smothie or juice drink a day before adding the chips. Make Soup and keep a pot of it at all times so you have go to food that satisfies. Just me!

Miss Brandy, are you exercising?? You MUST MUST MUST if you are not. This is not a negotiable aspect of your new life. It helps speed up the fat burning process a lot. Especially if you have metabolic issues- the exercise will help bust through all that.

It's ok to fall off the wagon, just don't do it all the time, or for long periods. I had a package of DD's "fruit snacks" a few mins ago. More carbs than I needed? Yeah - at about 20g I'd say so! But it was also a craving I was having and I'm not a fan of trying to "ignore" cravings. I indulge them in moderation, as long as they're reasonable. And I ate my egg, turkey bacon, strawberries, and almonds first. And I will be carb wary the rest of the day.

Just MHO - I think that's a more stable way of going at it. It's moderation. I'm learning to have things I enjoy, as long as I'm willing to make adjustments to still stay on track and within my "actively losing" phase. That's what just about every "healthy" person I know does.

"I thought I'd be down more" is a dangerous pitfall. Trust me - it's a daily battle not to get there myself. With my band I sloughed off weight. This time around, that's not the case. I "thought" I'd be around 250 by July 4th, yet here I am at 270 a couple weeks past.

I just got back from vacation in Florida and I have gained 10 lbs. I know that it is mostly Fluid - 2 days driving down & 2 days driving back isn't good plus I sprained my ankle (of course!) and it is hippo-like. That being said... it isn't ALL Fluid 'cause I was NOT eating well most of the time. Anyhow, I'm not freaking out about it - vacation is over and I am back on my regimen so I'll be losing weight again soon.

My point is : yes, even with just 15% of a normal stomach I can still gain weight... quickly !

I'm with Dooter, we must exercise to lose and manitain weight!!!!!

I know..I have to get back to excercising...I have gotten out of all the habits that I had established. Thanks everyone. Hearing all of this is just what I needed. Im back at it already...my friend has challenged me to drink 120 ounces of Water today...I may not make it...but I am CERTAINLY going to try my hardest. I have already started logging everything that I eat on MFP. I am determined to make my own personal goal!

OMG, finally I found poeple who are going thru the same thing... I loved the quote that Saptters3 made..."even with just a 15% stomach, I still can gain weight"!!!!! I thought that was impossible. My surgery was on May 2nd... 253 lbs... today I weighed 223 lbs. The first month I lost 22 lbs... but how can anyone NOT lose that or more if you're gonna be in liquids and soft foods for 30 days, right? Then I started thinking, let me try this, let me try that... I'm not eating as much as I ate before so this could not harm me... WRONG! I've ONLY lost 30 lbs in 2.5 months! and I feel like I will not lose anymore weight ever!

I totally hear your frustration and can relate. I haven't had surgery, but I am seriously considering it. I am definitely an emotional eater, and my whole life have used food to "balance" most of my emotions. That's why I'm thinking hard about having the surgery. I want to have a handle on my eating issues and have some coping mechanisms in place. My sister, who is addicted to 12-step programs, is encouraging me to go to some Overeaters Anonymous meetings before I have the surgery. And as hard as it is to admit it, I think this might be a good idea. I mean, if the sleeve is a tool, as everyone refers to it here, than so can be considered OA, right? OA doesn't dictate a particular "diet" or method to lose weight, just supposedly help with understanding the triggers, habits and mind set.

Just putting it out there for your consideration. If emotional eating is an issue, I guess it would be wise to get to the bottom of it.

I'm going to go to a meeting tonight. I am not thrilled about it, but the last thing I want to do is have the surgery and then be bereft and miserable afterwards about missing my best friend and greatest love - namely overindulgence in food.< /p>

Hetera, I saw a counselor for a few months before making the decision to have surgery. I got my head straight, and that really helped me see that I wanted/needed my outside to match my inside! I think anything that someone can do to arrive at a healthy relationship with food is a positive. Best wishes!! Your new best friend and greatest love is going to be yourself.... any steps to being the best you (and that definitely includes physical health) are good steps.

I know..I have to get back to excercising...I have gotten out of all the habits that I had established. Thanks everyone. Hearing all of this is just what I needed. Im back at it already...my friend has challenged me to drink 120 ounces of Water today...I may not make it...but I am CERTAINLY going to try my hardest. I have already started logging everything that I eat on MFP. I am determined to make my own personal goal!

You are started and headed back in the right direction. :) I just want to point out one thing... instead of saying you will "try" commit to fullfilling that challenge. Say you "WILL" DO IT! Take care and always keep fighting.