Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What A Croc: Croc Hunter Killed!!

Water on the Great Barrier Reef.

The 44-year-old TV personality may have died instantly when struck by the stingray while filming a sequence for his eight-year-old daughter Bindi's new TV series, friends believe.

"You think about all the documentaries we've made and all the dangerous situations that we have been in, you always think `is this it, is this a day that maybe his demise?'," said his friend and manager John Stainton.

"(But) nothing would ever scare Steve or would worry him. He didn't have a fear of death at all."

Mr Irwin made his international reputation wrestling crocodiles and snakes.

But the flamboyant naturalist's final confrontation with a wild animal occurred at Batt Reef off Port Douglas on Monday morning, where he had been filming a new documentary, "Ocean's Deadliest".

Taking time off from the main project, Mr Irwin was swimming in shallow water, snorkelling as his cameraman filmed large bull rays.

"He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray's barb went up and went into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Mr Irwin's friend and manager John Stainton.

"It's likely that he possibly died instantly when the barb hit him, and I don't think that he ... felt any pain.

"He died doing what he loved best."

It is sad and I feel for his family.

Personally, I didn't like Mr. Irwin's TV shows. I felt his flippant way of dealing with Crocodiles was dangerous for the average person to see. He was an expert, but the chances he took might lead others to take chances that might be harmful to themselves. And I was disgusted when he had his daughter around the reptiles in what I considered to be less than normal fatherly situations.

I am sad for his family. I think he died doing something he loved, and it is irrelevant our opinion of his profession. May he rest in peace, and God's comfort to his family.

My family and my baby girl all loved him. He worked closely with The Wiggles, who Madilyn adores and we are all very saddened by this tragedy. I feel for Teri, Bindi and little Bob. They seemed like caring, fun loving people. I guess the Ocean was a bit out of him element.

He was an expert, and always had disclaimers. "Danger, Danger, Danger" was one of his favorite things to say. On my daughters Wiggly Safari DVD he does a song called "Look but don't touch". I think he was careful when it came to regarding the public. But you are intitled to your opinion, TOM.

I also have never seen his daughter Bindi Sue around the crocs, but a year or so ago he did have his infant son Bob in his arms while he fed them, which caused a big uproar. Still, I feel he brought alot of learning and education in a fun way to the kids, and I learned a little along the way, too. What a loss.

God Speed, Steve!

He was an expert, and always had disclaimers. "Danger, Danger, Danger" was one of his favorite things to say. On my daughters Wiggly Safari DVD he does a song called "Look but don't touch". I think he was careful when it came to regarding the public. But you are intitled to your opinion, TOM.
Those disclaimers may be there for insurance purposes. But people tend to ignore them. In Florida, many 'gator attacks are attributed to people feeding the prehistoric reptiles causing a loss of fear by 'gators towards the larger humans. I will not blame Mr. Irwin for the bad things that (some of) his viewers might do, but I do think his style was bad for many of us. I also respect your opinion, though we differ.
I also have never seen his daughter Bindi Sue around the crocs, but a year or so ago he did have his infant son Bob in his arms while he fed them, which caused a big uproar. Still, I feel he brought alot of learning and education in a fun way to the kids, and I learned a little along the way, too. What a loss.

God Speed, Steve!

I stand corrected. I thought it was his daughter. If I was to edit my opening post, I would edit it to say, "And I was disgusted when he had his infant (or young child) around the reptiles in what I considered to be less than normal fatherly situation." I, however will not edit the post. An edit would make this and your post seem non-sensible.

Brooklyn,

Now you are being the argumentative one, much like your mother was being. This thread is about the sad death of a well-known celebrity who was also a husband and father to a young family. I feel your posting your argument about something that has nothing to do with this thread was very inappropriate and uncalled for.

I simply am questioning a thread designated to fighting, ranting, and raving. If you don't mind I would appreciate you keeping my mom out of this. This was my statement and my statement alone. I simply want to know why this portion of a lap banding forum exists and for what reason. It is pretty apparent it is not for the reason intended.

Sorry if you were offended, but you did make your way to this thread didn't you Susan?

I'm merely questioning why this portion of the forum exists if the subject here is lap banding? I simply want an answer. It encourages people to come here to fight, rant and rave. It seems strange to me that any forum would encourage that, and then protest so loudly when it happens.

Brooklynn: give it a rest already. We are all so tired of this and yet it continues....now, you even find fit to invade a thread for your own self serviant, self absorbed issue!

Is this, or is it not a thread to discuss the passing of Steve Irwin?.....what part of this thread title did you not understand?

So, we couldn't even come to this thread without having to re-visit this same old crap.

Carol

The thread says ranting and raving. I simply let my feelings be known. There sure are a lot of people attracted to this part of the forum if they don't enjoy drama...point made.

My post was not self-serving in any way, but merely questioning the choice of subject matter on here,and that is politics and religion. They are topics that should never be involved in a forum because they cause nothing but problems.

My apologies for letting my feelings be known. I think I now realize how my mom felt on here. Women can be cruel for sure and the pack theory is ever so correct.

This kind of stuff being allowed on a forum (rants and raves) is disgusting to say the least. It is obvious there is little to be learned about lap banding on here and it is all about creating drama and ill will.

Back to my own forum where things are running smoothly and these categories are not allowed.

good luck to you all.

Crikey folks! Steve Irwin had a great mission of conservation and I don't think many really question his love for his wife...his children and definitely not for animals and their welfare! He was a charismatic guy that brought a lot of attention to his cause by being a bit whacky... WTG Steve!!! May he rest in peace and may his family find peace and strength during this very difficult time.

Brooklyn...this is a thread to let your feelings be known about the passing of Steve Irwin.....start another thread for yourself on the issue you want to rant about. We'd appreciate that. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Carol

What a freak accident! I agree with T-O-M I did think bringing his child around the croc was a bit irresponsible but I still feel bad about his death.

I'm going back to my horseracing forum where the subject is horses and nothing else. I don't have to deal with issues not related to horse racing. I don't need the drama here, and I don't intend to start a thread with anything in it, but thanks so much for your advice.

I have read so much about obese people feeling they are picked on. I wonder why...with the attitututes I've seen on here you are not picked on for being obese. You are some of the meanest people I've ever encountered, and I'm not sure it has a thing to do with being obese. I don't feel sorry for any of you if you are treated badly. You surely have treated me badly, so why would I look to any of you for help.

Fat must mean you are also a miserable person from what I've seen. I won't be polluted by it.