Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice Im 21 Yrs Old And Im 3 Weeks Post-Op And Im Getting Tired That I Can't Have At Least One Bite Of Foods I Love.

I think it is important to remember that written text carries no inflection - whatever our reaction is tends to be more about ourselves than the writer...I really don't think that Benjamin means harm - he is one of the most positive folks around and always has good advice. shake it off, no one is out to get you.

I think most of us struggle with head hunger after surgery - I know my head and my mouth certainly can get me in to trouble, as they always have - so I have to work the tool and follow Dr's and nutritionists recommendations to be sure that I am doing things right - yes it sucks. But hopefully it will get easier with more experience. It's like it was when I quit smoking after 28 years - that craving is like a needle skipping on a record it was so strong, then it eventually begins to subside. I think you should prepare and do your best to take care of yourself during these family events that center on food - make a healthy choice and get those 5 best bites youv'e ever had :)

thank goodness for a board like this where we can share our feelings, no matter what they are.

chimera...I liked the analogy of trying to quit cigarettes...it is soooo hard, and imagine when you are at a party with people smoking, the new non-smoker may feel like they are going crazy with their cravings...

Most of us have had a problem with over eating and that is why we have had the surgery, and hopefully we can find a way to adjust as we move forward. I have found that I can use recipes I have seen here and there to help me get close to the tastes that I miss so much. I know I can't eat very much, my restriction is strong, and at times I can only eat a few bites, but I want those bites to be delicious nonetheless.

It takes time to get it right....the cravings will come and go...but Karen...you will find a way to satisfy your cravings in new ways as you move forward and begin to eat regular foods in small portions.

chimera...I liked the analogy of trying to quit cigarettes...it is soooo hard, and imagine when you are at a party with people smoking, the new non-smoker may feel like they are going crazy with their cravings...

Most of us have had a problem with over eating and that is why we have had the surgery, and hopefully we can find a way to adjust as we move forward. I have found that I can use recipes I have seen here and there to help me get close to the tastes that I miss so much. I know I can't eat very much, my restriction is strong, and at times I can only eat a few bites, but I want those bites to be delicious nonetheless.

It takes time to get it right....the cravings will come and go...but Karen...you will find a way to satisfy your cravings in new ways as you move forward and begin to eat regular foods in small portions.

You know I appreciate you are my best buddy on here <3

I am going to Trader Joe's after work to get some good healthy food. They have teriyaki chicken in the frozen foods that is only 150 calories a serving and it tastes so good, and some brown rice, perhaps I will only have 2 tablespoons, but it is a whole grain carb not empty carbs. I will also be looking for other tasty frozen and fresh Entrees that might work well for us sleevers!!

My friend was visiting for 2 weeks and I didn't lose weight while she was here, so now I have to get back to being really strict and get this ball rolling again!!

It's not that I don't understand you, and it's not that I am judging you, but you have all the classic symptoms of someone who isn't letting go of the past behaviors. I understand that this is a forum and that people say what they're thinking and trying to come to terms with. I'm not trying to make it sound as though I don't care - I'm just trying to be sure that you understand what you sound like. I wouldn't come here to post if all I was going to was pass judgement on other people.

But you completely ignored my questions instead of listening to what I said. I'm sorry if you took it personally, I just don't want people to think that the VSG is some magic thing that makes everything better - it takes work and understanding to make it do what it was designed to do.

First, I would like to say Karen2012 you are definitely not alone. There are tons of posts on here about the same exact thing. (Search "mourning food") I was sleeved on 6/11 and I can tell you that I went to three parties with tons of food during my pre-op diet and have been to 3 parties post-op. I have cried at almost every single one. Plus I live with 2 adults and 3 children who are allllwayyyysss eating! I am totally frustrated too! You have to remember that it's early, our stomach have to heal and our heads have to catch up! I too was able to have refried Beans, salsa, sauce and sour cream 3 weeks post op...eat up...but I do miss the tortilla chips myself...two and a half weeks and I can have them!!!!! I can't wait! It is getting easier day by day!

@Benjamin - I have a couple of things to say. First, you must remember that everyone has different relationships with food, and for that matter cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, etc. Some people get over addictions easier than others. Next, she is early out...don't you remember what it was like those first few weeks? Speaking as a woman who is 5 weeks out...I am still having a very difficult time "breaking up" with food. Perhaps gender even makes a difference? After all, men are from mars...

Good luck to you Karen2012. I am learning that it does get easier!

First, I would like to say Karen2012 you are definitely not alone. There are tons of posts on here about the same exact thing. (Search "mourning food") I was sleeved on 6/11 and I can tell you that I went to three parties with tons of food during my pre-op diet and have been to 3 parties post-op. I have cried at almost every single one. Plus I live with 2 adults and 3 children who are allllwayyyysss eating! I am totally frustrated too! You have to remember that it's early, our stomach have to heal and our heads have to catch up! I too was able to have refried Beans, salsa, sauce and sour cream 3 weeks post op...eat up...but I do miss the tortilla chips myself...two and a half weeks and I can have them!!!!! I can't wait! It is getting easier day by day!

@Benjamin - I have a couple of things to say. First, you must remember that everyone has different relationships with food, and for that matter cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, etc. Some people get over addictions easier than others. Next, she is early out...don't you remember what it was like those first few weeks? Speaking as a woman who is 5 weeks out...I am still having a very difficult time "breaking up" with food. Perhaps gender even makes a difference? After all, men are from mars...

Good luck to you Karen2012. I am learning that it does get easier!

All I gotta say is THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU, I feel better now that Im NOT alone and that their are people that really understands me <3 I agree with you!!

Super great advice on here. Whether that be empathy or constructive criticism.

It's hard to walk away from foods but you will be so proud of yourself when it becomes less of a struggle! You'll be fine, hun!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

@paulsgirl' date=' I'm sure that helped you get through that day. Just make sure you don't start doing that on a regular basis. I read somewhere here on the boards that it can actually become an eating disorder. Plus it triggers your stomach to start producing acid to digest the food it thinks it's about to get.

Just throwing it out there.[/quote']

Thanks for the info, never realized that it could become an issue...I like this forum for that reason, people who genuinely want to help others and can do it in the correct way...I haven't done that since then, but I have progressed to the soft food stage and am noticing that my stomach just isn't ready for dry foods yet. I'm looking for alternative food that are solid but moist. Someone said canned chicken with Mayonnaise so I'm gonna stock up on that,mdont really like mayonnaise a lot but defiled ham with mustard is one I'm gonna try too. I don't like seafood so tuna is out..I have been able to eat a small amount of ground beef with spaghetti sauce

Hey Karen, I am 5 weeks post-op and I to miss my food, especially Red Lobster chicken Alfredo, but you know what, I don't miss the 52 lbs that I've lost! Just remember, there is no food that tastes as good as being thin and healthy feels!

I can relate. The beginning is the worst. First you just had surgery and you are getting use to the smaller stomach. Second you have several food restrictions. Its a lot to take in especially when you are in a social atmosphere. I was frustrated myself as well. I bought so many Proteins and hated them all. No worries you will soon (3 months post op) start getting use to the smaller stomach, find a Protein you love (I love CLICK and BIG TRAIN FIT FRAPPE buy sample packets try them out) the swelling will start going down and you will be able to fit in a little bit more of food. I remember throwing up,heart palpitations (from sugar I ate ) feeling dizzy (from not drinking or eating enough). It was all trial and error for me. You will get the hang of it, for now it is hard and frustrating. Thats why we are here! Support :-) You will soon get to a point where you think you are eating a lot and people are like "yea right!" lol. I see you are in the LA area, who did your surgery? I live there too.

Omg I did too!! hahaha small world, He is handsome hahahaha just sayin