Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone do research comparing the two? Trying to make a final decision. Any input/opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

I looked into both. I "only" had 107 pounds to my goal, though, and felt the sleeve could get me there without the malabsorption. I wanted restriction without the dangers of malabsorption. In addition, I'm a military spouse and we've spent most of the last seven years overseas. Getting regular blood panels could be tricky, especially in remote locations like our current assignment. And having a surgery that requires me to have them could keep us trapped in the states, essentially limiting my husband's career.

For me, the added stresses and possible complications didn't seem worthwhile. However, if there is a more significant amount of weight to lose and access to high quality, regular medical care, I think the DS is a good option.

I see no reason not to do the sleeve, and if necessary, continue on with DS at a later date. The way a DSer and sleever eat is totally different, though. I know this isn't nice, but I've always kind of thought of the DS as the "lazy" way...how hypocritical is that? Check out ObesityHelp's board on DS. They eat all of the junk we avoid. I feel like it's not guaranteed, but that coming out on the other side of a sleeve leaves you with a more rounded, healthier relationship with food.

I'm biased and freely admit it. I didn't want a surgery where it would be perfectly okay to eat bacon cheeseburgers sans bun for the rest of my life. I wanted to be healthier while still eating like a regular person.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

~Cheri

I researched ALL of the surgeries as I personally believe everyone should so they are making an informed decision. Yes, the OH site is another good place to read and see what people's experiences are. It's a very large site simply because there are dedicated threads for ALL of the different WLS. There are more surgeries being done than just the sleeve, band and DS.... just that the others are either still experimental, modifications of the main three or just have not had the same type of success as the other three and so are not well known.

I also didn't want the complications of life long blood panels and such. Also, while the DS does tend to make it easier to choose less than healthy foods, it is also still a tool. I know a couple people who have actually regained weight on the DS surgery. It always amazes me when people have surgery and just assume they don't have any accountability afterwards.

Good luck with your research. I applaud you for doing it, many do not.

Thank you both. The more research and thought I put into it, I think the VSG is the way to go. I have about 125 to lose and I need to change my relationship with food. I have my first consult with the doctor 7/26. I can't wait :) I'm getting really excited about what my future holds!

Congrats to both of you and thanks again :)