Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mourning Food

20 pounds in 5 weeks is awesome... I don't thin anyone should feel bad about losing 4 pounds every week. CONGRATS!!!! In time you will be able to eat anything that you used to, just not every day and not in the same amounts. I try not to focus on how much I am eating and enjoy every bite that I do get. Personally I have found that everything that I enjoyed (that I have tried so far) pre-surgery tastes just as good post surgery I just can't eat as much.

Keep up the good work!!! Don't let food get you down, focus on the success you've had so far and know that one of these days you will eat your favorites again... Just in healthy portions.

I'm pre op and cleaning out my kitchen and going thru same thing. Going to go to counseling to help find substitutes for food. U r definately not alone! Just keep reminding myself its for my health, my family, myself, my life. The choice of not doing the surgery is harder to live with, but neither are easy or perfect. Good luck!

Isn't it funny that most folks (except those who've battled weight) don't understand that for many of us, food is an addiction. However, unlike alcoholics, druggies, gamblers, we can't just stay away from our addiction...therefore making it the toughest to fight. Not to mention that people brand you as lazy and weak (but any of the other addictions people now believe its a disease). I don't think anything can prepare anyone for this major loss. We've just got to stick together and lean on each other for support!

I guess I have been feeling depressed lately knowing that I will never just be able to sit down and enjoy a meal again. Eating isn't the same when you get full on 4oz of food. Does anyone else mourn food/eating? I am sad I will never have a calzone or a burrito again lol. I suppose my feelings are intensified by the fact that I am losing weight very slowly. It's been almost 5 weeks and I've only lost 20 lbs post op. I just miss food' date=' the foods I will never have again, and the act of having an actual meal as opposed to 4 bites of food. I feel like im being punished...but i guess i deserve it. I abused my old stomach and turned myself into a disgusting cow. I'd be ok with this punishment if I was losing. I'm only 5'3" so I am very round and it takes a while to feel/see weight loss. Am I alone with these feelings? Seems like everyone else is doing awesome.[/quote']

No, you are not alone.....let me tell ya...I've been mourning food since my surgery December 13, 2012. I've lost 65 lbs. I take it one day at a time and try not to freak out so I order my food like everyone else. I take a picture of my favorite dishes and eat my protien first and veggies. I talk a lot over food and i never ever finish my plate. I take it home and may heat and it some the next day. Most time I share with a friend the next day. A good day is when you eat your Protein Drink your liquids and then go out for lunch. I feel comfortable to order a child's portion and not finish it. It will get better.