Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do I start with??

I'm moving into solid foods in a couple of days. :clap2: What are good foods to start with in the beginning? I'm just craving some sushi, but I'm sure that should wait a while. LOL Are some foods better starting foods than others?

Thanks!!!

I would start with your favorites but please make it a point to cut up the food into small pieces and chew well. Since you don't have a fill, you shouldn't have problems. When I cut the food as I go (as opposed to cutting it all up before starting to eat), I notice the pieces are not as small and this has led to a piggyback.

Good luck and congratulations on your progress.

Fish is not a bad place to start, actually. I am a huge sushi fan....would suggest starting with stay away from the rolls and rice dishes. Perhaps try small bites of sashimi: tuna, salmon, eel, shrimp, yellow tail, scallops, crab. I also did well with tempura. After you try rice to see if it will work with your band, then slowly start back with the rolls. If you use the regular soy sauce, expect Water weight the next day - but it goes away quickly. Low sodium soy is great but not as flavorful...I like to mix the two - which helps a little.

What also worked for me: chicken fingers, thin fajita steak and chicken, chili, bean/queso nachos, low fat Peanut Butter on crackers, shrimp (grilled, boiled, etc), spinach salad + Protein, lettuce wraps, high Protein smoothie King, grilled chicken, skirt steak (thinly pounded & sliced), mixed nuts, Gen Soy bars, Balance Gold bars, rotisserie chicken, grilled salmon

Hope this might help! If you do not do well one day with a food - try it again later. In the beginning, I had a very difficult time with ground meat - not so much of an issue now.

Best of luck!!

Tiffany

Something important...it might be more important HOW you eat, than WHAT you eat. Very small bites, chew well. Go slow.

If it is Gummy when chewed, that might be something to be cautious about.

I liked oatmeal (but realize this is more mushie)...meatballs, chopped steak, chicken/tuna/egg/ham/ salad, omelettes.

I love Zone Perfect Fudge Graham bars, and have them when I need to eat something, but don't want to fuss over something else.

I have had no trouble at all with any kind of salad.

Good luck, just take it easy!

Hi,

I bought the book "Eating well after weight loss surgery" written by a woman who was lap banded...great recipes..and she gives all the stagof when to eat what. I highly recommend it!! Check it out on Amazon.com.< /p>

Oh and I would buy the Magic Bullet too...I just found out I can make chicken salad...yay!

Do you have a list of "no no" foods from your doc? Rice causes most people lots of problems.

Eating very small bites slowly is the best way to avoid pb's. My mini quisinart (cost less than $30) chops onions and other "scarry" foods very fine. I just bought it saves me so much time chopping onions, etc.