Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conversion's A-Comin'

I posted the novella/questions in the pre-op area, but after looking I see many familiar faces, so just wanted to say hi!

Fairyface from LBT. 5 years out, band broke for the 5th or 6th time in Feb, instead of yet another fix/new band I'm getting the sleeve. I now have insurance that covers it (I am 99% sure), and calling the nurse Monday to get an update. Hoping to get it done asap. No fear, no glory! Is that the saying?

6 bands have broke? Wow! What in the world do they think is causing that?

Only one actual replacement due to breaking, the rest were repairs, moving ports, reattaching tube, etc. I swore my son kicked my port loose while pregnant. Doc said not possible but i felt it ripping! But no, no answer. Allergen paid for the broken one.

Hi. I remember you from LBT. I was slim-n-tn (changed the name to *slim* before I stopped going over there). I hope all goes well and speedy for you to get your revision!

Hi Slim!

Well, talked to the nurse today. They want to take out the band, let my stomach heal 3 months, then do the sleeve. I didn't question it, if that's how they want to do it, they know best. I didn't see anyone else mentioning that in what I've glanced through so far. Anyone else go that route?

I asked if her they are doing the preauthorization together; so I don't get the go-ahead from insurance to remove band, then in 3 months have them deny the sleeve. She said the doctor is doing the letter to get authorization for the band out and sleeve put in at 90 days. She said it can take up to a month to get the go-ahead from insurance. Fingers crossed, I need this quickly. I'm ballooning up, I have no will power, and I'm in an endless cycle. I need him to staple my mouth shut for the 3 months! heh.

There are quite a few doctors that refuse to do the sleeve at the same time as the band removal. Some want the stomach to heal, like your doctor. My doctor did my surgeries at one time. He had told me that he would clean up whatever scar tissue that needed to be cleaned up to do my surgery. He DID however, tell me that there was still a chance for me to wake up with no band AND no sleeve. It was just going to depend on how extensive the damage done by the band. I hadn't had a slip or erosion. He had me unfill my band prior to surgery which also allowed more healing. As for the balooning, I feel your pain. I had my complete unfill 1 month before surgery, and I gained 10 pounds between the day I was unfilled and the day I started my 14 day pre-op diet. I think, no I KNOW I lost my mind when it came to eating. All of the things that the band had kept me from eating for 4 years, I ate them in those few weeks.

For the preauthorizationg, my doctor submitted them both at once. I had been told it would take a long time, but it really only took about a week from the time that they submitted to the time I had gotten confirmation that it was approved.

I am crossing fingers, toes, and eyes for a speedy approval. The time in between surgeries will fly!

I had to wait 12 mo. It was awful!

Best of luck on your journey. Sounds like the band was quite an ordeal for you. Had mine removed in June. It was eroded so no sleeve for me for 3-6 months. Doc says less risk of complication if I wait the 6 months so it won't be until December. Trying to hold my weight steady.....

Gah a whole YEAR? I don't think I would have been able to do that. I know what a year of no help does...

You already know this already by now, but I was required to wait 2 months in between. Actual wait was 7 months due to insurance silliness.

We need an "LBT Survivors" sub-forum. ;)

Hi! We are in very similar boats. Just found out my band has to come out first, then who-knows-how-long until I can get sleeved. I keep crying - I'm pathetic! I've already gained back soooo much weight. I am in day two of low carb - determined to lose a few or at least maintain until it's sleeve time.

Hang in there!

Well I am surprised to hear all these wait times. 3 months seems like eternity to me, but 5..7...12... I would be so discouraged. I am a squeaky wheel... I already called them 24 hours later when the insurance lady said the nurse would be calling me back.. I gave her all of Friday to call me, so I called her Monday morning. I then called back Monday to ask her to make sure to do the removal & sleeve approval at the same time, so I didn't get 3 months post band-removal and get denied. So, they said they would get that tweaked and doc was out of town all week and will be sending it on Monday. She said she'd call me to tell me when the form was sent, so I plan to call Monday afternoon just to check in! When I called Monday she was ready to schedule the removal, then realized I needed the pre-authorization.. As soon as that all goes OK I'm going to have both surgeries scheduled right away.

I have started scaring myself, my insurance is BCBS of Minnesota and I saw someone mention how to look up the coverage.. when I looked at the generic bariatric coverage it did list 6m diet and all the hoops. I asked 3 people at his office, very specifically, if I needed to do any of that stuff, and no one said I did, that all insurance told them was that I needed the pre-authorization. Now I'm nervous that all the hoops are going to be required and some how the doc office isn't putting it all together correctly. I know they're very aware of BCBC of Alabama (where we are) who has all those hoops, they have notices posted all over their walls--I guess because people complain so much--that it's BCBS policy, NOT theirs.

timetobefree, that's very inspirational! I wish I could get an ounce of that enthusiasm. I just feel like "I'm broken again, who cares.." As I have a smoothie for lunch :/

I was approved for band removal, denied the revision due to BMI not being high enough. Trying to figure out how to appeal it. Not sure where to start but I can't believe that's the answer.

I had 2.5 months between band removal and sleeve. Doctor would have done it in one procedure if i insisted, but i asked him what he recommended to minimize the risks of leaks etc and he thought 2 surgeries was a better option. I had the band for 10 years, it had slipped, I had massive scar tissue. In addition, it was "tight" even though it wasn't filled.

who knows if the wait makes a difference, but i know my surgeon does them in one procedure too, especially for "cash pay" patients since it adds so much to the cost to have separate procedures.

This worked out for me because I was insatiably and out of control hungry for those 2.5 months. I was a wreck and it made me realize and remove any doubt at all that i needed the sleeve! When people post about their "regrets" post op I can only think they didn't have that drive to eat 24/7 - I was just in misery. It has been wonderful to be free from the hunger demon and i have never once doubted the sleeve even through the un-fun recovery weeks.

LOL I too in similar predicament. I am having my band removed this year due to scar tissue causing overtightness of normal non-erosion, non-slipping. Went though a battery of testing as this is my second band. First band leaked and I had a lot of scar tissue then so I think everyones body is different besides the fact we have a foreign body around out stomach. I chose the band after tons of research and talking to three surgeons and asking a bizillion questions. The fact the what I do for a living is read numerous surgeries a day and code them for medical reimbursement I have been lucky enough to read all types bariatric surgeries I was able to form a comfortable decision on what I wanted done. Two surgeries later I am rethinking what will serve me in the long run with all the new techniques surgeons use for bypassing.

Due to the scar tissue it was recommended for my age and metabolism that i select the bypass instead of the sleeve. The sleeve is just like the band without the apparatus and if someone is having issues with scar tissue or pain in there upper stomach it likely they will have the same with the sleeve as so I am told. However I have a friend that was sleeved the same time as I was banded and she lost approx 60 lbs the first year and not a pound since. So I am understanding that each surgeon has a protocol for there banded patients and there issues. My guy says that each MD bypass differently to which I have noticed in my other family and friends weight losses and struggles. I am happy to have a conservative Surgeon in doing his bypass patients as not to over malaborb them...I am looking forward to my band to bypass sometime in Oct date still pending insurance. Good luck to all of you hope to stay in touch:-)