Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days After Surgery And Worried

So I had my surgery this past Monday, and besides gas and fatigue, nothing really feels different. Don't get me wrong the first 2 days were painful and uncomfortable and I stayed an extra day in the hospital but now that I'm home I find it really odd that I'm hungry. Really hungry. I am able to get down 32 ounces of Water already, even eaten puréed and super soft foods. I don't feel full, which has me worried and although I have chest pain that is kind of like I'm full, it quickly goes away. I just expected to not be able to eat, to feel dumping, to not feel hungry to be miserable haha. Just worried. Should I be?

That feeling in your chest IS the new full feeling. Hunger hangs around until you're on solid foods AND the ghrelin works it's way out of your system.

You should not be pushing your sleeve waiting for a reaction. Be very careful - it takes weeks to heal and months for the swelling to go down. You could cause serious damage to your newly sleeved stomach if you eat or drink too much.

I'd be thankful you aren't having a terrible recovery but be sensible about how you eat. Sip, don't gulp. Don't eat anything unless it was specifically okay'd by your surgeon. We do not want to see you on the complications board in a week!

Congrats on your new sleeve. Sounds like you had an easy time of surgery. Take it easy on your new stomach, you're giving me a heart attack over here.

~Cheri

Copied from an old thread:

"Symptoms can include rapid heart rate, dizziness, shortness of breath, fever, worsening abdominal pain, left chest or shoulder pain, abdominal distention, the appearance of illness and a general feeling that something is very wrong. If you are concerned, I would check with a doctor."

I also wonder if it isn't a little psychological - at the moment, you're probably so mentally focused on feeling full and you've risked so much for this change, it could be your 'lil ole brain wanting to play silly-buggers :) Try a little distraction if you're up to it and maybe have a chat about it to a close friend or family member who understands. If you like go "go it alone" perhaps you could just journal a little? Start with all of the thoughts you're having, and how it's making you feel. Then consider what is happening to your behaviour.

Once you've done that, go back to the thoughts and ask yourself if they are helping you or hurting you? How can you slightly change those thoughts so that the feelings are less intense (or if you're really good at this, eliminated) and if that is having a change in your behaviour.

An example might be:

Original Thought - If I don't have something to eat I am going to be sick.

Original feelings - worried, hungry, sick, frustrated, annoyed

Behaviour - to have something to eat or drink that perhaps I don't really need

Modified Thought - If I am feeling sick, maybe I need to move around and have a little to drink. If I am still hungry in half an hour or so, I can consider trying something light to eat.

Modified Feelings - still worried, but maybe a little less. Still probably feeling sick, frustrated and annoyed but again I would expect it to be a little less intense a feeling.

Modified behavioural options - I still might have something to eat, but it's something I've considered and given myself time to try something different

Maybe I will have a drink and see how I feel in half an hour

Go for a little walk or phone a friend/ watch TV/ read etc (distraction).

This may or may not work for you but it might just help analyse why this is happening to you if it's not a physiological thing. If you have a psychologist involved they will be able to help you with this (it's a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy approach).

I hope that this helps in some small way!

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your many successes and new adventures post-surgery!

Cheers, Melissa

I agree with CLK, you may be pushing your new sleeve. I had to be on liquids for two weeks after surgery. Sometimes, your tummy gurgling doesnt mean hunger it means it's there's to much acid in you stomach. I take Omeprazole and that helps alot. Next time you think your hungry, sip your Water and take your pill.

Good luck!

The first week, I would mistake thirst for hunger alot. When I would feel hungry, I'd get something to drink and I'd be satisfied. Alot of it was the medicine in my system. Some of the "hunger" I thought I had was head hunger and I just wanted something to chew on or in feeling of eating for comfort. I bought SF popcicles and that helped alot. You don't want to eat too soon. You stomach needs healing time and you don't want to risk something catching on a staple. Call your dr if the hunger continues and see what they suggest.

Thank you all for your help. It almost brings tears to my eyes how excited I am to have this forum and that it's as simple as an app on my cell phone. Going to accept this new life, just need a helping hand. Everyone enjoy their weekend.

I honestly thought I was the only one going through this. I got the sleeve July 9th, and the first few days were rough, I could barely even stomach the baby tylenol they were giving me in the hospital. After coming home on Wed, I ate Popsicle thinned out oatmeal with Protein Powder and pudding and that sort of stuff. Then Friday night I had a bite of my husbands sandwich and chewed it really well and took it down with a sip of Water and did not have any trouble at all. Today I have had some pudding but also some regular food that is chewed up very well and swallowed with a bit of water and have not had any trouble. I am a bit worried that the surgery did not work and I am going to not lose any weight from this. My doctor also put me on prevacid to help with any reflux and I was thinking that was supposed to help out with the hunger pains and stuff. I am going to call my Nutritionist on Monday and get an appointment to go in. Maybe I just need things to keep myself busy, but even if I am eating when I am bored I thought that the surgery was going to make me throw up if I ate something I shouldn't before I was allowed.

I went through all the pre-op classes and counseling and this is not at all what I was expecting.

Although every surgeon's post op is different one thing I think is consistent is being on those liquids the first 2 weeks. You've eaten part of a sandwich, oatmeal, etc really too much for your new stomach. As I've stated in a previous thread, compare your new stomach to a baby's stomach. At one week old you wouldn't give a baby a piece of sandwich or Cereal...you give him liquids.

Your surgery will help you loose the weight but it's a tool you will have to do your part. Get your Protein shakes in and sip your Water throughout the day. You can do this! You just need to get a regime going

I am 15 days out and could not imagine getting in the type of food you are eating much less the quantity!! I can barely get in 3 oz of food per meal and I struggle to get in 32 oz of Water on top of that.. it is sooo frustrating!! I got in 4 bites of baked fish last night and I was thrilled!! lol I would call your nutritionist and see if they have any ideas. I understand there is a mental thing to this as well however, I can't imagine my stomach even accepting that amount of food! Good luck on your journey and I hope you figure it out!!

I don't know if it's the fact that I'm shelling out over $10,000 on a surgery or the fact that I'd be scared I'd blow my sleeve up but their is no way I'd be eating food within the first two weeks. Hungry or not, I'd rather not have a leak. We can't expect these to be a cure all. People, PLEASE follow your Dr's orders!