Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre And Post Sleeve Differences?

Hey Guys,

I wanted to put this in here since I know that the guys and girls are different and hoping to get some "guy" related answers concerning these questions. Gals you are welcomed to chime is as well, didn't mean that to sound sexist. I promise!!

Anyway. With guys having different metabolisms, hormones, and what not, how much weight loss have you seen with your sleeve and have you experienced as many stalls as a lot of the women talk about?? If so, how long??? Now I know that everyone is different with factors of exercise, tolerances of carbs, etc so I am not looking to say this won't work or anything. I just want to hear REAL experience and REAL numbers.

Are you carb sensitive??

Lactose intolerant??

Can you do spicy foods still??

Do certain smells turn your stomach that didn't before??

Do any normal foods you ate previously not agree with you now??

Any other things you can't tolerate after the sleeve??

I may sound like I am rambling at this point but I am considering the sleeve still. Some of you may have seen me post questions already in the past few weeks so I am still researching and asking questions. I ask simply because of a few concerns with my diet and work etc. I am not lactose intolerant now and really don't wanna be ask dairy is a staple for me. I do well with the cheese, yogurt, and milk on a high Protein low carb diet now. I would hate to see that change as I am not a huge veggie fan. I would be slightly sensitive to carbs, meaning I can eat a sensible amount of good carbs and maintain or be at a slow loss. I don't do junk carbs at all as I start a slow gain. I am not a big junk food eater anyway so I don't really find that to be that difficult. I just like real food, a meat and potato kinda person. Don't really do that many "junk" sweets, I prefer the occasional good homemade stuff lol !!!

Anyway. I wanna hear what you guys that have a sleeve have to say. Still pondering on this sleeve thing guys.....

Ok.. a girl here but I want to answer some of your questions. Some of the questions I never even would have thought of pre-surgey. It soulds like you are trying to make the best decision for you! I as sleeved in April.

Lactose intolerant?? I never had a problem with lactose before surgery. About two weeks after surgery I became very lactose intolerant. I knew that this could happen but was totally surprise that it did to me. I changed my Protein shakes, switched to no lactose “milk”, and kept some lactase pills around just in case. My intolerance has since just disappeared, which seems to be the norm around here. For some people it takes just a few weeks…others a year… and unfortunately some it never goes away. It is also different for each person. Some can’t do milk but have no problems with cheese or yogurt.

Can you do spicy foods still?? Yeppers!

Do certain smells turn your stomach that didn't before?? Yes and of all things it is turkey meat. I can’t stand the way it smells when cooking. I never had a problem with it before.

Do any normal foods you ate previously not agree with you now?? I can eat anything…. but I feel uncomfortable when I eat anything like bread or tortillas so I avoid them for now.

Any other things you can't tolerate after the sleeve?? Not really. food is just food now. I eat it …sometimes I still enjoy it.. but it is just food. This is not something I could have understood before surgery.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks for the insight there.

I am looking at this from evey possible aspect I can. I never ever make an uninformed or rash decision.

Still looking over everything I can find!!

Thank you, Dave.

I think men lose more than women because of the different biological makeup. Women, by nature, are more prone to holding on to weight because of their child bearing capacity. Lactose intolerant? No. Spicy foods? Absolutely! Chili and salsa go down better than most things. I have trouble eating eggs and most meats, including hamburger. I think it is because of the density of these things. I can get them down, and still enjoy the taste, but I fill up very quickly when eating them and that sometimes lead to a feeling of overstuffed and mild pain for 15 minutes or so. . As for things I liked before, but don't like now, the only thing that fell into that category was a certain brand of fruit shakes that I could hardly stomach after surgery. I gave my oversupply away. For that reason, don't stock up more than a week or so supply before surgery because you may find out you don't like it after. I watch carbs closely, keeping in mind that some carbs are necessary especially if you exercise heavily. I hold to less than 70 carbs per day and burn about 430 calories in exercise (treadmill). I know if I overdue the carbs, I will not lose weight. This surgery was the best decision I ever made and I would do it again, despite the minor changes it has brought in my diet.

I am almost 9 weeks post op and 53 pounds down! I would not change my descion to have the sleeve done....

Let's talk food. I have learned that folks who don't have the sleeve do not understand some of the frustrations of us who do have it. There are quirks, but on my end, I think the results outweigh the quirks. I have a very, and I mean very hard time with soft breads, tortillas and rice. I can actually feel the simple sugars breaking down and causing gas. Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are my devil. I do not touch them at all since being sleeved. Learned my lesson eating them last weekend. My insides felt like an atomic bomb went off.

I had horrible acid reflux before surgery and lived on tums, rolaids and ranitidine. Since surgery, not one episode. Spicy food is iffy with me. Sometimes it makes me feel like it just burning its way thru, other times, going down is way better than the coming out.

I try to maximize Protein, and eat very little carbs. It's not easy, but I try to stay under 40-50g carbs daily. Again, carbs from fruits and some other foods I can tolerate. Cake, pie, anything "sweet", my body HATES! If I eat anything like that, even a bite, I sweat, my heart races and it doesn't stop until I lay down and take a quick nap or wrap a cold towel around my neck.

One thing I also learned, I get annoyed very quick at how others eat now. The smacking lips, finger licking, stuffing food down the throat with out tasting, drives me nuts. I have had to really slow down on going out to eat with others because the sounds and sights make me ill. Smells of food now make my stomach turn, in particular green beans! Fried food I also a big fat no no for me. It sits like a rock in my throat.

I was talking to my parents about all this last night. It seems like a pain in the butt for all this, but I am SO thankful because it's all foods I should it be eating anyways. I stick with a lot of veggies, fruits and grilled meats. I also do well with nuts/trail mix and Jerky. I also live off of pickles, peppadews, banana peppers and cucumbers.

One last thing...I used to love cheese, it makes me extremely ill now. I can still drink milk, so no lactose issues. Another thing that I found out...the textures of foods now can make or break me.

Guy here. I'm only a month and a half out of surgery. No problems with milk or any dairy products. No foods turn my Stomach (yet). My first 3 weeks I was ravenous about food. I thought I was going to be depressed because I couldn't eat certain things. I've learned now that I can eat well and still feel great. Cravings have gone away. What is cool for me is that my wife had the procedure done at the same time and I can see the difference in reactions we have to foods. I think women have a tougher time with foods honestly. There are things that don't agree with my wife that I have no problems with at all. I'm loving this decision more and more everyday!

43 yr old sleeved 4/24, down 67 lbs today. Never a milk drinker, gave up shakes because of nausea. Tried a few sweets and icing made me nauseous right away. Sugar taste in mouth not appealing. Bell peppers don't sit well. Have not had the nerve to try lettuce yet. Last few weeks increased carbs, doing a little bread but in tiny amounts and only once or twice a week. Otherwise no other food issues