Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Hospital Just Got Sleeved And Have Question

Just got this morning. When did u start passing gas. And was the gas up in your chest I've never had heartburn so don't know if it's that or gas in my chest??

Yes gas in upper chest and shoulder. Mine lasted almost a week.

They say walking really helps with the gas from surgery. You might try moving for awhile to see if it helps you.

Not everyone has gas. I wasn't bothered by any gas, I slept in an upright position and walked. No problems here. :) Hope you don't get any either.

I burped a lot immediately, and still do 10 days post-surgery. Didn't actually pass gass until 3 or 4 days later. I feel just fine now. I was walking the first night...I don't know if that helped me or not. Good luck!

If I felt tightness in my chest, I got up and walked and that helped, a lot. I was passing gas the same day. The passing gas lasted about a week. And I refused to hold it in. If I was around someone (and it was all family) I told them they had to excuse me, but no way was I ending up back in the hospital for holding in gas.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Let's make sure we're all on the same page here. First off, when they perform your surgery, they pump a lot of CO2 into your chest cavity to inflate it a bit to give them working room. After they are done, they try to squeeze out as much as they can, but there is no way they can get it all. As you are mostly in an upright position, the remaining gas begins to collect inside your chest cavity and move up into your shoulders. This is the cause of that discomfort. Has nothing to do with belching or tooting. This gas will absorb into your skin and be removed by your bloodstream. Walking increases bloodflow, so it increases the removal of said gas.

Intestinal gas is always benefited by walking as jumbling around your intestines helps move it along. Being your newly sleeved stomach is also a little out of alignment, it takes some time and eating to get everything worked out. Trapped air will escape, too, even if you haven't had anything to eat/drink.

I have a pretty high pain threshhold, but the surgery didnt have a thing on the gas! Whewee. Oweee! That hurt a lot, as compared to no hurtie. It lasted all that and then some, just long enough to let me get out and take some shopping trips the last 2 days in the "mansion".

If I felt tightness in my chest, I got up and walked and that helped, a lot. I was passing gas the same day. The passing gas lasted about a week. And I refused to hold it in. If I was around someone (and it was all family) I told them they had to excuse me, but no way was I ending up back in the hospital for holding in gas.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Every time some one blew up or belched, someone would say, "Show Off"! I noticed the only two who blew up, were the only two guys in our group, and you know how a lot of guys have termenal blow up diesease.

It took me a few days for that gas pressure to be released. Walking helped ALOT. Most of that is from the surgery itself and the pressurized gas used to inflate your abdomen while the procedure takes place.

It has a weird way of giving you pain where you would least expect it after surgery, but it does dissapate (the old fashioned way - heh heh)!!

Yep. When ever I started to feel bad, or pressure I made myself get up out of bed and walk. I always felt better for it.

The only thing I had complaints about this week (just sleeved Monday) is the hiccups. They hurt and quite frankly wish the gas would come out the other end. I believe it would be far less painful. I passed gas like the next morning after the surgery. I am eating my sugar free pudding, Jello, and yogurts and hard to get all the Water and Protein in. Only my first day on solid liquids though so some tweeking will be in order for the rest of my menu for the next 3 weeks. Over all I am feeling great. I was so worried and it was for nothing. No pain at all. Good luck everyone.

i am having the same pains.. but moving around and taking gas-x strips have helped a lot! Hope it helps!

I can't find gas x strips!!!! Where didu get yours?

I can't find gas x strips!!!! Where didu get yours?

Walmart