Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 days out and 3 pounds is very good. I had surgery June 4th, I weighed 229. On June 9, I was 235. Most people gain weight right after surgery due to swelling, the IV's, gas, etc. Follow your plan, drink your Water, take your Vitamins, and follow the plan, low carbs, high Protein and you will lose.

Congrats on being on this side, 3 pounds is nothing to sneeze at 9 days after surgery, you probably gained 5-6 after surgery.

According to my surgeon, the typical size "bougie" used ranges between 32 and 40 fr. He typicallys uses a 36 fr bougie....that's what he used on me. (As to height...I'm 5'11"...for whatever that's worth.) :)

Well thanks for the update...I am glad to know what happened. I almost got worried. Thanks again!

Lissa cracked me up! And I'm 5'5" and have a 36fr bougie.

I was picking up Vitamins today at the Dr's office and the nurse coordinator told me that a 40 fb was used for me - I am 5'3. She told me that they feel that there are far fewer complications with the larger sizes - but for us short folks it makes total sense that since we might need a different size from taller folks.

A 40 bougie is the size of a sharpie pen and is a fairly commonly used size. I believe that is the only size Kaiser uses. You and I were pretty much at the same place when we had surgery I was 208 BMI 38.9 on the day of surgery. I too got a 40 fr and today almost two year later I bounce between 138-145.

A 40 bougie is the size of a sharpie pen and is a fairly commonly used size. I believe that is the only size Kaiser uses. You and I were pretty much at the same place when we had surgery I was 208 BMI 38.9 on the day of surgery. I too got a 40 fr and today almost two year later I bounce between 138-145.

Thanks for the update. I would love to be that range. I was shooting for 130 just to be on the safe side but I will gladly take 138-145... :P

I averaged 10 lbs a month for the first 7 months then it slowed down to where if I want to lose more I have to work at it. Mind working at it now is nothing like working at it before the sleeve. I am 5'2" and it is weird when I was younger early 20s 130 was *fat* to me and yet today I fell skinny at 140!

I think a 40 FR bougie is going to be okay for keeping the weight off :-). I think the studies where I saw the bougie affected long term weight loss was like a 48FR. It was one of Dr. Cirangle's studies. Since you are short, I agree with Lissa that your natural tummy is going to be smaller than someone who is 5'10". I am only 5'4" so I guess my tummy was a little smaller too but who knows? I got a 32FR but that is the standard for my doc. I really don't think a 40 is big enough to make a difference in all honesty. And some of the surgeons do an "oversew" technique that makes your tummy even smaller so you may have an even smaller tummy than you think :-)

No matter what the case, I think you can do it! Mind over matter! Fill your tummy up with Protein and you should be all good! I wish you the best in your sleeve journey! We are all in this together and want it to work!