Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Is Everyone So Happy?

Doctor's appt. went well. He won't close up my hole, he said a suture popped off and that he wants it to close on its own...clean it with peroxide daily. For the record he used a 32 bougie. I was given medicine for the acid reflux, nausea and diarrea. All of which he says are common and should go away soon. He also said (which I have already learned from this site) that "buyers remorse" is common too, and that it takes time to get your head straight to adjust to such a dramatic change, and of course my hormones are all outta wack!! I love this doctor...he is so kind and caring, and never rushes...why can't they all be this way? Anyway, he also said that I can swim (covering the hole with gauze and waterproof stuff) and I can drink alcohol - woot woot - it's gonna be a great weekend!! Thanks again guys for all your support. This will be a rough journey, but everyday it will get better!

I haven't read the other responses, but....here is mine. I'd like to commend you on your honestly. My response back to you is also honest so don't be offended with what I say. I say it with complete love and respect and a little kick in the pants!

I had a hard time with Vitamins also. Find what works for you. I found adult Gummy multi-vitamins at Target. They are like eating a gummy bear. I couldn't keep any other Vitamins down, but these I can and kinda enjoy them.

It will get better. First of all, the power of positive thinking is POWERFUL! I mean really think and approach everything in a positive manner.

Meditate, do some deep breathing. Find your inner strength. It is there! Everyone has it, you just have to bring it out and nurture it.

Mix chocolate Protein powder with some chocolate soy milk or regular chocolate milk and add some banana or instant coffee or Peanut Butter. Put it in a blender and make a smoothy. What?, you don't like milk shakes or smoothies? If it takes making a shake or smoothy to get your Protein in, DO IT! Or mix vanilla Protein Powder with strawberries, bananas, chocolate, Peanut Butter, mangos, pineapple, whatever works for you. No excuses!

You made the decision to get the surgery, then make the best of it, 'cause there is no going back! Your body will change, your tolerance and taste will change, evolve with your new stomach.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself. You have the power. So what if your family is eating and continues to eat after you are done...so freaking what!? ENJOY YOUR FAMILY/FRIENDS - you don't have to enjoy your family while feeding your face. Socialize and talk during this time rather than eating. Get out and take a walk. Life doesn't have to evolve around food. If you choose to be unhappy because you can't gorge yourself anymore...that is your choice. You had the surgery because you could not control your weight and continue on the path you were on. Well you now have the tool - the sleeve - to take control of your weight and your life. Don't let it be yet another excuse to bring you down.

Eat food that is clean - don't eat sugar or white flour or processed foods. Eat a clean healthy plant based diet! It will make you feel awesome and it will give you strength. Processed food, sugar and white flour are things the body does not need at all.

Watch these movies: Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and Forks Over Knives. You will learn something!

Snap out of it. Be happy! Make yourself be happy. If you can't be happy and you are clinically depressed GET HELP! Contact your doctor, see a clinician, see a psychiatrist/psycologist, get help for the depression. Whatever it is you need, search it out. Asking for help is a sign of intelligence and strength and is commendable.

Get off your butt and exercise...get the endorphins pumping. FIND SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU JOYFUL - it becomes contagious.

Pray

Meditate

Do Yoga

Volunteer and help out others in need.

Give of yourself.

There are sooooo many options and good things you can do to contribute and help others. It will help you to feel good about yourself.

Do something proactive and positive.

One Love.

I have literally seen hundreds of people now that are sooooo happy that they have done this. They believe that the VSG is the best thing that has ever happened to them and they seem to be so happy. And to tell you the truth that is what helped me make the decision to do this in the first place. Everyone seemed so happy they did it...every single doctor I spoke to thought it was a great idea and the whole thing was posed as a truly positive experience. Oh sure I knew there might be some side effects' date=' but those were gonna be rare, and probably wouldn't happen to me cause I was actually pretty healthy before the surgery. Everyone I spoke to thought it was a great idea, and I was totally envisioning a skinny, healthy and happy me.

I am not happy! I am four weeks out and I have heartburn everyday and throw up almost every day. I absolutely hate the Protein shakes, and even the fact that I have to force myself to get in all this Protein everyday when I can barely eat! And if I don't I'm ggnna lose my hair :0( The Vitamins make me puke, and I have absolutely no energyI I don't have a problem with getting in my liquids though, because Water is the only thing I actually want. Frankly I would drink Water all day long and never eat again, if I didn't know it could kill me, lol...which is totally contrary to the fact that I get depressed and angry when I watch other people eat, knowing that I cannot even come close to what they are eating, and that I don't even enjoy food anymore. (Crying as I write) When I eat with my family, I force down 3 or 4 bites (that don't even taste good) and they still eat for 10 minutes...and in that time I run through a whole host of emotions and have even left the table crying a couple of times now. I have lost 34 pounds already, but I feel like, 'at what cost'. I feel sooooo unhealthy and unhappy, that I really wish I hadn't gotten this surgery done - but it's too late - I can't take it back - so how do I cope?

I just don't know what to do...I am miserable. Everyone keeps telling me that it will get better - but when? Am I alone in these regretful feelings I have? When did you guys feel 'normal' again? And how do you stay positive? Please help![/quote']

You know, this is what worries me about getting the surgery. I know that once it's done, it's done for good! But I also know that I'm never going to be able to lose the weight on my own. I thought about how I won't be able to eat like a "normal" person again if I go through with it. But the truth is... I don't need all this food. That's why I'm in the position that I'm in now. It's time for me to say goodbye to it once and for all and do what's best for me. :) whether it makes me sick or whatever.

I have literally seen hundreds of people now that are sooooo happy that they have done this. They believe that the VSG is the best thing that has ever happened to them and they seem to be so happy. And to tell you the truth that is what helped me make the decision to do this in the first place. Everyone seemed so happy they did it...every single doctor I spoke to thought it was a great idea and the whole thing was posed as a truly positive experience. Oh sure I knew there might be some side effects' date=' but those were gonna be rare, and probably wouldn't happen to me cause I was actually pretty healthy before the surgery. Everyone I spoke to thought it was a great idea, and I was totally envisioning a skinny, healthy and happy me.

I am not happy! I am four weeks out and I have heartburn everyday and throw up almost every day. I absolutely hate the Protein shakes, and even the fact that I have to force myself to get in all this Protein everyday when I can barely eat! And if I don't I'm ggnna lose my hair :0( The Vitamins make me puke, and I have absolutely no energyI I don't have a problem with getting in my liquids though, because Water is the only thing I actually want. Frankly I would drink Water all day long and never eat again, if I didn't know it could kill me, lol...which is totally contrary to the fact that I get depressed and angry when I watch other people eat, knowing that I cannot even come close to what they are eating, and that I don't even enjoy food anymore. (Crying as I write) When I eat with my family, I force down 3 or 4 bites (that don't even taste good) and they still eat for 10 minutes...and in that time I run through a whole host of emotions and have even left the table crying a couple of times now. I have lost 34 pounds already, but I feel like, 'at what cost'. I feel sooooo unhealthy and unhappy, that I really wish I hadn't gotten this surgery done - but it's too late - I can't take it back - so how do I cope?

I just don't know what to do...I am miserable. Everyone keeps telling me that it will get better - but when? Am I alone in these regretful feelings I have? When did you guys feel 'normal' again? And how do you stay positive? Please help![/quote']

When I started to read your post, my first thought was I bet she is at the beginning of her WL journey. I was miserable for 2 months. Not because of pain, reflux, etc., but because I couldn't eat normal food, I couldn't get my liquids in and threw up my Vitamins. I had buyers remorse, thinking what the hell did I just do to myself.

When I could start eating normal foods (no mushies, no shakes) I started feeling soooo much better. I haven't had a shake in 2 months. I am 4 months post op and gloriously happy now, healthier, skinnier and more active. I achieve 72 oz of water a day and 60-90 grams of protein without shakes and take 2 One a Day chewable vitamins. Unfortunately, few people on this site talk about how depressing it is in the 1st few months. I cried a lot during that time, but I'm smiling now. You will get there too and soon you will be the voice of reason for someone else going through this exact same experience.

When I started to read your post, my first thought was I bet she is at the beginning of her WL journey. I was miserable for 2 months. Not because of pain, reflux, etc., but because I couldn't eat normal food, I couldn't get my liquids in and threw up my Vitamins. I had buyers remorse, thinking what the hell did I just do to myself.

When I could start eating normal foods (no mushies, no shakes) I started feeling soooo much better. I haven't had a shake in 2 months. I am 4 months post op and gloriously happy now, healthier, skinnier and more active. I achieve 72 oz of water a day and 60-90 grams of protein without shakes and take 2 One a Day chewable vitamins. Unfortunately, few people on this site talk about how depressing it is in the 1st few months. I cried a lot during that time, but I'm smiling now. You will get there too and soon you will be the voice of reason for someone else going through this exact same experience.

To the PP's that said they are scared they will never eat like a normal person again--- not sure about you guys, but darn sure I wasnt eating like a normal person before!! Post sleeve 6 months plus--- I think is probably more like normal ppl should and do eat. Small amounts of balanced diet.

Hello everyone, I had the gastric sleeve done 10 days ago. I have already gone through the periods of regret and wishing somehow I could turn time back and do away with the whole idea. I have had days that I am as sick as a dog, too. I have spent a lot of time on Google searching for anything hope that an alternative can be done to this. I have even looked into stomach transplant surgery. I hope I'm not discouraging anyone out there, but I personally am going through that regret stage. The good thing is that I can already see my weight coming off. I also think that my sleeve is a little bigger than they all say since I drink 2 Protein Shakes daily, and they are 11 ounces each; I can drink one with no problem in about 5 minutes. I rejoiced when I read that these damn sleeves do actually stretch over time. I hope mine stretches enough that I can someday go to a restaurant and order a regular (not large) meal again, or have a regular dinner with my family.... this is really the only thing that tortures me right now. I can deal with eating small meals on a daily basis, but to have an occasional dinner out with my friends, or family is priceless to me. Does anyone have any information regarding this matter?, or am I only doing wishful thinking. Thank you...

I have literally seen hundreds of people now that are sooooo happy that they have done this. They believe that the VSG is the best thing that has ever happened to them and they seem to be so happy. And to tell you the truth that is what helped me make the decision to do this in the first place. Everyone seemed so happy they did it...every single doctor I spoke to thought it was a great idea and the whole thing was posed as a truly positive experience. Oh sure I knew there might be some side effects, but those were gonna be rare, and probably wouldn't happen to me cause I was actually pretty healthy before the surgery. Everyone I spoke to thought it was a great idea, and I was totally envisioning a skinny, healthy and happy me. I am not happy! I am four weeks out and I have heartburn everyday and throw up almost every day. I absolutely hate the Protein shakes, and even the fact that I have to force myself to get in all this Protein everyday when I can barely eat! And if I don't I'm ggnna lose my hair :0( The Vitamins make me puke, and I have absolutely no energyI I don't have a problem with getting in my liquids though, because Water is the only thing I actually want. Frankly I would drink Water all day long and never eat again, if I didn't know it could kill me, lol...which is totally contrary to the fact that I get depressed and angry when I watch other people eat, knowing that I cannot even come close to what they are eating, and that I don't even enjoy food anymore. (Crying as I write) When I eat with my family, I force down 3 or 4 bites (that don't even taste good) and they still eat for 10 minutes...and in that time I run through a whole host of emotions and have even left the table crying a couple of times now. I have lost 34 pounds already, but I feel like, 'at what cost'. I feel sooooo unhealthy and unhappy, that I really wish I hadn't gotten this surgery done - but it's too late - I can't take it back - so how do I cope? I just don't know what to do...I am miserable. Everyone keeps telling me that it will get better - but when? Am I alone in these regretful feelings I have? When did you guys feel 'normal' again? And how do you stay positive? Please help!

hi IDidIt - I am really sorry that you are feeling so low. I can tell you that you are not alone. I remember after weeks of Protein Shakes (which I hated and haven't touched since) on the pre op and post op recovery, I finally had my first spoon of food - scrambled egg - and I could hardly swallow a teaspoon full! I remember freaking out thinking that this was the way the rest of life was going to be and I was going to starve to death!! Plus it just didn't taste good! I can reassure you that after two years, things do return to a new normal. Your taste will return to normal and you will be able to enjoy food again. The down side is that you won't be able to eat a lot at one time - but you will forget what that was like and enjoy eating small amounts regularly rather than huge feasts. It is completely normal to miss the way you used to eat - I still miss a huge plate of Pasta. If you can, get an appointment with a nutritionist or dietician that is familiar with clients who have had weight loss surgery - they will be able to provide you with some other options of getting protein other than protein shakes.From my experience, you might be experience nausea and sickness because you actually aren't eating enough. Try and consume small amounts of good but eat at least 5 times a day. Very few people escape Hair loss and it does grow back so please don't worry - it is only for about 3 months. Also make some enquiries about medication for your heartburn as that can be managed. I am at goal weight now - the up sides are great - no more fatty liver disease, no more elevated sugars, no more sore knees. I can shop anywhere for clothes, my feet are a size smaller and I can move! The down sides are I still have to take meds for heartburn/reflux, I have to take osmolax (miralax) everyday. The ups outweigh the downs. I hope all gets better for you as each day passes - good luck and keep looking forward!

I just realised how old your post was - you are probably well over your initial regrets and living a happy life - all the best - I hope this post has helped other people that are having doubts and regrets!

Edited by sueoco

I'm only 2 weeks out, so I know I'm "new".... and I reasearched the hell out of this surgery for nearly a year. Talked to 2 friends who had it done, and they too were all talking about how it was the best thing they ever did. I had a co-worker, who had major complications with his, and 3 months after he told me it was the best decision he made, despite those scary parts. So, with all that behind me, I put my fear away, told that nagging voice to shut up and had surgery. I had surgery because I'm 35 and is/was 113 pounds over weight with PCOS. I was told that I was walking down an very unhealthy road very quickly because of my PCOS. I was told that if I didn't lose weight, I would more than likely develop uterine cancer. I weighed how I felt about scary surgery and chemotherapy being a possibility. I went with the surgery. I totally still regret the surgery. I wish I had waited longer. But, I didn't. I'm focusing on my little victories as this process happens. I'm down 32 pounds. I just started the puree stage today. What I really want is a simple smoked turkey sandwich. I have confronted my food relationships. I was not really an abusive eater, I had a medical issue that caused my metabolism to stop functioning correctly. I'm just looking forward to a few months from now, when I can eat real food again, and maybe have some smoked turkey.

You will be able to eat a smoked turkey sandwich again - I am two years on the 18 July and can eat anything I want now - just small quantities - please don't feel you are never going to eat the things that you enjoy ever again as this is still very early days for you - good luck and take care

Just realised how old your post is - you are probably eating loads of turkey sandwiches by now!

Edited by sueoco

<p>Hello everyone, I had the gastric sleeve done 10 days ago. I have already gone through the periods of regret and wishing somehow I could turn time back and do away with the whole idea. I have had days that I am as sick as a dog, too. I have spent a lot of time on Google searching for anything hope that an alternative can be done to this. I have even looked into stomach transplant surgery. I hope I'm not discouraging anyone out there, but I personally am going through that regret stage. The good thing is that I can already see my weight coming off. I also think that my sleeve is a little bigger than they all say since I drink 2 Protein shakes daily, and they are 11 ounces each; I can drink one with no problem in about 5 minutes. I rejoiced when I read that these damn sleeves do actually stretch over time. I hope mine stretches enough that I can someday go to a restaurant and order a regular (not large) meal again, or have a regular dinner with my family.... this is really the only thing that tortures me right now. I can deal with eating small meals on a daily basis, but to have an occasional dinner out with my friends, or family is priceless to me. Does anyone have any information regarding this matter?, or am I only doing wishful thinking. Thank you...</p>

You will eventually be able to eat a normal meal but you won't be able to eat large amounts. It will be different but you will be able to eat all foods again and your taste will return to normal. You will be able to enjoy your family meals with out the fear of putting on weight because you will be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to eat much to feel satisfied! I am two years out and have maintained my goal weight for a year. I can eat anything (and I do!). I don't have any guilt about what I eat anymore! I can't eat the huge quantities that I used to eat - which is great because the Portion Control is what keeps my weight down.

It is very early days for you and things will change so much over the months and years. When you start to get the compliments and be able to buy those trendy outfits - it will all be worth it. I haven't mentioned how you will be able to move! and how people will treat you differently! It is liberating! Any side effect I have (too much stomach acid and constipation) is nothing compared to what I have gained - believe it - you attitude to food will change and you will reach a place of happiness - you are going through a process at them moment both physically and emotionally so be patient with yourself. All the best!

I know this post is pretty old but I am a 6 foot tall 329 lb woman and this is making me reconsider my surgery. I wonder now that is has been years since you have done this do you still regret doing it?

This user hasn't been active since 2012, but her last post should be encouraging to you:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/222877-13-week-update/

I know this post is pretty old but I am a 6 foot tall 329 lb woman and this is making me reconsider my surgery. I wonder now that is has been years since you have done this do you still regret doing it?