Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Is Everyone So Happy?

I have literally seen hundreds of people now that are sooooo happy that they have done this. They believe that the VSG is the best thing that has ever happened to them and they seem to be so happy. And to tell you the truth that is what helped me make the decision to do this in the first place. Everyone seemed so happy they did it...every single doctor I spoke to thought it was a great idea and the whole thing was posed as a truly positive experience. Oh sure I knew there might be some side effects, but those were gonna be rare, and probably wouldn't happen to me cause I was actually pretty healthy before the surgery. Everyone I spoke to thought it was a great idea, and I was totally envisioning a skinny, healthy and happy me.

I am not happy! I am four weeks out and I have heartburn everyday and throw up almost every day. I absolutely hate the Protein Shakes, and even the fact that I have to force myself to get in all this Protein everyday when I can barely eat! And if I don't I'm ggnna lose my hair :0( The Vitamins make me puke, and I have absolutely no energyI I don't have a problem with getting in my liquids though, because Water is the only thing I actually want. Frankly I would drink water all day long and never eat again, if I didn't know it could kill me, lol...which is totally contrary to the fact that I get depressed and angry when I watch other people eat, knowing that I cannot even come close to what they are eating, and that I don't even enjoy food anymore. (Crying as I write) When I eat with my family, I force down 3 or 4 bites (that don't even taste good) and they still eat for 10 minutes...and in that time I run through a whole host of emotions and have even left the table crying a couple of times now. I have lost 34 pounds already, but I feel like, 'at what cost'. I feel sooooo unhealthy and unhappy, that I really wish I hadn't gotten this surgery done - but it's too late - I can't take it back - so how do I cope?

I just don't know what to do...I am miserable. Everyone keeps telling me that it will get better - but when? Am I alone in these regretful feelings I have? When did you guys feel 'normal' again? And how do you stay positive? Please help!

I had surgery May 16th. In the first few days of being home I kept asking myself "what did I do...what was I thinking." I am now almost 8 weeks out and it is easier. I was lucky not to have any major issues after surgery. It is hard when you are out with family and friends when it comes to eating because you can only eat so much. But I just take my time eating slowly. The positive is the weight that you will lose and the energy that you will regain. I am starting to feel so much better compared to before surgery. Keep your chin up...it does get better!! :D

We eventually become happy because we find what works for us. It does take a lot of tweaking. If your Vitamins make you sick change them, I was not able to take the chewable chalky stuff either, I switched to gummies, now I have no problem taking them. Immediately post op I was not able to tolerate Protein Shakes, so I went to GNC and bought the blue Isopure drink in the clear bottle and put a bunch of ice in it. That god old fast too, so I went online (direct diet.com) and bought chicken broth Protein packs, cheese cake protein pudding, and protein chili. Now 3.5 months out I can tolerate eAs ready made shake. I only drink the shake so I can have room for veggies , but if I wanted I could totally eat my 60g of protein. It's all about switching things up and finding what works for you. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Okay - you asked...

First, seriously, the forum is thick with people listing the early stages as difficult, the Water issue is common and fades, and there is a protien drink out there that you will like - or make your own. You can even get protien Water, and milk fortified with protien, 12 g for 8 0z.

Every issue, every one that you ever had with any other weight loss tool has an opportunity to arise after the sleeve - especially if you do not prepare in advance.

Now, lets fix this in small increments...

You MUST stop stressing and anticipating your body's response to your foods and water. Try some breathing yoga before you drink, losen up your chest, calm down...

Do not sit down with your family at the beginning of the meal, find something to do before you set down.

Take only small bites of food, smallest, chew thoroughly and ask someone a question - so you can talk, and then another bite - if you are still eating as the plates are cleared, so be it...and that is someone elses job now, too. You are going to take warm bath and let yourself relax and digest.

Read, not just here - there are book out there full of insightful, helpful information. If you are interested I will recommend a few.

There will be other posts with excellent suggestions. Good luck - it gets better (look at my profile).

You are in a state of depression which is something everyone can understand, but it's above and beyond it because you knew that your food intake would be limited and it's as though you are mourning food in a way. The nausea isn't helping you and neither is the acid reflux. If regular shakes make you throw up - try something else like Syntrax nectar.

I hate the shakes too. (though I drank one every day 7 months pre-op with no problem). They made me gag, I would never bother eating or drinking them until I barfed though. Take some sips, put it away. I don't have a lot of money because of the surgery and other things, and finding any sort of Protein shake I could handle was getting on my nerves. I had an easier time trying to get down the Syntrax Nectar (which you can buy a 2lb tub of Fuzzy nectar, Ice Tea, Lemonade for like $33.00 (cheaper than buying at Syntrax - it's $59.00 there).

I am not hitting 80 grams of Protein a day, you aren't going to become protein deficit in this short of time. Worry about your Water, chew the Vitamins slowly. I find getting it down with skim milk is better. Try getting in a Vitamin B12 sublingual (goes under your tongue) maybe that will lift your spirits.

If eating with your family is causing tears, then don't eat with them for now. Do you have kids?

My father is embarrassed to eat in front of me, it causes my family anxiety if they see that they are eating something they KNOW I can't eat ...yet, or that used to be my favorite. They went through this surgery with me, and watching someone have this surgery is stressful not just on us, but on the family too. I had a few days where I felt depressed and sorta moody, but I put a different attitude on things. Why should I make them miserable because of a decision I made, that was still the right decision, but it's something I am not having a good time with.

I'm happy because I have two choices, find something that will work for me and try to stay positive or gag stuff down, and be miserable, moody and make everyone around me miserable and moody too. It's not fair to them.

Sometimes happiness is only achievable when you work at it. Do I feel happy all the time, hell no, I hate my Protein Shakes, I decided to go back every other day in the morning because they have more protein in it. If you keep looking for the worst, that is what you are going to see.

Find some positives in your day, don't eat with your family. Are you still on full liquids? Are you on purees? Not sure what phase you are on. I was on full liquids 5 weeks, I just started out with purees. I tried tuna pureed. I had 1.5 ounces of it with light mayo and 3 teaspoons of cottage cheese. That went down great. Then for dinner yesterday, while my husband and son ate pork chops, vegetables and a side dish. I tried the chicken can pureed, which I didn't make liquidy enough it stuck in my throat and I felt horrible the entire night, but I went for a walk, and I realized this is a decision I cannot take back and truthfully I have to change my attitude and look at the positives.

If you are having a lot of acid reflux get on a different PPI.

It honestly seems like this is about mourning food and not being hungry, and perhaps you are trying to get down too much. You can't compare what your family is eating to you...it's unrealistic. Realize you will be able to eat the same things as them in limited quantity in the future, but you are only 4 weeks out of having a serious major surgery.

Think about getting some counseling. The sleeve is a tool to control the size of your stomach but it doesn't fix what caused you to overeat in the first place.

I still hate my shakes, I drank them 7 months prior to surgery and they taste like elmers glue with chocolate, the smell of chocolate makes me want to hurt, but it doesn't make me regret my decision.

I hope you turn the corner soon and things start looking up for you. I wish you the best of luck.

I am so sorry that you aren't feeling well. I also have to force myself to eat most days. I'm sick of Protein Shakes and pureed food. I have to agree with a PP. If your Vitamins are making you sick, try something else. I had the same problem a few days after surgery. I was using a chewable and it came right back up every single time. I realized that taking them on an empty stomach was the problem(iron in it can do that) I asked my PA and she told me to try taking it after I ate with a sip of Water, since we're technically not supposed to drink right after a meal. She said that what I would need to get the pill down wasn't enough to worry about. I found a 'petite' multi I can swallow whole right after I eat. I do eat a touch less to keep some room for it right now. No big deal. I'm only 3 weeks out. Works like a charm!!! Haven't even felt nauseous since.

As far as the heartburn...Are you on an acid reducer? I'm on Pepcid for at least 3 months possibly up to 6 months. I was on Prilosec but it too was making me sick. If you're not, you may want to check in with your doc. Also maybe check in with your Nut. He/She maybe able to help you find different ways to get in your Protein that doesn't suck for you.

One last suggestion...if you are not seeing a counselor, maybe you might want to. Check in with your doc's office or the doc you had your pre-op psych consult with. These are huge life changes we've made and sometimes we can't do it on our own. I know I've needed some extra support at times and it helps to know that it's only a phone call away.

You are not alone. It's hard and it definitely sucks big time some days. I can't tell you if it will get better, I don't know yet. You are actually further along then I am. I know it's hard but try to look on the up side as often as you can. You've lost weight and that was probably hard to do pre surgery. Great job. You're getting your fluids in, I know quite a few people who still can't. I understand not feeling healthy...I mean I'm eating cottage cheese and pureed baby food and pudding. I want real food. I know it's coming but it's tough.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Keep looking to the future and your ultimate outcome. Keep the faith and know that it will get better, I mean, it certainly can't get any worse can it? :)

Interesting. everyone really does go into this with different expectations. I always encourage pre oppers to do as much research as possible. For some reason I went into this expecting complications and problems afterwards and all sorts of horrors, because I knew I could always be one of the small percentage with problems. I didn't care. I hated being fat SOOOO much that I just would have rather dealt with problems than stay that way. I hated food, I hated me. I hated the way my life was going. I didn't care if I ever ate again. I took the plunge and to my relief, I have no problems whatsoever and the weight is melting away. THAT is how I can be so happy. I expECTED trouble and didn't get it. I'm not saying you went into this blind or anything, but everyone needs to do this with the knowledge that there very well could be trouble.

I really hope the bad stuff ends for you very soon. If time doesn't fix it, I pray the doc will!!

PS - no matter how often I post, or how long ago I posted it - I do not walk away from a post - if you need someome to talk to message me, if my suggestions help, maybe I could offer more. My transition was difficult, too.

I didn't have the daily vomiting that you do, and if I did, I would not have been happy. I hate to vomit.

For me, the early days weren't easy. I felt like it was a full-time job just to get 64 ounces of Water in. I didn't want to drink Water. I hated the way it tasted.

I hated making my family worry about me. I remember they didn't like eating in front of me, and they were worried about how little I was eating.

I was tired and eating was work.

It got better, but the reason I am happier than I was has more to do with the negative selftalk that used to float around in my head.

I had a lot of that going on when I was heavier. I wouldn't even bend down to pick something off the floor because it was uncomfortable and awkward. It would become this big discussion in my head as I battled with myself. I don't have those anymore. It went a long way towards making me happier, but it didn't happen right away.

I_Did_it: don't feel too badly, this is very normal. . no i don't believe everyone jumped off the operating table and said "yeah, I'm so happy" noooooo, I'm sure just the opposite. . I hated (hear that?) hated my sleeve and the decision i had made for almost 1 year. . .3-6 months for darn sure. I hated that i had to change my ways, i hated it that i had to re-learn to eat properly without getting sick. . . I hated change! I still hate change. . .i've been out now for 3 years and there are still days i really growl at this surgery decision i made 3 years ago. . .but mostly i am really glad i did it cause i was way more upset and unhappy when i weighed 350 + lbs 3 years ago!

Honestly.. We won't ever be "normal" again. It does get better. I really enjoy EAS CarbAdvatage Protein Shakes. Have you tried those? 17g of Protein for 2 net carbs. It isn't thick and goes down easily and is pretty tasty. The only flavor I don't tolerate in this brand is dark chocolate everything else is very good, convienent, and decently priced. I find them at my local Wal-mart in the pharmacy section. I also found them in an out of state Wal-mart when I went on vacation, so I feel probably, most Wal-Marts carry this product. Also, I was unable to choke down any baritric chewable garbage provided on the market which was a complete waste of my money. My dietitian recommended that I try Flintstones Complete chewables. It's been fine ever since. I take two per day and you will find that it is comparable or even better in the amount you get of nutrients when compared to regular vitamins..and I don't vomit these. The tiredness gets better. You are only 4 weeks out. Your body needs time to heal. It took me 8 weeks before I totally healed and pain free. I'm still not able to normal portions but I take my time and make sure I get in my EAS shakes. As far as heartburn goes.. I had GERD before surgery and I had it worse after I I take 20 mg of prescription Prevacid daily...this has helped a lot! Talk to your doctor about taking a acid reducer. This may help with the incessant feeling to vomit. It did me. If you need to chat, you are welcome to pm me. Good luck on your journey!

Hang in their sista...as you can tell you have a lot of people behind you. You WILL overcome :D

Your feelings are exactly what I felt my first 6 weeks. The day after I was home from the hospital and still in pain and couldn't drink but an ounce of Water at a time, I had "buyer remorse". Seems to me, that you weren't right with food before the surgery. It is not a "fix all", it is a tool. I am 7 months out and I am eating regular foods and still losing weight. You will eventually get back to normal, just a slimmer, healthier you. Yeah, there will be foods that you could eat before and not now, but in all honesty, they probaly weren't good for you anyway. I still have my vices, I still eat them (ie; Pringles and spaghetti and coffee), but just a little bit satiates me. I am now 80 pounds lighter and still losing. Hang in there! I PROMISE it does get better.

As for the Proteins, mix it up, combine them, make your own flavors. www.bariatricadvantage.com has A LOT of selections.

The Vitamins are a trial and error. I had to use liquid Vitamins up until last month, yeah, they taste nasty, but...I have lost 80 pounds!

Everyone wants to be PC, but, suck it up, you chose to do this, you knew what you were in for before you got the surgery. Nasty vitamins, nasty Protein shakes, not being able to eat "real food" for a months, over eating and puking was covered in your pre op training. You are going to be fine, hang in there.

Danielle

I really enjoy EAS CarbAdvatage Protein shakes. Have you tried those? 17g of Protein for 2 net carbs. It isn't thick and goes down easily and is pretty tasty.

I just want to co-sign on the EAS Protein drinks. I tried every drink out there...from GNC wheybolic powder, to Isopure clear and everything in-between. The EAS is thinner and tastes like chocolate milk. It is the only Protein Drink that my sleeve tolerates. I can find it everywhere, Walmart, Kroger and I have seen it at Target too. It's on sale ay Kroger right now $5 for a four pack. Good luck in your journey, hopefully you will be at peace with your decision.

I want to thank everyone soooo much for being here. I appreciate all the help I can get through this tough time. I know that I knew all of the stuff that I was going to have to endure after the surgery, but, as with most things, its very different when you actually get there! It's kinda like having a baby...you think, oh yeah, I got this, diapers and bottles and sleepless nights, but nothing really prepares you for when it actually happens, and then you start to realize that it is more than just that...you are actually raising a little adult and it becomes challanging on a million new levels! That is kinda how this is for me. To be honest, I didn't think that I had a problem with food prior to surgery...but in hind sight, I suppose I did, cause I couldn't stop myself on many occassions. I would always clean my plate. I am definitely grieving food, I can admit that, but I am also having a big problem with this heartburn and vomitting. I go to my doctor this Thursday, so I will see what he says. I suspect he might want to do a leak test because of the vomitting. I will post after my appointment! I have also read that your hormones are all outta wack after this surgery and some girls have said that the PMS like triple what they did before, and my time is coming soon, so perhaps this is part of my problem. I am thankful for you guys, and the fact that my hubby will hug me and let me cry for as long as needed!

Thanks for the recommendation on the EAS shakes. I have seen those at my Kroger, so I will pick them up next time I go!

-Caren