Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain- Seriously?

Well, here's one for ya... I am doing my 3 month supervised diet with my surgeon. I go to the classes, follow the diet to a "T" and exercise. I am just finishing my 1st of 3 months. I just got on the scale and noticed that I have gained 2 lbs. I have my class and weigh in tomorrow night. I have noticed that I do eat more carbs- fruits, vege's and a little quinoa than I have in the past- but this is what I have been told to do in the diet. In myfitnesspal, I am under my calorie intake by 300-500 cals per day due to exercise. I just don't get it... I would have thought I would loose. 2 lbs isn't that much and is probably Water, but I am bummed. I am almost thinking of going to 2 shakes and 1 meal a day to loose some weight.

You are exercising and muscle weighs more than fat so check your measurements before you get discouraged.

When you join Myfitnesspal.com It has a default setting of the following:

1200 calories a day 165 Carbs a day 40 Fat a day 40 Protein a day

There is NO way you are going to lose weight on 165 carbs.

I was on a six month pre-op diet and I followed my doctor's recommended which was about 800-1000 calories a day less than 75 carbs a day and 80 Protein a day .

Drink 64 ounces of Water which could include non-caffeinated beverages - all must have less than 5 calories per serving (0 carbs)

Eat 100-200 calories within 1 hour of waking up. (I did this by having a Protein shake for Breakfast every morning

Goal 15-30 minutes ofe xercises daily - split up if it's too hard for you.

Pedometer - Ultimate goal of 10,000 steps daily.

Eat 3-4 cups of fruit or vegetables daily - not fried or cooked in oil or butter.

Replace unhealthy snackes with fruits and vegetables

Chew each bite 20 times before swallowing.

Attempt a low calorie hot beverage before each meal and snack - hot tea or something like that.

I love fruits, but they are not talking about fruit juice, which are high in carbs.

I stayed at between 45-75 carbs a day and I lost 10 pound a month each month during the 6 month pre-op diet.

When you go into myfitness pal - hit "settings" I would hit the drop down box on the left - and add sodium and potassium to your list. You will want to see how much sodium you are getting in for those days you are bloated and and you gain a pound or two to see how much sodium you are taking on. I would also hit potassium for days you are noticing that you are getting cramps in your legs or feet - meaning you may not be getting enough potassium.

If you are going to be following the Breakfast - snack - lunch - snack - dinner - snack routine, change that in the next drop down box. Realize all previous entries will get converted into a weird form - meaning most likely dinner will be located at lunch - but you can explain that to your doctor.

Save now go back out to home - then next to home you will see GOAL - Click Goal... on the bottom click the green change goal button. Click button custom - then click the green continue button - I would first and foremost - lower those carbohydrates to under 100 grams a day. I would up protein to 80 grams a day.

When you change the settings for one - it automatically changes does the % for other's so you have to play around with it some.

IE - 1000 calories - 30% carbs (75 grams) 35% protein - 88 Grams 35% fat 39 grams.

My main priority was my 80 grams of protein and I always went from 80 - 90 grams of protein a day. I tried to stay within 45-75 grams of carbs and I always tried to keep my fat as low as possible.

I changed how many days a week I was going to exercise to 7 days - 30 minutes a day. Everyone has 30 minutes to walk - even if it's in 15 minutes intervals around your home, twice a day.

When I first started I could barely get up my stairs and I didn't fit onto the gazelle and I would walk in place 5 - 10 minutes while watching tv - then I gradually got into the groove.

Just because it says you can lose 2 lbs. a week with what their target is - that's for someone that doesn't have a messed up metabolism. If I ate their recommended of 1200 - 165 carbs i would be gaining 5 lbs a week or more!!!

Stay within 45-75 grams of carbs - throw in a shake for breakfast, first and foremost look at your protein - get that up to 80 grams a day.

When you eat dinner. Do not eat your salad first, or your grains first. Eat all your meat, then you eat your vegetables, chew slowly. Do not drink Water or anything with your meals. Wait 1/2 hour after you eat to drink your water.

I always had water with my meals because I was a choker. Why did I choke? Because I swallowed my food without being chewed well. I took away my water and I learned to chew well and take my time and focus on what I was doing.

You should always be under your calories because of exercise. It always said I was not eating enough etc. etc. It's all good, but if doing the 3 month diet will jump start your weight loss, it's all worth it because it will make after getting sleeved that much easier.

If you have any other questions, please hit me up, explain to your doctor regarding my fitness pal and fix that asap.

Good luck.

And I'm just gonna chime in here and add:

If diets were one size fits all, none of us would need surgery! We'd be skinny the first time we tried Weight Watchers, or Nutritsystem, or Optifast, or any one of the dozens of other diets I've tried in my life!

Overweight people CANNOT eat the same amounts of food as people that are naturally smaller. We must need less, or the 1,200 calorie diet would be a magic wand we could wave at ourselves.

It simply doesn't work that way. So, adjust your diet now and talk to your doctor about this. I'm sure this isn't your first go round with a "normal" diet that isn't helping you lose weight, right? He should be sympathetic to that idea. I had a nutritionist call me a liar once because I was gaining weight on a diet she gave me to follow - she insisted I must be cheating. The reality is, I gain weight on more than 1,400-1,500 calories a day, unless I add in a ton of exercise.

Now, two pounds is a small gain. But you should have lost in the first month of a new diet, so I'd shake things up.

And the last thing I'd do is jump onto a liquid diet. Why? Because you can't maintain that for two whole months and if you fall off and crash hard, the rebound weight might push you higher than you are now. If you want to shake it up, so to speak, replace one meal a day with a balanced Protein shake, and follow some of the advice the PP gave you.

Good luck, and I hope it all works out,

~Cheri