Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Was Supposed To Be A Great Day.

I'm sorry, this post isn't strictly about the sleeves...

Today was supposed to be my first day of the 2-week pre-op diet. I had a big canvas bag of shakes, pudding and yogurts that I was going to keep in stock at work. I know some people really don't look forward to this liquid diet but I was excited to lose more weight and it meant the final step before my surgery on the 24th.

Well about a minute before I was headed out to work, out of nowhere, my beautiful 19-month old son went into a seizure. This has never happened to us before and for a few minutes there I thought I was going to lose him. He ended up having 2 more seizures today and now we're here overnight at PICU. He seemed to be doing much better at night and now he's sleeping restfully. We are hoping for the best and the original diagnosis we were given that he has a viral infection. It seems to be common for babies.

I'm very overwhelmed and stressed now and considering postponing my surgery. My pre-op consul with the surgeon is this Thursday. My husband seems like he really wants me to still go through with it because I've been waiting to have it so long but suddenly it doesn't seem as important anymore. If it wasn't for the fact that a family member was already coming to stay with us the week of my surgery I would have already cancelled. Tomorrow after we learn more I'll have to decide. I hope my son will be healthy and normal again and one day I will be healthy too.

Thank you for listening, it felt good to tell someone and I'm sure someone out there may have faced something similar and can reassure me.

My grandson at age 8 had his first seizure in a pizza shop. It scared my son to death. He has been on medicine for the past 4 years and now they took him off. From his MRI he only has a small chance of a seizure again. It has been a year and so far so good. I know your son is a little one but seizures are scary. He needs a strong healthy Mom. He will be fine. Best of luck on your surgery.

Mokee

I am so sorry to hear about your son, and I pray things will be good for him and you. Your husband seems like a pretty cool dude, even though you guys are experiencing heartache at the moment he still want you to pursue your wish. I work at a pediatric hospital so I see a lot of sick babies, but those same babies go on to get better and live good normal lives. Just stay strong and know you are not alone and this to shall pass.

Onika

Sorry about your bubba, much love to you and your family.

Tomorrow is a new day.

You will have more information. Decide about surgery then. BUT if you really were looking forward to the VLCD, why not start anyway? More convenient than other foods, and if you decide to go ahead, you will be ready and if you post one, you will have lost some weight!

OMG I am so sorry to read this. I hate to hear of babies having to go through something like this. I'm not a mom, so I can only imagine the pain and devastation you must be feeling. I think I would want to postpone too, until my baby was out of murky waters.

The good news is it sounds like you have your "dream team" around you. Your husband is supportive, plus you've got someone else coming to stay with you. Since you have support, maybe it will be ok to have the surgery. Perhaps even discuss it with your surgeon. The stress of something like this might elevate your blood pressure. So see what he advises.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one. If it needs to, the surgery can wait. On the other hand, the sooner you get healthier for your son's (and your own) sake, the better. Good luck in your decision, and I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

I pray that all will be well with your son. Just think how lucky you are that you already scheduled someone to be with you that week. I went back to work 1 1/2 weeks post surgery; I was tired, but okay. In just a few weeks post surgery, you'll be saying "Thank God I did this" because you'll fell so much better.

Milk,

My daughter was almost 2 when she had her first seizure. It was the scariest thing ever, I completely understand what you are feeling, helplessness. By the time she was 6 there were no more, she had been diagnosed with epilepsy of early childhood, with the neurologist indicating she would completely outgrow by age 12. She is now a beautiful 25 year old woman and never had another seizure.

My advise to you would be to stay on your path to good health. You need to Take care of you, these miracles, our children, are resilient. Sounds like you have support from your hubby, that is key.

Hugs...

Life does has a way of throwing you curveballs. All you can do is recognize them and learn how to hit them. You will get through this and figure out the right thing to do.

Thank you HappyCamper. I think we will be facing the same thing with my son. He had several more seizures last night so looks like he's just going to be one of those kids with seizures and hopefully we'll be as lucky as your daughter and he'll outgrow his in a few years.

Right now the surgery is still on. Husband is adamant I do it. I'm very thankful for him. Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I pray all is well for your child and for your surgery!

MilkD,

Many prayers to you and your family! My daughter started having seizures at four days old and with proper care and meds she is great! She has been off meds for awhile now and is almost 8 yrs. old! So wonderful to hear how supportive your husband is, you will do great with such a great support system around you! All my best to you! I look forward to hearing of all your wonderful success!!!

I'm sorry' date=' this post isn't strictly about the sleeves...

Today was supposed to be my first day of the 2-week pre-op diet. I had a big canvas bag of shakes, pudding and yogurts that I was going to keep in stock at work. I know some people really don't look forward to this liquid diet but I was excited to lose more weight and it meant the final step before my surgery on the 24th.

Well about a minute before I was headed out to work, out of nowhere, my beautiful 19-month old son went into a seizure. This has never happened to us before and for a few minutes there I thought I was going to lose him. He ended up having 2 more seizures today and now we're here overnight at PICU. He seemed to be doing much better at night and now he's sleeping restfully. We are hoping for the best and the original diagnosis we were given that he has a viral infection. It seems to be common for babies.

I'm very overwhelmed and stressed now and considering postponing my surgery. My pre-op consul with the surgeon is this Thursday. My husband seems like he really wants me to still go through with it because I've been waiting to have it so long but suddenly it doesn't seem as important anymore. If it wasn't for the fact that a family member was already coming to stay with us the week of my surgery I would have already cancelled. Tomorrow after we learn more I'll have to decide. I hope my son will be healthy and normal again and one day I will be healthy too.

Thank you for listening, it felt good to tell someone and I'm sure someone out there may have faced something similar and can reassure me.[/quote']

How are u and bub doing now?

How are u and bub doing now?

We got let out of the hospital Wednesday morning. He was put on anti-seizure medication and had been seizure-free for 24 hours so we were allowed to leave.. thank god, we all hated the hospital. However on Thursday night and Friday morning he had more seizures right before his medication runs out so we were told to up the dosage. Seems to be working now... no seizures since then and he's finally acting normal again except a little tired. He's been acting more cuddly and wanting to hug mommy and daddy a lot so there is that.

Today finally felt like a normal day and liquid diet has been great, not even suffering. Thank you so much for asking!