Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roll Call Nurses Being Sleeved ...........

Out of all the forums, I particularly love this one the best. Although I know full well what I'm getting myself into, I also am well aware of all that could go wrong. Am I the only nurse out here scared to death? I do pray, and I am most certain that God will guide me with making the best decision; however, I still have fear deep down. That nagging thought of "what if something goes wrong". I also realize that if I was having this surgery in the US, i would be more at ease. I think the bulk of my anxiety comes from having this procedure done in Mexico.

Wow! I pray my recovery is as good as yours! My doc promises me I will ready to return to work as a labor/delivery nurse in just 2 weeks-I thought he was pulling my leg! I plan on requesting 6 weeks just in case. I also don't want anyone' date=' other than my director to know about my surgery-so I want to go back 100%. Thanks for sharing!@[/quote']

From my experience, your Dr is right. By 2 weeks you should be back 100%. Seriously.

I'm curious though, if you don't want your coworkers to know about the surgery then what do you plan on telling them when you're gone 6 weeks? Just asking...

Best of luck to you!!! :)

Out of all the forums' date=' I particularly love this one the best. Although I know full well what I'm getting myself into, I also am well aware of all that could go wrong. Am I the only nurse out here scared to death? I do pray, and I am most certain that God will guide me with making the best decision; however, I still have fear deep down. That nagging thought of "what if something goes wrong". I also realize that if I was having this surgery in the US, i would be more at ease. I think the bulk of my anxiety comes from having this procedure done in Mexico.[/quote']

I'll keep you in my prayers as well! Let go of the "what ifs" and take the leap of Faith. You're going to do great!

BIG <<<HUGS>>>

I'll keep you in my prayers as well! Let go of the "what ifs" and take the leap of Faith. You're going to do great!

BIG <<<HUGS>>>

Thanks for the words of encouragement and you couldn't have said it better, this is indeed a leap of Faith.

LPN for 5yrs, RN for 12. I work Cardiac/Telemetry and my surgery date is 14Aug12. I plan to take 2 weeks off after surgery. I have made a contingency plan for an additional week off if things don't go smoothly. Our hospital has a Lift Team 24hrs a day and electric transport gurneys so that should make things easier.

Hi I'm Fran have been a RN for 18 yrs. I've worked Telementry, ICU, Admission Center, now Clinical Supervisor of Employee Health for 2.5 yrs now. Excited and scared of more surgery had a band for 7 yrs, removed 5/ 11 along with hernia repair. Want to be healthy tired of being sick, many comorbidities. But hoping and praying for a new life wishing everyone much sucess with your endeavours.

Question for the nurses: I am only planning on taking off a week from work since I have a total desk job. Do you think I am being realistic? I bounce back pretty quick (had my gallbladder out on a Friday & back on Monday).

I plan to take off 2wks , I have a desk job also. I think at least 2 wks is needed, u don't want 2 rush things.

From my experience, your Dr is right. By 2 weeks you should be back 100%. Seriously.

I'm curious though, if you don't want your coworkers to know about the surgery then what do you plan on telling them when you're gone 6 weeks? Just asking...

Best of luck to you!!! :)

Well, I have a hiatal hernia so the plan, if anyone asks is I had hiatal hernia repair-which is true! I may end up "fessing up" if people become overly worried about my excessive weight loss. I believe most of my co-workers would be supportive, but there are a couple who can be just downright rude. After I've had the surgery I may feel free to discuss it-we'll just have to see. Kind of the same thing applies to most of my family.

Well' date=' I have a hiatal hernia so the plan, if anyone asks is I had hiatal hernia repair-which is true! I may end up "fessing up" if people become overly worried about my excessive weight loss. I believe most of my co-workers would be supportive, but there are a couple who can be just downright rude. After I've had the surgery I may feel free to discuss it-we'll just have to see. Kind of the same thing applies to most of my family.[/quote']

I put hiatal hernia on my FMLA paperwork, and left off the diagnosis of morbid Obesity. It's something very bothersome about some random dude in another state reviewing my app and determining whether or not I should get 3 weeks off for surgery related to a diagnosis of morbid obesity.

Nursing student here. I will be graduating in August 2012 assuming my patho doesn't take me down lol. I am on a waiting list for my first consultation and have about 6-8 months left to wait. I am really hoping to get it done in my 6 or 7 weeks off I have coming up in 5 months. I might be asking too much. I am then back on clinical rotations for 4 months. It is so nice to see so many nurses here :)

Hi!

I'm Bonnie, and I've been an RN for 20 yrs. this year. I work in a busy cardiac surgery ICU. My surgeon said to expect to be off 6-8 weeks, if you do heavy lifting...which all of us in the ICU do...no lift team, lots of chronic illness and immobility issues. I plan to take off as much time as I can! This is OUR time, to focus on healing ourselves, not the rest of the world...which we are SO good at!! :D I also am a certified legal nurse consultant, so I can do some work on that while I'm off.

Incredible to see so many nurses getting healthy together!!! Very empowering.

I am a teacher/nurse. I sort of told my vice-principal that I was trying to get approval for lap-band. For some reason that does not shock people so much. I figured I needed to give someone a heads up about having to go to appointments etc... Plus. I knew she would be my worst critic. She seemed to be supportive, but reminded me that I was fearfully and wonderfully made. I told her she was so right and that I had no plans of altering the alimentary canal like by-pass. I reminded her that God did not make me obese, Me, food and the devil did! Now I have the power to undo what I did to my temple!

I am a teacher/nurse. I sort of told my vice-principal that I was trying to get approval for lap-band. For some reason that does not shock people so much. I figured I needed to give someone a heads up about having to go to appointments etc... Plus. I knew she would be my worst critic. She seemed to be supportive, but reminded me that I was fearfully and wonderfully made. I told her she was so right and that I had no plans of altering the alimentary canal like by-pass. I reminded her that God did not make me obese, Me, food and the devil did! Now I have the power to undo what I did to my temple!

Amen.....that was a GREAT response!!! Love It!!!

I am all set! I started my pre-op diet this morning and will have surgery August 22. Scared and excited all at the same time! My surgeon wants me off work for six weeks and this will slide right into a planned two week vacation. I won't be going back to work until about the third week in October. I still haven't figured out what to tell people at work. A few of my good friends know I am having WLS, but most do not. I figure it will all come out in the end, but for now I am just not ready to deal with any negative comments and it feels too private. I feel somewhat embarrassed that I have allowed myself to get into this situation in the first place. However, I am so grateful this tool is available to help me achieve my goals and maintain my health.

RN for 4 years all pedi experience and I love it :)) getting sleeved on Wednesday took 2 weeks of pto it will come to a total of 3 weeks off work. I work 12's and will prob have a wt limit but my director is awesome and scheduled me

to be charge RN for the 3 weeks

after