Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excessive Dry Mouth...w Cpap..

I'm using a clap..with a humidifier..and I wake up two or three times a night with my mouth completely dry....so dry I had blisters on my tongue this morning...and cheek is stuck to gums..I think part of it could be I tend to sleep with mouth open more when on my back....

And I cant sleep on side or tummy because of jp drain.

Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using VST.. seopressor plugin

I didn't know you had the drain. I had a drain as well and let me tell you what a different world it will be without that dang thang!! I just sipped, sipped, sipped. I didn't get much sleep because I cannot sleep on my back.

I'm using a clap..with a humidifier..and I wake up two or three times a night with my mouth completely dry....so dry I had blisters on my tongue this morning...and cheek is stuck to gums..I think part of it could be I tend to sleep with mouth open more when on my back....

I sleep with a CPAP as well, but don't have a problem with my mouth opening while sleeping with it. I've heard that they have apparatuses made specifically for those CPAP patients that need help keeping the mouth closed during sleep & while using the machine. Good luck to you on that, I can imagine how that feels, when I put my machine in for the night, that first rush of forced air is enough for me to keep my mouth closed during the night ;)

I had the very same type of problems with my CPAP that Patrick has been experiencing. This was never a problem before surgery so it was an unwelcomed surprise after surgery. I had this problem for three or four nights. I then started putting cooler Water in the water reservoir. I also turned the ramping off, added one more pillow to prop my head up more and last I started taking my second Pepcid of the day closer to bedtime in case my repaired Hiatal Hernia was irritated and causing reflux. I don't know if any of these made a difference or if it just improved with time, but I have not had this problem the past two nights. Hopefully your issue will quickly resolve too!

Have you already lost some weight, Patrick? I've lost about 43 lbs from my high weight so far & last week I had to go to my pulmonologist and have them decrease the pressure on my CPAP. Once the pressure was reduced, I haven't had any problems with mouth leaks/breathing.

The only times that I have experienced dry mouth with my CPAP is when my mouth was open during the night. When I had a full face mask (over the nose AND mouth), I couldn't keep keep my mouth shut. Once I switched to nasal pillows, like the Swift FX, I was able to keep my mouth shut. (For the most part, sometimes I wake myself up with a wind tunnel sound and finally realize it's ME making that noise.)

After my sleeve. I would wake up several times due to dry mouth. As I started consuming more Water it has gone away. I also have cpap. I don't use the humidifier Drink a glass of Water befor bed helps. N I keep bottle of water on night stand

My mouth was dry after surgery if I drink enough Water. I'm fine. If I don't I wake with my lips stuck to my teeth I been on cpap since 1995

I sleep with the CPAP also. Dry mouth is unavoidable. If I do wake up I keep a small bottle of Water next to me. I keep my humidifier on the CPAP turned to the highest level which is 5 so I won't have a stuffy nose the next day.

Since my surgery my CPAP has been my saving grace for good sleep.< /p>

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Can probably guarantee dehydration plays a little into it... most fluids ive gotten in so far is 40 in a single day... yesterday was my best day and I did have less of an issue..but it still happened.

I had the same problem with the CPAP machine -- waking up with a severely dry mouth. I discovered Biotene Oral Rinse and it helped a lot. Biotene also has other products for dry mouth:

http://www.biotene.com/Products.aspx

Good luck!

Wow. I didn't even think of this being lated to surgery. Guess im gonna have to add another liter/day.

Wow. I didn't even think of this being lated to surgery. Guess im gonna have to add another liter/day.

I had cotton mouth with the CPAP long before surgery but it is actually better since surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I know this is a latecoming post ... but Patrick your photo shows you with a goatee. I can't tolerate any facial hair at all, or else I get leaks around my mask. I wish I could stop shaving and grow my beard back, but not until I get off this CPAP.

I know it's probably blasphemy, but have you considered going clean-shaven?

Did anyone turn up the humidity on the humidifier or can u. Mine is adjustable and while getting used to it and adjusting it from the cotton mouth. I turn it up and lets just say i didnt have to worry about cottonmouth but did have to clean the mask out lol