Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Be Able To Eat Again?!?!?

So I'm very frustrated with my eating... I can't seem to eat anything.. GRRR!!!! I had little bit of a melt down today, I was doing so good with eating for the first 6 days after surgery. I was eating 40gr Protein, Water and some Soup and now for the past 2 days I can't seem to get down anything without getting the hiccups and/or feeling full after 1 or 2 sips or bites. I wanna cry! I know I have to eat but my taste for everything is changing and the Protein Shakes are gagging me with the taste and texture. I just want to sit down and eat something! ANYTHING!! Help! Will I always be like this?!? Will I every be able to eat a normal meal again?!?!

I have not been there yet but I read the boards a lot and it seems like everyone goes through this. It is probably some swelling as the stomach heals and will settle down soon. Seems like most people say that our taste changes, so that may take longer to figure out. I know that for awhile, there will be bad days as everything heals up inside. Try to stay focused on why you wanted this and very soon things should get better for you.

Hang in there :unsure:

I'm 5 days post-op and I've been up and down too. I've been focusing on keeping hydrated and sipping various combos of crystal light and, my new love....Zero Vitamin Water. I've been careful not to go over teh more than a mouthful mantra and staying away from spice of any kind. I'm eating creamy chicken broth for my "meals" and it's been going ok. The clear chicken broth kept me cramping up for some reason. My trick with the creamier broth is that I don't drink it or sip from the spoon. I use a teaspoon. Dip it and lick the broth off of the back of the spoon. It seems to be working....

I read up on things to soothe your stomach and ginger is my best friend. I broke out the Ninja. Put some Water in it and cuts of fresh ginger. I pulse blended until it became a watery pulp. Let it sit, then strained off the pulp. I poured the remaining water into water bottles and put them in the fridge. Now when I'm thirsty, I put a crystal light or other SF packet in it and start working on the hydration.

It does wonders. I've not had nearly as much cramping...the ginger is my new tonic and it's working well. Low cost and I can reuse my water bottles and take them with me wherever I go to stay hydrated and battle my nausea.

It will get better. Everyone on these boards are so supportive. Just stay positive and remember where you're going. This is only temporary. You'll find the best fit. Just keep experimenting.

Good luck.

Yes, you will be able to eat normal food again, just not as much as you were used to before being sleeved. The first few weeks after being sleeved are the hardest, in my humble opinion. If you're like me, you're feeling very deprived and very hopeless. Everything tasted funky to me those first few weeks too. And I couldn't stand the smell of a Protein shake, much less the taste...lol.

It will get better. I started feeling so much better after I was able to make the switch to soft food. My nutritionist told me not to worry about getting enough Protein in the first few weeks. With all the changes your body is going through, what you're experiencing seems to be par for the course. Just hang in there, and try to distract yourself as best you can.

It does get so much better. I'm at week 8 and I can eat anything but in very small amounts.

It gets better every day. It totally sucks for the first 1-2 months.... But it will be so worth it. Hang in there!

Nah, you'll never be able to eat again. Those of us in maintenance are starving to death. ;)

Ok, you know I'm teasing. Hey, you just transitioned from clears to full liquids and added in Soups, right? They're thicker and your poor, healing stomach is still swollen. It takes a while to hold a decent sized meal. And by decent sized I really mean 4 solid ounces!

You're also feeling frustrated by your limited diet, I'm sure. You're uncomfortable, can't eat, food is less appealing and your entire life is changing - but this will pass. And it really does pass more quickly than you think it will. Before you know it, you'll be posting your three month update.

So hang in there. Focus on hydration and healing. Nutritional goals can wait. Nobody hits them right away.

It's frustrating but you'll be onto soft foods soon. Sure, you'll only get in a bite or two at first but that gets easier, too. Focus on avoiding dehydration and relax.

Best of luck, and congrats on your new sleeve!

~Cheri

Yes, you will be able to eat normal food again, just not as much as you were used to before being sleeved. The first few weeks after being sleeved are the hardest, in my humble opinion. If you're like me, you're feeling very deprived and very hopeless. Everything tasted funky to me those first few weeks too. And I couldn't stand the smell of a Protein shake, much less the taste...lol.

It will get better. I started feeling so much better after I was able to make the switch to soft food. My nutritionist told me not to worry about getting enough Protein in the first few weeks. With all the changes your body is going through, what you're experiencing seems to be par for the course. Just hang in there, and try to distract yourself as best you can.

this is exactly how I feel!! Deprived, irritated, and feeling like I've made a horrible decision! Do I really want to eat like this the rest of my life?!?!? NO!!! It's not even that I am starving or anything it's just that I know I need to eat and I can't. Beyond frustrated with it... I just want to eat because I know I need to, I need to get the protein in to aid in the weight loss AND hair loss and I simply can't. I'm going to try to mix it up today and try a different Protein Shake and some other Soups and see how it goes, just ready for this week to be over so I can try something with some real texture Saturday!!

Thanks for your posts everyone, it does help to know I'm not the only one!! I was expecting a little frustration but when it actually hits you that you can't eat but a bite or two and that's not even explaining it well, more like a couple of licks! lol I just kind of had a freak out moment yesterday and had a pity party to go along with it =) Hopefully this week will be better!!!

UPDATE!!! My husband found Protein bullets!!! Why didn't I find these before!?!?! 50 grams of protein in a 2.9oz pop! Woo Hoo!! Picking some up this morning and will update on how they work =) I don't care how bad they taste as long as I don't have to choke down another 3, 11oz protein shake!! Hopefully they taste good though LOL!

Oh honey, you WILL be hungry again. I'm 6 months out and up until about a week ago I would eat 3 or 4 bites and be full to the point where the thought of eating more made me sick. I have recently noticed that I can eat a whole lot more. I still chew everything up as much as possible and it takes me awhile to eat it but I am eating 7 or 8 bites now. That may not seem like much but compared to 3 or 4 it's significant. Power through, it will all feel normal again soon.