Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Addiction

I'm don't consume much fruit either, mostly because I watch carbs / sugar so carefully, and to your body, fruit = sugar. I know many people find they can add fruit back in without it triggering cravings, but I just wanted to sound a note of caution for those whose systems may be more carb sensitive.

If nothing else, you may find it's wise to combine the fruit with a Protein source, like a slice of cheese or greek yogurt.

I hear that. I feel guilty when I go over my allowance of sugar and carb intake for the day. I try and keep track daily and noticed I over eat carbs and sugar. It stresses me out which make me want to eat more. A never ending struggle for me and probably why I needed surgery in the first place. I want to see if eating more fruits will help. I started eating a fruit when I craves sweets. I figure all the Fiber will help me out anyway. I have had a good steady weight loss and have only stalled once or twice for a week. I usually combine the friut with a handfull of nuts to get that "munchies" saitety.

I know after having surgery i am a straight up addict to foods.

thank you everyone for you suggestions. I definately eat alot less sweets than before, but I haven't eliminated like many successful people on this site. For those strict low carbers can you give me some pointers on how you do it?

How do you stay low on carbs, what do you do to stop your self from eating that piece of chocolate or whatever your sin is?

If I can get my net carbs under 40 grams (ideally under 30) per day, resisting temptation gets a lot easier after the first 3-4 days. Those first days I just have to power through, using everything I can - chewing gum, lots of Water, tea, you name it. I think of it as detoxing. It's hard, but once I get through it I feel so much better, and the sweets calling my name get a lot quieter.

I've eliminated dairy milk (sub almond milk), Pasta, rice, and potatoes from my diet. I found a low-carb bread that I can have half of slice of for an open faced sandwich at lunch for only 2 net carbs. I've found a soy Protein chip I like to replace potato chips. I've discovered roasted seaweed is yummy and salty and helps when i crave popcorn. I almost never eat fruit - I know that approach isn't for everyone, but for me, a big part of this really is biochemical, and to my body, fruit IS sugar.

Once I've detoxed, it's a combination of strategies. One is getting the temptations out of the house or at least out of sight and less convenient. Another is eating regularly throughout the day, high protein - letting myself get too hungry can lower my resistance. Another is paying attention to triggers, and trying to avoid them. I deal with stress directly, with deep breathing, a little walk around the office, and a soothing cup of tea. I avoid reading food blogs (I've become a big fan of low-carb, sugar-free blogs!) if I'm having a challenging day.

And, I'm working on finding substitutes like the ones listed above that make me happy so I don't feel deprived of treats. Sugar Free Chocolate pb protein pudding is a regular treat for me (made with almond milk - regular milk is too many carbs!). I make a sugar free protein mocha frappuccino often in the afternoons. I made a low carb sugar free microwave molten chocolate hazelnut cake earlier this week that was AWESOME. Not exactly low cal, but not terrible, and with my workouts I have room for a couple of indulgences as long as they don't become daily habits. But the key for me seems to be watching the carbs so an indulgence doesn't send me into a binge cycle that goes on for days.

This has worked for me. I'm below my surgeon's goal, and I never stalled until I started messing around with carbs again.

I've read blogs by people who've managed to train themselves to enjoy anything in moderation. Maybe that would be possible for me, but right now having a stable weight and not binging is more important to me, and I'm willing to give up the sugar for alternatives, at least until I feel like I have more control.

If I can get my net carbs under 40 grams (ideally under 30) per day, resisting temptation gets a lot easier after the first 3-4 days. Those first days I just have to power through, using everything I can - chewing gum, lots of Water, tea, you name it. I think of it as detoxing. It's hard, but once I get through it I feel so much better, and the sweets calling my name get a lot quieter.

I've eliminated dairy milk (sub almond milk), Pasta, rice, and potatoes from my diet. I found a low-carb bread that I can have half of slice of for an open faced sandwich at lunch for only 2 net carbs. I've found a soy Protein chip I like to replace potato chips. I've discovered roasted seaweed is yummy and salty and helps when i crave popcorn. I almost never eat fruit - I know that approach isn't for everyone, but for me, a big part of this really is biochemical, and to my body, fruit IS sugar.

Once I've detoxed, it's a combination of strategies. One is getting the temptations out of the house or at least out of sight and less convenient. Another is eating regularly throughout the day, high Protein - letting myself get too hungry can lower my resistance. Another is paying attention to triggers, and trying to avoid them. I deal with stress directly, with deep breathing, a little walk around the office, and a soothing cup of tea. I avoid reading food blogs (I've become a big fan of low-carb, sugar-free blogs!) if I'm having a challenging day.

And, I'm working on finding substitutes like the ones listed above that make me happy so I don't feel deprived of treats. sugar free chocolate pb protein pudding is a regular treat for me (made with almond milk - regular milk is too many carbs!). I make a sugar free protein mocha frappuccino often in the afternoons. I made a low carb sugar free microwave molten chocolate hazelnut cake earlier this week that was AWESOME. Not exactly low cal, but not terrible, and with my workouts I have room for a couple of indulgences as long as they don't become daily habits. But the key for me seems to be watching the carbs so an indulgence doesn't send me into a binge cycle that goes on for days.

This has worked for me. I'm below my surgeon's goal, and I never stalled until I started messing around with carbs again.

I've read blogs by people who've managed to train themselves to enjoy anything in moderation. Maybe that would be possible for me, but right now having a stable weight and not binging is more important to me, and I'm willing to give up the sugar for alternatives, at least until I feel like I have more control.

thank you so much for your advice. I just ordered some protein chips from Amazon today. where do you get the protein pudding and roasted seaweed? I have had a hard time stopping the fruit, I have 3 servings a day, I have loved fruit my whole life and it's hard to have just a little, fruit happens to go down very easily and I can have large quantities with no restriction, unfortunately, so it's about self control with fruit.

I order Protein pudding powder from diet direct.com. The roasted seaweeds everywhere these days - costco, trader joes, but also regular grocery stores and Amazon.com.

Good luck - we CAN do this!

I am to have the sleeve procedure done on August 13....sugar addiction is one of my major concerns, and another concern is the carbs. Someone said it best on here, they were a carb junkie....that is exactly what I am! It will be a struggle but I'm hoping to keep focused and try my best to keep those cravings to a minimum! I'm glad you posted this....makes me feel like I'm not alone in this fight!

I am to have the sleeve procedure done on August 13....sugar addiction is one of my major concerns, and another concern is the carbs. Someone said it best on here, they were a carb junkie....that is exactly what I am! It will be a struggle but I'm hoping to keep focused and try my best to keep those cravings to a minimum! I'm glad you posted this....makes me feel like I'm not alone in this fight!

You are not alone, actually I think we are in the majority and I think the obesity epidemic is related to our sugar/carb consumption which has skyrocketed over the last 3 decades (along with the size of our waist lines). There is alot of research and talk about sugar in science recently. I recommend watching Dr. Lustig's video on youtube: "Sugar: the bitter truth" I really think that he is on to something big.... I'm a sugar addict and always will struggle with this, even after my sleeve. But have support, advice from others is so helpful...

High fructose corn Syrup is MUCH sweeter than sugar and that is no accident. It also creates more craving for more corn syrup. Of the 2 poisons, sugar is the lesser of evils. Read your ingredient labels before you feel weak. At least you will have a slight head start. The american public did not request that food manufacturers add large quantities of high fructose corn syrup to so many of our foods. And when I think of it this way I get angry enough to avoid corn syrup just on the principle of the thing. Remember back to when the tobacco industry conspired against the public saying cigarettes were not ADDICTING? I hope one day corn syrup will exposed as a way the public has been manipulated for food industry profit. Sorry for the soap box. I too am a sugar addict.

A private theory of mine is that if someone suffers from a candida yeast overgrowth, the yeast cry out to be fed sugar. And every other day I find myself back slipping back to sugar and feel temporary relief.

On other boards, I notice some people's cravings are lessened by taking L-Glutamine and Selenium.

I know this is a really old topic, but I thought I'd share something for the benefit of those who come along after me. I've recently been reading The Diet Cure and books by Maria Emmerich, and both recommend L-Glutamine for sugar cravings. I started taking it this week, and I cannot believe the difference! Honestly, for me it's like night and day. I'm sure it all depends on what's at the root of your sugar issues, but if there's a chance there's a biochemical component, it might be worth a try. Suddenly I feel in control of my food choices again, sugar doesn't call to me, and my appetite is lower overall. Side effects are very rare - mostly Constipation and that's only with very substantial doses. It's easy to find in health stores, or online via Amazon.com and other sites.

Have any of you tried Atkins bars? They are low carb. some are high in Protein also. If I really get to wanting that sweet taste which is not very often. I get one of these bars. They are very filling. I loved sweets before surgery, but since surgery I dont eat them and very seldom do I have that urge. I hope it stays that way

thank you everyone for you suggestions. I definately eat alot less sweets than before' date=' but I haven't eliminated like many successful people on this site. For those strict low carbers can you give me some pointers on how you do it?

How do you stay low on carbs, what do you do to stop your self from eating that piece of chocolate or whatever your sin is?[/quote']

I'm newly sleeved so I'm no expert but I'm working to keep simple carbs out of my house. I have limited appetite still so if I eat carbs am reducing the Protein I can eat.

I just keep thinking about how good I feel and my ultimate goal. I don't want to be that person that people talk about that lost all their weight and then gained it back.

I know a lot of things but I did not realize my recent relaxation w/ carbs is partly responsible for my increased sugar craving. Thank God I found this forum, I discovered on 12-1-12 that I do not have the dumping syndrome from chocolate cake and then I was doing some foods I had on WW's that r higher in carbs than I had been doing since WLS. I have been slowly increasing skinny cow ice cream bars & I thought I had lost my motivation.....but now that I have read this I know I can turn it around. THANK YOU!!!!!

I have been pretty good with this, but not every single day. A lifetime of cravings is really hard to deny.

I also have found that the fewer carbs, especially simple carbs I eat the easier it is.

Having sugar free pudding and sugar free popsicles and sugar free hot chocolate helps too.

I had a very weak moment this evening at Target. It came out of nowhere and I could just see myself eating a whole bag of M&Ms or a pint of ice cream. I decided to look to see if they had any Sugar Free Chocolate. Something in a very small quantity. After looking through what was there I couldn't do it. The Skinny Cow chocolate at 119 calories a serving just made me wonder if I could eat the whole box. Then I was leaving the aisle and saw the 85% uber dark chocolate. It was not a large bar and it had divided segments with 21 calories a square (Sweetriot brand). I got it and had four squares of it. I was way under my 500 calories for the day and had also done 30 minutes on the treadmill at a very steep incline, so it wasn't a guilt thing. Anyway. It tasted fantastic and I didn't want to eat much of it since it was so strong. I didn't feel tempted to have another taste an hour later.

I probably should never have gotten the thing. It really does drive home the point that this is going to be an ongoing effort and I need to make sure that I have some types of plans or diversions in place when those weak moments hit. Ideally those weak moments would go away!!!

Wow.. Now i dont feel so bad, i thought i wa the only bAd girl... This sugar thing is a problem, i was 2 days clean and my mood was terrible...